• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

so the center console trim is broken in half

guys at work were trying to remove the a/c control unit and broke the dam trim in half. it broke off at the curve, at the two thin parts.

any body has had this happened to them before?
any instructions on how to remove them properly?
i'm gonna attempt to repair it, a brand new one from a dealer is almost 600.
they have fiberglass in the FS section, but i'm not sure about those.

It's difficult to repair, it will usually crack a few months later as the part sits in the sun, and takes some abuse. The other problem is the foil coating on the console, you cannot paint over it, so you must strip this off of the plastic, then bondo and paint the OEM part. It's a fair amount of labor to complete this task, if you want it to look perfect.

If you don't care about it looking perfect, probably just superglue the crack back together and try to arrange the foil to mask the damage. I would want mine to look perfect.

Your best bet is to locate a used replacement, or if you're interested in a stereo upgrade, take the opportunity to do so now. You can find aftermarket consoles with double DIN openings in fiberglass or carbon fiber, which allows you to easily replace the OEM deck with a pioneer, etc. unit with navigation, ipod, xm, etc.

Another option is the stick-on carbon fiber trim sold by SOS, here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ucts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/CF_interior_trim_kit/
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/CF_center_console_trim/

This would mask the crack, and is probably the least expensive option.

any instructions on how to remove it?

Last edited:
To remove the console there are many DIY instructions. Briank has a good one on his website.

thanks a lot for the help guys. i'll try working on it this weekend.

holy shit this thing is hard to sand down. any suggestions or tricks on how to remove that metal/aluminum coating easily?

Here is a good start....
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35975

search is you friend:biggrin:

thanks a lot for that link.

i did some more research online and found out this is the same thing as chrome plastic grilles. when chrome starts bubbling up and peeling off.

what everybody said so for is to just sand it down to chrome/metal plating and then use some etching primer, then regular primer, and then paint to finish it off.

so far i put the two pieces back together and it feels more stronger than factory. primed it so far.
i'll post results once i'm done.

if you e-mail Chris at SOS I think they have a few OEM trims for 250. i dont know how may they have but I think a few

i already repaired it and it came out pretty decent with the amount of time i had to spend on it, even then it was still a lot of work. next time i'd know better.

but here are some pictures: waiting on the a/c control unit to come back, then i'll put it back together and post better pictures.

IMG00134.jpg

IMG00139.jpg

IMG00140.jpg

here is the final results. not as great as it looks in the pictures, but it was a very quick fix and on a minimal time allowance.

the radio needs to be re-adjusted, other than that, i think it looks good.

IMG00154.jpg

IMG00155.jpg

IMG00156.jpg

Back