• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sound baffler removal??

I was told that the Nsx has a sound baffler inside the driver side intake panel.
I haven't looked for it yet as its Late at night and I'm about to hit the sack but my question is - do we in fact have one and secondly has anyone here removed yours? If so is the sound better and the air flow increased? Can it cause any issues to remove it?
Thanks

The oem intake has a resonator chamber tube on it. Most people just replace the intake with one of the more open aftermarket types. The sound is great and you can see the air flow would be increased.

Mike

fyi.... That is the actually the oem intake duct in the picture. The resonator is a tube that attaches to the top of the oem duct (in the picture), it's just not on that one.

Like this.
d_111[1].jpg

Last edited:
The oem intake has a resonator chamber tube on it. Most people just replace the intake with one of the more open aftermarket types. The sound is great and you can see the air flow would be increased.

Mike

fyi.... That is the actually the oem intake duct in the picture. The resonator is a tube that attaches to the top of the oem duct (in the picture), it's just not on that one.

Like this.
d_111[1].jpg

Thank u
Where can I purchase one of these scoops?

This is the downforce available at SOS. It's the same one i have.

It's kind of strange but the outside of the duct is finished even though it's not seen. The inside is coarse unfinished fiberglass and can be seen through the side vent. I guess i'm anal but i coated the inside with poly, sanded it down smooth and painted it black. Since it's smooth inside now it should be better for air flow, at least that what i tell my self :redface:.

Mike

I don't believe there have been any measurable gains by switching to the SOS scoop over OEM. Might make it louder though...

I don't believe there have been any measurable gains by switching to the SOS scoop over OEM. Might make it louder though...

That is at odds with Honda developing this intake for their LeMans efforts. If it didn't work, why would they bother?

That is at odds with Honda developing this intake for their LeMans efforts. If it didn't work, why would they bother?

The LeMans cars were turbo, and the intakes went into the turbo they didn't use the oem location so.... This design didn't come from Honda's Lemans efforts. :rolleyes:

The LeMans cars were turbo, and the intakes went into the turbo they didn't use the oem location so.... This design didn't come from Honda's Lemans efforts.

Really? I read on the Dali site that they are "cast directly from the intake of the 1994-95 GT-NSX Le Mans racer ". Now, that might be the first time I read something on the Internet that wasn't true! :biggrin:

Cheap easy mod. I heard(haven't done this yet) that the hardest part is putting the wheel well fender back on.

any cons of doing this?

Kinda...

They do not come with a Grill, if you have removed the grill from your fender it may suck something in with the bigger opening.

Also you can get water sit in the bottom.

2 easy fixes.

Fit a Grill

Drill small drain holes in the bottom.

Simples... ;)

Really? I read on the Dali site that they are "cast directly from the intake of the 1994-95 GT-NSX Le Mans racer ". Now, that might be the first time I read something on the Internet that wasn't true! :biggrin:

It may have been modeled after the intake from the Le Mans NSX, but it may have been an intake to bring air to something else like an intercooler instead...

OK, maybe I was wrong - they did have one NA NSX that ran.

24 Hours of Le Mans

The NSX made three appearances at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, in 1994, 1995 and 1996.

Three Honda NSXs were entered in the 1994 24 Hours of Le Mans. Cars numbers 46, 47 and 48 were prepared and run by team Kremer Racing Honda, with Team Kunimitsu assisting and driving the number 47 car. All were in the GT2 class, and all completed the race, but placed 14th, 16th and 18th.

Three Honda NSXs were entered in the 1995 24 Hours of Le Mans. Honda's factory team brought two turbocharged NSXs which were entered in the GT1 class numbered 46 and 47. Car 46 finished but was not classified for failing to complete 70% of the distance of the race winner. Car 47 did not finish due to clutch and gearbox failure. The third NSX, number 84, was prepared as a naturally aspirated car and run by Team Kunimitsu Honda in the GT2 class. This NSX, driven by Keiichi Tsuchiya, Akira Iida, and Kunimitsu Takahashi, placed 8th overall and first in the GT2 class after completing 275 laps. This NSX was featured in the game Gran Turismo.

For the 1996 24 Hours of Le Mans, only the Team Kunimitsu Honda NSX returned with the same drivers. It completed 305 laps to finish in the 16th position overall, and third in the GT2 class.

Last edited:
Fyi... Found a good picture of the resonator in the repair manual. You can see it is a big tube that goes nowhere. It's sealed on the end.

4d74e087.jpg

Fyi... Found a good picture of the resonator in the repair manual. You can see it is a big tube that goes nowhere. It's sealed on the end.

4d74e087.jpg

Excellent dude! I removed my factory intake scoop today and as crazy as it sounds I swear my throttle feels more responsive and stronger as well as the sound is louder :)
I will have my mechanic yank that resonator tomorrow as well now that I know where it's at. Thanks!

OK, maybe I was wrong - they did have one NA NSX that ran.

24 Hours of Le Mans

The NSX made three appearances at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, in 1994, 1995 and 1996.

Three Honda NSXs were entered in the 1994 24 Hours of Le Mans. Cars numbers 46, 47 and 48 were prepared and run by team Kremer Racing Honda, with Team Kunimitsu assisting and driving the number 47 car. All were in the GT2 class, and all completed the race, but placed 14th, 16th and 18th.

Three Honda NSXs were entered in the 1995 24 Hours of Le Mans. Honda's factory team brought two turbocharged NSXs which were entered in the GT1 class numbered 46 and 47. Car 46 finished but was not classified for failing to complete 70% of the distance of the race winner. Car 47 did not finish due to clutch and gearbox failure. The third NSX, number 84, was prepared as a naturally aspirated car and run by Team Kunimitsu Honda in the GT2 class. This NSX, driven by Keiichi Tsuchiya, Akira Iida, and Kunimitsu Takahashi, placed 8th overall and first in the GT2 class after completing 275 laps. This NSX was featured in the game Gran Turismo.

For the 1996 24 Hours of Le Mans, only the Team Kunimitsu Honda NSX returned with the same drivers. It completed 305 laps to finish in the 16th position overall, and third in the GT2 class.

Lol. As I can surely appreciate your knowledge or abillity to research then copy and paste ;) come on man, resding this hurt my brain!
Haha!

Excellent dude! I removed my factory intake scoop today and as crazy as it sounds I swear my throttle feels more responsive and stronger as well as the sound is louder :)
I will have my mechanic yank that resonator tomorrow as well now that I know where it's at. Thanks!

More the likely if he removed that factory scoop in there he removed the resonator also. If not it hooks into the scoop so wouldn't really make a difference removed now since the scoop is removed

Back