• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Squeak under Driver's Seat/Steering "Feel"

Hey folks,
My first questions to the forum... but first a little background. I'm the proud owner of a '94 Brooklands Green Pearl coupe, with 30000 miles. I have been lurkin' for the past few months, absorbing all the collected wisdom here (and the humour ;-)), and I now have two questions--1) has anyone ever had a problem with a loud squeak under the driver's seat? I've tried WD40, and my service guy has tried to debug it, with no luck. Question #2) I was just out for a spin this morning, with the middle number "4", and I observed the steering feeling quite light and loose...is this normal? I was getting a fair amount of vibration as well (I'm running Pirelli 7000's). This may be natural at those speeds, and I'll just have to get used to it (shucks...). Thanks for any responses/comments.

------------------
Steve
'94 Brooklands Green Coupe (stock)
'01 Lexus GS430

Can't help with the seat except mine twists and binds sometimes when moving forward so it squeaks then. I move it back and try again
and it works but I've no idea why. Maybe a lot of dirt?
What does middle 4 mean? If you are going 240 then the front end may be vibrating but it shouldn't. I have never gone that fast because the front end felt too light at speed. If you vibrate at 140 then something is really wrong so maybe you have a tire problem. Again I don't understand what you mean.

My first questions to the forum...

Welcome! Nice to hear from you.

1) has anyone ever had a problem with a loud squeak under the driver's seat?

No, but once I had a mouse in my garage, so maybe...
biggrin.gif
j/k

#2) I was just out for a spin this morning, with the middle number "4", and I observed the steering feeling quite light and loose...is this normal? I was getting a fair amount of vibration as well (I'm running Pirelli 7000's).

My steering at 140 is solid as a rock, with no vibration. (Last time I went this fast was last weekend at Road America where it was legal, so I can admit to it.) It's felt this way with OEM tires as well as track tires. It's possible that the "looseness" is lack of responsiveness at those speeds with that particular model of tire, but this is just a guess on my part and ICBW.

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your questions, I, too, noticed a squeak in my driver's seat but it ended up being ME. You see, ever since I bought my NSX I've become sort of a "tight ass" with money and my ass is so tight now that everywhere I go I tend to "squeak" when I walk.
smile.gif
In all seriousness if you haven't removed the seat you may find that something like pocket change has fallen into the track and is binding up the screw drive in the motor assembly. I once thought the driver's seat motor had gone bad and upon closer inspection I found a ball point pen lodged in the track that was preventing the seat from moving forward when my wife would adjust it closer for driving.

The vibration may be caused by your tires being out of balance. If you can feel the vibration in the steering wheel and you are not applying the brakes it's a strong possibility.

Just wanted to welcome you with a little humor.

Thanks, Chris--that's the great thing about this group-we tend to see the lighter side...

Appreciate the info. on the steering--at legal speeds, the steering is quite tight and communicative. I don't even miss power steering, except in tight spaces. It doesn't help that the NSX has the turning radius of a Suburban ;-).

I need to debug the seat squeak a little further--I'll get to the bottom (groan) of this yet!

Originally posted by bonzo:
It doesn't help that the NSX has the turning radius of a Suburban ;-).

to solve this problem;
1. disengage TCS
2. put in first and disengage clutch, while turning sharp in desired direction and pressing accelerator fairly hard.
3. watch ass end come around in greatly reduced radius
4. correct and head in direction of tire store!!

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 13 May 2001).]

Back