• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Slotted versus drilled disks for track days?

For many years, I've been running drilled Movit (from germany) front brakes.
These brakes use Porsche 993 turbo components i.e, 322x32 rotors and massive calipers with Pagid RS 29 (yellow) pads.
The result is very good when balanced with the appropriate rear calipers ( AP racing CP 7600) and disks ( 304x23 mm).
The only issue comes from the hairpin cracks that spread radialy from each disk hole.
I was told that if the outer holes don't crack, there is nothing to worry about?
Two years ago, I decided to upgrade to slotted Brembo 328x32 disks in order to play it safe.
[MENTION=9035]titaniumdave[/MENTION] provided my with the appropriate hats in order to use the same calipers.
Well the result is quite disappointing as a major crack developped on one of the disks as you will see on the picture.
Having broken a rear slotted disk a couple of years back, I decided to go back to the Porsche OEM drilled disk...
The good news is that they are far cheaper than the Brembo's!

IMG_1879.JPGIMG_1869.JPG

If your thumb nail catches on those cracks, time to replace.

For many years, I've been running drilled Movit (from germany) front brakes.
These brakes use Porsche 993 turbo components i.e, 322x32 rotors and massive calipers with Pagid RS 29 (yellow) pads.
The result is very good when balanced with the appropriate rear calipers ( AP racing CP 7600) and disks ( 304x23 mm).
The only issue comes from the hairpin cracks that spread radialy from each disk hole.
I was told that if the outer holes don't crack, there is nothing to worry about?
Two years ago, I decided to upgrade to slotted Brembo 328x32 disks in order to play it safe.
[MENTION=9035]titaniumdave[/MENTION] provided my with the appropriate hats in order to use the same calipers.
Well the result is quite disappointing as a major crack developped on one of the disks as you will see on the picture.
Having broken a rear slotted disk a couple of years back, I decided to go back to the Porsche OEM drilled disk...
The good news is that they are far cheaper than the Brembo's!
Same pads and calipers on both sets of rotors?

Same pads and calipers on both sets of rotors?

Yes Billy, Pagid RS 29 pads and Porsche 993 turbo calipers ( Brembo F40 I believe?).
BTW, I'm considering upgrading my rear brakes with larger disks.
One option ( the most expensive !) is to go with the Brembo GT BBK :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brembo-GT-...t&brand=Brembo&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219
Or else go with the Ksport rear kit in 330X32 mm size.
https://www.ksport.co.uk/build-brake-kit?pos=rear&make=HO&model=HO08-R
I know most people will cry when I write this but what are the facts?
Last but not least go with the Stoptech kit but I don't know if they are willing to provide a caliper with different piston sizes???

Back