• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SRS reset, airbags and belts

My 95 was in a light accident and I'm frustrated the bags went off. Must have hit the sweet spot or something. Now I'm left with fixing my interior.

Can the SRS module be reset?
I've found places to repair the seat belts, is it worth it? They're obviously locked since the srs system went off
There's also many airbags for sale on here, which years are compatible with others?

I've also debated putting aftermarket belts and a nicer wheel on - but I've read I might not have a cruise control then - is that correct? I go on long trips and would like it. Does everyone who has an aftermarket wheel or belts have an srs light? just seems like an annoyance to have on but I've never had a car where the bags went off in my face - that was a different experience consider the low speed and very minimal damage.

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate the help on here!

thank you!!

Check your dash for cracks in the structure, I bought a dash once and the guy didn't mention it had the airbag go off and the foam was cracked.

You have a few choices - but every choice except putting it back to stock leaves you with less safety.

- You can install any aftermarket wheel you like - you could also delete the pass airbag with a custom tray or change to a 91-style dash

- If doing that, you could also open the seat belts and remove the locks, I saw this once and they then function just like a 91 style belt.

Keep in mind, as I said - none of the choices are as safe as keeping the factory stuff - but then nothings as safe as staying home behind locked doors either.

thank you for the response.

I'd like to keep it factory if possible still - My main concern doing that is resetting the srs module. If it can be reset, I'd like to do that somehow but I don't know if any companies are able to.

*edit*

found a company that can do the srs reset for $50 with shipping but they don't do the seat belts so I'm going to continue my search. I want it as stock as possible. I just need to search for airbags at this point and figure out which ones are compatible with each other.

Last edited:
For the driver's airbag all years work 1991 - 2005. For the passenger's airbag, both seat belts and airbag module any years 1993 - 2005 will work.

Some cars need the clock spring in the steering wheel replaced after the airbag blows. If this is your case all years work 1991 - 2005.

I wound up taking the locks out of mine for the time being. I have all the airbags removed at this point. I didn't realize how heavy the passenger airbag is. I want to put bags back in at some point but am fine without them for now (just want the car at oem safety standards). I havent got around to resetting the light yet - hasn't annoyed me enough to deal with it.

unlocking a the seatbelt is dumb it will not fire if its ever in a wreck again the next person could die

your seatbelt has a pressurized canister the fires like an airbag once its fired you need to get a new one not open the case and unlock it.

your SRS brain has crash DATA recorded, like a black box this data needs to be erased you need to send it off to anyone that has the laptop and the harness to plug it in and the software to read it.

your passengerside airbag after it deploys the dash will be cracked everytime I have not seen one yet that is not cracked.

Seatbelt still locks like earlier years. Srs is just removed from it. Dash is fine. Tore it apart already. I'm aware how the Srs system works. Like I stated, it'll be replaced.

Countless people run other steering wheels without airbags in them.

I ended up finding a guy to do the same thing on my seat belts. They retract fine now but the pretensioner has been disabled which doesn't bother me in the least. I still feel a lot safer with a "normal" seatbelt and in my NSX than I do on my motorcycle. Some of the people on here are real nazis about airbags and belts. I suppose they wouldn't ever ride in any classic car or any kind of motorcycle, off road vehicle, bus or boat either since they don't have multiple airbags and seat belt pretensioners. It turns out my airbags were replaced already so now everything is good. My SRS light was being tripped by the seatbelt sensor which I was able to disable extremely easily and cheaply and it is fully and very easily reversible if you're interested let me know.

Sorry for replying to a rather old thread but just to clarify things: The NSX's SRS ECU does not contain any data recording functionality.
Whether it needs to be replaced after a firing (due to other reasons) is a different topic, though.

unlocking a the seatbelt is dumb it will not fire if its ever in a wreck again the next person could die

your seatbelt has a pressurized canister the fires like an airbag once its fired you need to get a new one not open the case and unlock it.

your SRS brain has crash DATA recorded, like a black box this data needs to be erased you need to send it off to anyone that has the laptop and the harness to plug it in and the software to read it.

your passengerside airbag after it deploys the dash will be cracked everytime I have not seen one yet that is not cracked.

Back