• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smog Check in CA

good to know... so it is $45 including the certificate?

just curious about the gross-polluter list? I read that you just have to take it to the star station and nothing else..... guess it would get cleared once the car passed???

With the older NSX, the cats have be very hot...

Year and mileage on your car? Is it stock?

this is my go to smog guy. have done 4 old(er) cars here: volvo 245 Turbo, e30 325 vert, e46 M3, 993 c4s. owner is efficient and this place is never busy

i just brought my NSX a few weeks ago and it had to go on the dyno...after the first couple of test, he told me it wasn't looking good and offered to end the test so in case I failed the DMV wouldn't be notified. sux to fail but he was kind enough to not keep me off the gross-polluter list

https://www.yelp.com/biz/master-city-smog-test-only-center-temple-city

yup, $45. i don't have an exact understand of the gross polluter list (and now reading my response, I had meant to type "...he was kind enough to keep me off the gross-polluter list"). i've been told that even once you are cleared, you will need to smog that car every year or sooner, versus once every 2.

my is a '97 with about 42k miles. i know the PO has an aftermarket exhaust on there, and looks like high-flow cats, so maybe that had something to do with it. before testing i drove for about 30min to get the cats warmed up (basically what i do whenever i need to smog an older car)

good to know... so it is $45 including the certificate?

just curious about the gross-polluter list? I read that you just have to take it to the star station and nothing else..... guess it would get cleared once the car passed???

With the older NSX, the cats have be very hot...

Year and mileage on your car? Is it stock?

this link indicated that gross polluter cars must have inspected at the STAR stations. didn't mention being one year instead of two.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/FormsPubs/Fact_Sheets_and_Brochures/What_Is_A_Gross_Polluter_Fact_Sheet.html

yup, $45. i don't have an exact understand of the gross polluter list (and now reading my response, I had meant to type "...he was kind enough to keep me off the gross-polluter list"). i've been told that even once you are cleared, you will need to smog that car every year or sooner, versus once every 2.

my is a '97 with about 42k miles. i know the PO has an aftermarket exhaust on there, and looks like high-flow cats, so maybe that had something to do with it. before testing i drove for about 30min to get the cats warmed up (basically what i do whenever i need to smog an older car)

Hey Reagan,

It's Frankie (Lamchop168) the one that has the LBBP NSX for sale. I have someone who might be interested and is from California. He asked if my car will pass Cali Emission, well, I don't know enough to answer his question and hopefully you can help.

Here's the engine related mods:

• Comptech supercharger - Low boost
  • Comptech headers
  • Comptech exhaust system
  • Comptech ice box air intake and carbon fiber cover

Would this pass?

Thanks!

Frankie

I definitely know how you feel. Been there, done that (with too many other cars). It's just not worth having things that are not CARB certified. Sometimes it's not even worth having CARB products because you know you're risking getting hassled. Afterall... seriously, we're talking small incremental gains in HP but still having to go through the trouble of passing visual inspection (except CTSCs of course). I totally feel you on this headache. My "other" car was made in 1966 therefore smog exempt! ha!

So far i'm still fairly OEM since i'm switching to 2004 headers and high flow cats (hope I don't get hassled for this).

Also, hope this gets moved to the socal forum. I'm gonna need that Smog shop list soon enough.

Hey Reagan,

It's Frankie (Lamchop168) the one that has the LBBP NSX for sale. I have someone who might be interested and is from California. He asked if my car will pass Cali Emission, well, I don't know enough to answer his question and hopefully you can help.

Here's the engine related mods:

• Comptech supercharger - Low boost
  • Comptech headers
  • Comptech exhaust system
  • Comptech ice box air intake and carbon fiber cover

Would this pass?

Thanks!

Frankie
Technically those parts are all CARB legal so from that standpoint it should pass. However, smogging the NSX in California has been proven tricky in the recent years because the restrictions have gotten tighter and the cars older. My point being.. if it fails it usually can be repaired easily and a good smog shop familiar with the NSX can remedy it. It's usually aging cats that are the culprit.

You have a fine example for sale. If I was a CA buyer it's just a risk i'd have to take just like buying any other NSX that has legal parts installed or stock for that matter...

Last edited:
Thank you, I will let the possible buyer know.

Frankie

Technically those parts are all CARB legal so from that standpoint it should pass. However, smogging the NSX in California has been proven tricky in the recent years because the restrictions have gotten tighter and the cars older. My point being.. if it fails it usually can be repaired easily and a good smog shop familiar with the NSX can remedy it. It's usually aging cats that are the culprit.

You have a fine example for sale. If I was a CA buyer it's just a risk i'd have to take just like buying any other NSX that has legal parts installed or stock for that matter...

does your smog place do subies too? I'm planning on getting a cobb down pipe to attach to my cobb cbe .. I heard the catted downpipe passes smog tests (I know the catless doesnt 100%) is this true ?

Good morning fellow NSX pilots!

My saga:

This year I had to visit 10 shops. All were "STAR" certified. One shop could not find engine hatch release. One took covers off trying to find a coil hookup. Three admitted they did not have the equipment to test a 1993. Two lost licence. Dealer could not do it. Two had RPM pickup issues.

I finally found a place where the operator was patient and seemed to know what to do. Nevertheless my test took north of 40 minutes but my old girl passed with flying colors:
At 15 mph: HC: 86 max allowed, 28 measured; CO: .50 allowed, .03 measured; NOx: 697 allowed, 428 measured.
At 25 mph: HC: 51 allowed, 21 measured; CO: .48 allowed, .02 measured; NOx: 724 allowed, 332, 332 measured.
625 W. 6th St
Corona Ca
951 736 6095

Things I learned:
One, smog requirements are broken into three distinct groups:up to about 1985, from 1986 to 1999, 2000 and up. For this each station must have three distinct sets of test equipment. So please call ahead!!! Ask specifically if the shop can test your model year!

Two, ask if they have their licence and are compliant. As I posted above I found several shops that had the equipment but no licence!

The bottom line for One and two above: A "STAR" approved listing does not guarantee anything! Laws and shop requirements are so complex now.........call ahead. Do some checking!

Three, warm the car up. Like others who have posted, the catalytic converters must be warm (above about 900 degrees) to function. Also if the ECU thinks the engine is still cold (usually defined if coolant is less than about 160 degrees) it will force cold start enrichment. As fellow NSX drivers, I am sure you know what to do to make sure your baby is warmed up :)

Four: from what I have read (and this includes my NSX) is older ones will have the traction control stuck in the on position, probably from a stuck TCS switch (located in the dash). If this happens the shop cannot test. The Shop dyno is rear wheel only while the NSX TCS reads front wheel speed also. During testing, the rear wheels are at about 15 mph, the front at 0. This will trigger the TCS and the engine throttle cut, failing the test. To solve: pull the TCS fuse in the engine compartment (number 16). This is the power to the TCS. Now, the TCS warning light will show in the dash but thats ok...its just telling you TCS is no longer active. After a successful smog test, of course you can put the fuse back in!

Good luck to all the California NSX owners out there.

It's time for a smog on the NSX again. This time I have to take it to a STAR station. I'll have to see if the place I've been going is a STAR station.

It was time for my 2005 NSX smog again. I took it to the same place as two years ago and the same guy did it, but it took him 20 minutes to find the OBDII (OBD 2) port. I took some photos so I can show them to him in two more years, when I take it back to him. :biggrin: I thought I'd post them here in case anyone else has this problem with the person smogging your NSX.

https://www.lakeforestsmogcheck.com/

190122_121406 NSX smog.jpg

190122_121416 NSX smog.jpg

190122_124234 NSX mileage.jpeg

Last edited:
Back