• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SRS unit repair how-to

Guys, just wanted to drop a note on "fixing" a '91 SRS unit that's gone south like mine did. I had leaky caps, burnt traces, etc. It was a mess.

I know some guys have either ordered new NSX units from Honda for like $700 (although looks like they're actually not even available anymore?), or sent theirs off to get repaired - which probably cost close to a couple hundo and may or may not have worked. Good news is, your unit has the EXACT same guts as the SRS out of the '91-93 Acura Legend - and you can find those units in perfect shape on eBay for $20-$30 shipped. Only thing different is the case - so just pop them open and swap out the circuit boards. It's literally just a couple screws. Part number is 77960-SL0-A82 or 77960-SP0-A82.

pins.jpgboards.jpg

This guy has an awesome write-up on how to get your SRS unit out in the first place. http://sarasotadetail.com/gallery2/d...dfc04bc0e9aab2

I'll add just 1 note to it:
- There are 4 Torx screws that hold the SRS unit in the car, and they're held in there very snugly with Locktite. The ONLY way to get them out without stripping the heads of the Torx screws is to apply heat. I used a butane torch like you would use to sweat copper pipe. If you have a butane jet lighter, that'd probably work too. There will be some wires/carpet in the vicinity, but if you're paying attention to what you're doing, you'll be just fine. I strongly recommend that you use a Torx screwdriver instead of a wrench so that it limits the amount of torque you can put on the bolt. That'll tell you whether you've applied enough heat. If you use the wrench, I can almost guarantee you'll strip it.

Hope this saves you guys a couple bucks/hours. Always nice to clear a light off the dash. Oh yeah, and your airbag(s) will work too.

-JP

No torch needed use some small vise grips for a few turns and they come out easy with the torq wrench.

- - - Updated - - -

good find though very very good

Glad the write up helped. Amazing I randomly read this thread tonight. I wrote that up under my previous username. Changed it a year or so back for some reason I can't recall. Good find on the components.

This has worked for people right? I just ordered one and figured I would try it out while my car is in pieces. It would be nice to get that stupid light turned off.

-Alec

OK so I pulled this off, but still have my SRS light on. I felt like it was going to work when I pulled the old board and saw all the black on the bottom of the circuit board and saw all the leaky capacitors. I am going to go back and check the fuse and just hope it isn't the wire cable thing. My horn works now, but the cruise control still does not.

-Alec

If you have black on the bottom of the board I would be concerned it may have permanent damage. Maybe BrianK would know.

Yeah it is for sure permanent damage. I mean the capacitors could probably still be replaced, but the black is from burn marks so who knows how many other solder points may be compromised. That is why I switched out my SRS board entirely.

-Alec

Back