• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS JB4 Tuning Box

Looks like a great deal on these for under $1,000. Any reason whey you went with Potenza vs. Conti DWS? I think Pat wanted DWS but the rears weren't available at the time of his order. I've used DWS on most of my cars in the past but willing to try Potenza if better tires and less expensive.
They are a little better for dry performance, I get another 4 months use out of my car with full grip and feel safe.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230

They are a little better for dry performance, I get another 4 months use out of my car with full grip and feel safe.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230

Nice find. I am sure marketing gimmick but Conti DWS 06 is now PLUS - plus what who knows but I found this:

Featuring an updated, performance-tuned all-season tread compound molded into an updated asymmetric tread design and utilizing SPORTPLUS+ Technology, the ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS is built for enhanced handling and braking performance. Macro-Blocks and Chamfered block edges help improve ultimate dry road traction and provide increased cornering responsiveness. Generous high angle and circumferential grooves help evacuate water from the contact patch for increased hydroplaning resistance. 3D sipes help retain handling precision while increasing the number of biting edges for improved wet traction, while X-Sipes are utilized to improve lateral and longitudinal grip in inclement weather. Traction grooves within the circumferential channels further enhance winter weather traction by improving snow-to-snow traction.

Can you run a mix of E85 and 93 on a stock car or is it not needed unless it’s tuned as well ?

I don’t believe our cars are setup to run E85. While the octane rating is good, the corrosive properties could be a problem? As to your question about a stock car, 93 octane should not result in your car retarding the timing, so upping the octane should not benefit. A safer way to go is to blend 100 octane racing fuel. If you are running a tune then adding 100 octane will result in more horsepower. SOS has done a lot of testing and has info.

I just bought the potenza re980 as, full grip in 30 to 65 deg weather. 0-60 in 3 seconds flat with 2 passengers at 1100 ft elevation. Watch Pats online garage YouTube video, awesome tires and they are cheap.

Thanks - I need to put new tires on mine before selling. Those should be perfect.

Also very interested in the long term reliability and drivability of the jb4. Anyone have experience that can post their thoughts?

I'm the one with the fastest 2nd Gen so far. Eventually someone will go faster only a matter of time and I hope they do.

I am using the JB4 on Map 3, but I am running E45 to get 98/100 Octane (Half E85 and Half 93)

I just have the JB4 and Michelin 4S tires. Car is 100% stock mechanically.

I do have a fully optioned out car which is about 70lbs lighter between the rotors and roof.

Video of some of my runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdeSa-w8Vzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bC_wvymPEs

As for service I do my own oil changes and Twin Motor Unit fluid change so I haven't crossed that bridge, but if something serious was an issue I would remove before going to an Acura dealer just to be safe. Some dealers are ok with mods and others are not.

I haven't had any issues with the JB4. It was installed October 2019 and I've put maybe 4,000 miles on the car since then.

Hi! I saw your video on Youtube before signing up here. Curious, is the drag strip you're running 1,320 ft? Or 1,000 ft? I have every bolt-on including the C&R IC and JB4 running map 3 (98 octane) with 100 octane race fuel and for some reason cannot break my 1.8 60ft. I keep running 10.8's which is slow considering the modifications I have. I'm thinking it might be my after market 3 piece wheels and the Cup 2 tires effecting the ET. Have you had any issues running Ethanol blend? Any CEL? Or the dreaded BRAKE WARNING light? I will run E45 if I know the ECU won't be triggered into limp mode.

Thanks!

I have had my JB4 and all supporting mods for a year now. Have drag raced, road course and many canyon runs no real issues. I did have the brake warning light come on and locked me out of Sport+ and Track mode until I parked the car, shut it off, got out and locked the car walked away for 10 minutes where the ECU could not detect the key fob, then restarted the car. It cleared but I don't know if it was related to the JB4. I do know that the NSX has to have the oil temp in operating range before boosting at WOT, otherwise the signal interception from the JB4 will confuse the ECU and it will go into limp mode. I generally leave mine in Sport Mode and in auto and drive for around 15 minutes before WOT in any modes. There was a major software update to version 91/10//5 which resolved map 3 (98 Octane) for us IOS users. Map 3 wasn't hitting target boost as written prior to the revision.

Hi I am looking at used NSX but need to bring it to California and need to turn the JB4 off for smog certification. I heard there is a disable plug on it which i want to be able to turn on or off. Can anyone share pic or details on where it is in the engine? Thanks!

I have heard that you may not need to smog the car as yet. Worth checking out. Contact your local Acura Dealer and ask them.

This is from the CA DMV:

[COLOR=var(--c-dark-blue)]Your vehicle does not need a smog inspection if your:[/COLOR]

• Gasoline-powered vehicle is a 1975 year model or older (This includes motorcycles and trailers.)
  • Diesel-powered vehicle is a 1997 and older year model OR with a Gross Vehicle Weight of more than 14,000 pounds.