• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

softened water leaving water spots

i rinsed my car yesterday, first with pressurized water to remove dust & debris. I then re-rinsed the car using spot-free water. I drove the car home expecting my car to be clean & spotfree, but checked a couple hours later and the car was full or water spots. Any suggestions...-thanks

i always wash my car in the late afternoon once the sun is about to go down.
if you need to wash it during the day, do it in the shade or in the garage.
dry off with towels and your done.

just keep out of the sun. if you let the sun dry up any water on your car it will leave water marks that will be really hard to get rid of. ESPECIALLY on your black car.

wash your car at home during the evening in the shade.
polish your car with a coat of zaino.
garage it over night.
any remaining water in hidden pockets should dry up by then.
and repeat each week and you car will look slick.

after a month or 2 you wont even have to wash your car once you got enough coats of zaino. water will bead off your finish and dust will be easily removed with a california duster.

I washed my car at 10pm

Are you sure that it's water spots and not nicotine spots? :biggrin:

Seriously though, you drive around with water on your car and the water is going to pick up dust. Plus if you went to one of those coin op car washes, that water is not necessarily spot free. If you dried it by hand, you'd get the exercise you need and probably less water spots. :)

Are you asking for advice to remove the spots or how to keep this from happening?

Water softeners don't remove the hardness it just replaces it with something else. Normally the calcium / magnesium are replaced with Sodium. So softened water is not spot free water. After getting all the dirt off you need to wipe or squeegee off the remaining water to reduce water spotting. I will also sometimes do a wipe down with distilled water.

Malibu Rapper said:
Are you sure that it's water spots and not nicotine spots? :biggrin:

Seriously though, you drive around with water on your car and the water is going to pick up dust. Plus if you went to one of those coin op car washes, that water is not necessarily spot free. If you dried it by hand, you'd get the exercise you need and probably less water spots. :)

he's right you know.
dry it by hand completly and you should be free of water spots.
works for me all the time.

use Meguires Quick Detailer spray for between washes if you want to remove spots like near the fenders.

We use filtered water (minerals and chlorine removal) but we still notice spots if we don't dry the car right away since the filter never really takes all the chemicals and minerals out. Correct about the water softener which uses salt to soften the water which leaves spots.

After washing, always dry the car to prevent it from getting dirty again. Remeber, in the past, people used a dish of water to filter the air in a room as it collected the dust so think of what your car is doing and expecially if it is sitting outside.

After you dry the car, there will still be spots you've missed so follow with a quality instant detailer to help remove any remaining water spots and some have wax in it so you get a little more protection.

Q. When is the proper time to use my instant detailer?
A. The only time is when your car is clean. And it’s only clean right after you wash it or when it’s covered. Don't use an instant detailer on a dirty car since it will promote scratches.

Back