• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smog Check in CA

I own and operate a Star Certified Smog station in San Gabriel. If any of you fellow X members ever need help or have any questions in regards to emissions testing, feel free to let me know.

[MENTION=24234]kday[/MENTION] - Any ideas for me here:
I've failed 3x this week all for NO@15mph. Scores are below, had the o2 and air temp sensors, as well as the cats (non-oem), replaced two years ago ahead of the car being sold to me. I've only put 5k miles in those two years; I'm currently suspecting an cruddy EGR valve is at fault here, and just dropped it at the dealer to have that inspected. Any recommendations?
NSX_Smog_History_-_Google_Sheets.jpg

Hey [MENTION=28026]bolitovt[/MENTION],Typically when we see a high NOx reading the problem is related to 1 of 3 things; Timing, EGR, and Cat converters. Though sometimes there we have issues with a/f ratios running excessively lean but your co2 measurements are normal. If the EGR valve, sensor and lines all check out the aftermarket cat will likely be the culprit.

Just had my 2 year smog here yet again. It's the same guy and he totally remembers me (and now remembers the NSX is RWD :biggrin:). Price was $50 this time. In and out in less than 15 minutes (probably closer to 10)!!
Quick, simple easy.. A+ experience!
Hi Adrian,

Is Ernesto still in business? I tried to call them for the past week and no one pick up. I need to get my NSX Smogged...Any update will be great!!!!

Doraemon

Major change in smog testing for 2000 or newer cars.

I just took my 2005 NSX for smog and there was no measuring of exhaust fumes, no revving on the dyno. The tech plugged into the unit under the dash and did an inspection. That was it. Passed and done. I think if the unit had said I had the "check engine" light tripped, the car wouldn't pass.

Last edited:
Yes I've also heard it will end up being done by customer if desired. Then uploading to dmv online.

Hmm. I wonder about that since inspecting that all the required equipment is on the car. That would be great, though. I'm sure the DMV would still find a way to make us pay. :rolleyes:

:confused: ^WTF? I was trying to say that right now, part of smogging is for the car to be inspected to be sure all the required smog equipment is on the car.

Last edited:
Hmm. I wonder about that since inspecting that all the required equipment is on the car. That would be great, though. I'm sure the DMV would still find a way to make us pay. :rolleyes:
Supposedly you have to run for like 100 miles or something. Then just dump all the records to dmv. That way even if you have mods but run clean you pass. Wouldn't that be great? I could run ITBs :)

No sniffer is almost enough a reason for me to upgrade to a 2000+ :biggrin:

How about the running it on a dyno. I hate that the most. I don't want my car taking off through the front wall when something malfunctions.

Smog-Spot-Star did a wonderful job in a timely manner. They are located 100 feet from the corner of Chico Ave. and Garvey Ave in the city of El Monte. Patrick can help you with all your smog testing needs.

Had my car smoged last weekend and I passed with no problem. I have 1997 stock engine.

The testing station is in Arcadia.

Thanks Danny! Any other members that would like to come to an NSX friendly smog station feel free to look us up.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-smog-spot-star-certified-south-el-monte-2

I think I'm going to need to come see you guys. Just failed today with really high NOX. It's what's been plaguing me the last several times but I've done pretty much everything. I installed new AIT sensor just the other day and got oil change this morning prior to test. Everything else looks great, but NOX went way up from 2 years ago. Only about 2,300 miles on car since last test too. Tech seemed to think it could be EGR related. I had that cleaned out a few years back and haven't driven it that much since. Ugh...

Capture3.jpg

Capture2.jpg

2015 - Today
Capture1.jpg

Replaced O2 sensors and cats 3 years ago also. <sigh>

it is probably the cats.

were they oem cats you replaced with and mileage on them?

I think I'm going to need to come see you guys. Just failed today with really high NOX. It's what's been plaguing me the last several times but I've done pretty much everything. I installed new AIT sensor just the other day and got oil change this morning prior to test. Everything else looks great, but NOX went way up from 2 years ago. Only about 2,300 miles on car since last test too. Tech seemed to think it could be EGR related. I had that cleaned out a few years back and haven't driven it that much since. Ugh...

View attachment 125013

View attachment 125014

2015 - Today
View attachment 125015

Replaced O2 sensors and cats 3 years ago also. <sigh>

They were OEM cats that I had put on about 3-4 years ago. They were not new, but from what I recall they had maybe about 50k miles on them. I passed with them the last time around so I didn't think those would be the issue. I don't drive my car frequently and so the mileage in the last few years has only amounted to a few thousand. At this point I don't want to deal with this headache every year. If replacing the cats with brand new ones would put an end to the smog misery, then I think I'd be willing to shell out the bucks for them. So over this crap. lol

They were OEM cats that I had put on about 3-4 years ago. They were not new, but from what I recall they had maybe about 50k miles on them. I passed with them the last time around so I didn't think those would be the issue. I don't drive my car frequently and so the mileage in the last few years has only amounted to a few thousand. At this point I don't want to deal with this headache every year. If replacing the cats with brand new ones would put an end to the smog misery, then I think I'd be willing to shell out the bucks for them. So over this crap. lol

From the research that I've done, it looks like in order to replace the cats, I need to replace the following 2 parts:

18190-PR7-A00
18160-PR7-A00

Pricing that I've found comes in at about $920 per part number. Has anyone ever replaced these with OEM? And if so, are there any additional components that would need to be replaced? What should I expect labor to run?

Any thoughts are welcome!

There is one gasket on each end. 6 bolts each and probably take less than one hour total with proper tools.

Have you looked into after market ones?

From the research that I've done, it looks like in order to replace the cats, I need to replace the following 2 parts:

18190-PR7-A00
18160-PR7-A00

Pricing that I've found comes in at about $920 per part number. Has anyone ever replaced these with OEM? And if so, are there any additional components that would need to be replaced? What should I expect labor to run?

Any thoughts are welcome!

Back