• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS Twin Turbo- ASM twin scroll turbo

Does anyone have knowledge of both these kits, how they drive, any similarities, differences. Just looking for as much info as possible that could make deciding between one or the other for a build.
Thanks Mike

Both are very well thought out and reliable kits. The SOS definitely has the advantage of time and mileage- there are several on the road with significant mileage and no issues. Hugh's "Charlotte" is probably the most famous- well over 100,000 trouble-free miles on the SOS system. Using one small turbo for each cylinder bank is closest to Honda's own turbo design for the C30/32 (LeMans GT1), as it provides crisp throttle response and better low-end torque with minimal lag. I would recommend getting the kit installed and tuned at SOS directly. Almost all of the turbo problems we've seen over the years here on Prime can be traced to a DIY install, poor tuning, or a shop that makes mistakes.

The ASM kit is also quite innovative because it uses a twin-scroll single turbo tuned to the high compression of the C30. AWM in Finland designed this kit and they are legit- no corners cut here at all. Again, I would recommend going with the tuning/ECU option they recommend for your application.

As for which one is "better"? That depends on your intended application and, quite frankly, who installs and tunes it. If I were racing, I'd probably get the ASM. For a street car, I'd go SOS. JMO

I think I’m just about ready to pull the trigger on an SOS kit. It’s proven reliability and factory like fit and finish really appeals to me. Although that new Intercooled supercharger setup looks really clean. Biggest thing for me is shipping my car all the way to SOS. I don’t know of anyone in NY I can trust to do tune it right.

I’m Curious How the E85 and 93 tunes work? Let’s say I get questionable E85 or I’m on a road trip and can’t find it, will the tune correct for that automatically? Can you mix the fuels I’m assuming you can E85 is just a higher percentage of ethanol so it burns colder. But what controls timing and A/F ratio will an aftermarket tune adjust automatically like a stock ECU. I know you need monster injectors and a higher flow fuel pump for E85. I have a buddy that runs E85 on his drag car and he’s constantly testing it because the E85 pumps are so inconsistent. I don’t want to have to test the gas on every fill up, but would like the option for extra power. Also my car gets stored all winter E85 has a garbage shelf life so if my car sits over the winter with E85 the tank is not going to be the same come springtime.

If I had a a local tuner I would even look into the Angus kit maybe build off that.

Last edited:
[MENTION=13630]DRIFTER[/MENTION] I had my SOS TT kit installed and tuned at Source 1 near Cincinnati. Brian's a perfectionist and his NSX builder Ryan is top notch. When they installed my setup, they also had contact with SOS. So far, nearly 3000 miles and a bit over a year in, and no troubles. Post install support including adjustment of my tune has been excellent.

Another option is Carl Hernandez at Black Box Tuning in Maryland, which is a bit closer to you.

If I lived on the other side of the country, getting it to SOS would be a no-brainer.

Oh good to know there is someone more local that has experience installing an SOS kit. I will look into that thanks.

I think I’m just about ready to pull the trigger on an SOS kit. It’s proven reliability and factory like fit and finish really appeals to me. Although that new Intercooled supercharger setup looks really clean. Biggest thing for me is shipping my car all the way to SOS. I don’t know of anyone in NY I can trust to do tune it right.

I’m Curious How the E85 and 93 tunes work? Let’s say I get questionable E85 or I’m on a road trip and can’t find it, will the tune correct for that automatically? Can you mix the fuels I’m assuming you can E85 is just a higher percentage of ethanol so it burns colder. But what controls timing and A/F ratio will an aftermarket tune adjust automatically like a stock ECU. I know you need monster injectors and a higher flow fuel pump for E85. I have a buddy that runs E85 on his drag car and he’s constantly testing it because the E85 pumps are so inconsistent. I don’t want to have to test the gas on every fill up, but would like the option for extra power. Also my car gets stored all winter E85 has a garbage shelf life so if my car sits over the winter with E85 the tank is not going to be the same come springtime.

If I had a a local tuner I would even look into the Angus kit maybe build off that.

I believe SOS also sells a flex fuel kit with a sensor that communicates ethanol levels to your EMS. A good tuner should be able to set the car up to compensate for varying levels of ethanol. This ends up ideal since you can choose to run regular unleaded or E85 depending on what's available. It also gives you the option to store your car with regular fuel in it and avoid any issues that can arise from storing a car with E85 (e.g. injector corrosion).

Back