• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steer rack making screeching sound when turning steering wheel to the right

I had my steering rack rebuilt in 2019 by Matt Lindsay. Recently I've started to hear screeching noises when I turn the steering wheel, and an NSX master mechanic today, upon inspection, that he believes it is the steering rack. I have a vague recollection that Matt passed a way a year or two ago. Is this true? Also, does anyone know another reputable vendor who services/repairs steering racks?

I had my steering rack rebuilt in 2019 by Matt Lindsay. Recently I've started to hear screeching noises when I turn the steering wheel, and an NSX master mechanic today, upon inspection, that he believes it is the steering rack. I have a vague recollection that Matt passed a way a year or two ago. Is this true? Also, does anyone know another reputable vendor who services/repairs steering racks?

Matt did sadly pass away a few years ago. However, as mentioned above, NSX Rack repair is still running strong and Charles is still doing the work. I would reach out to him. Matt and Charles are both stand up guys and I'm sure they'll work with you. Is it an EPS or manual rack?

It is a 1998 NSX-R manual, so EPS?

Honda stopped making the NA1 NSX-R in 1996, or do you mean it is a 1998 NA2 retrofitted with the 2002+ NSX-R 6-speed manual? If the latter, it's likely an EPS since all 1998 models sold in the U.S. came with the EPS. I only ask because I've never heard of a manual rack screeching before. It must be the EPS motor.

As the previous posters said, Charles is running the show over at NSX Rack Repair now.

I purchased a used EPS rack from someone who had it rebuilt by NSX Rack Repair but never installed it after the rebuild. The rack had some issues that became apparent after installing it on my car, so I contacted Charles for advice. Even though the warranty on the previous rebuild had expired, he was extremely helpful and worked with me to get the rack rebuilt again.

If you contact Charles, I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

Just spoke with Charles about sending in my 97 rack. Low miles, but it just feels vague, bumpy and doesnt return to center very well. Hopefully, it will be worth the dough.

Back