• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering Rack Knock Bush

Request

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the purchase i have a bush on its way to the US to a purchaser who hadn't received their bush in the normal time frame of 10 business days. The day i sent a replacement they received the original bush. As soon as they receive it ill get them to forward it on to you. I will keep you posted on the progress.

Please let me know if you require further info or assistance.

Les

Hi Les,
I am hoping to avoid any unnecessary delays by requesting that you send me a knock bush directly.
My experience in dealing with other prime members has been positive and I have no doubts about your intentions. I am just a little uncomfortable with this arrangement since your customer has no obligation to me, and I have no information to go on.
I hope you understand the reason for my request.
Respectfully,
Rick

Hi Les,
I am hoping to avoid any unnecessary delays by requesting that you send me a knock bush directly.
My experience in dealing with other prime members has been positive and I have no doubts about your intentions. I am just a little uncomfortable with this arrangement since your customer has no obligation to me, and I have no information to go on.
I hope you understand the reason for my request.
Respectfully,
Rick

As per my email response to you re: the above

Hi Rick thanks for your email,

The replacement bush sent to another client should be in the US already once received the client assured me he will repost to you as soon as he receives it I have no reason this wont happen.

However I do understand your concerns if you had informed me upon ordering and being notified of how your bush will be sent to you I would have sent a separate bush to you then. We are now 10 days from your order, if I was to send a separate bush to you now it will take further shipping time for you to receive your bush.

Please confirm what you would like me to do from here.

Many thanks,

Bush

Hi Less,
Is there any word from your customer yet on their receiving the second bush and if it has been forwarded on to me? I have no reason to doubt anyone's intentions or word and my only goal is to get my hands on the part.
If I receive it in the next couple days I'll let you know that or that I need one sent directly.
Thank you,
Rickinsd

Hi Less,
Is there any word from your customer yet on their receiving the second bush and if it has been forwarded on to me? I have no reason to doubt anyone's intentions or word and my only goal is to get my hands on the part.
If I receive it in the next couple days I'll let you know that or that I need one sent directly.
Thank you,
Rickinsd

Hi Rick,

Your bush has arrived in the US so i will have it forwarded onto you asap.

Les

- - - Updated - - -

Money sent

-Mike

Thanks Mike,

Bush sent let me know if you need any assistance or info.

Les

Latest batch of NSX Knock Bush's for manual racks just arrived and ready to ship keeping the price at $120.00USD including FREE worldwide shipping for Prime members (usual price $150.00).

Hi, guys here in the land of Oz we have engineered a solution to eliminate steering rack knock experienced by older and/or high km/mileage NSX’s by using the NSX Knock Bush.

What we have found is the rack knock is caused by the rack housing on the passenger side wearing - there is no bearing or bush on this end so after years of driving and off-side road pot holes the aluminum housing wears and the rack shaft has slop and causes knock over low speed bumps.

Easy to identify where the knock is coming from - jack passenger front wheel up and check if there is sideways or top knock/movement. Any sideways knock/movement then the rack housing is worn which either requires replacement (very expensive) or fitment of the NSX Knock Bush. If you find top/bottom knock or movement then there’s another issue other than the rack, most likely warn top or bottom ball joints.

Attached is a pic of the bush and installation video only takes approximately 1/2 hour to fit and no special tools required.

I have had my NSX Knock Bush fitted for over 3 years know with no problems (approx 10,000kms) and 6-8 track days.

Summary
• Easy to identify knock cause
• No special tools or equipment required
• Low cost of repair (compared to only other option – rack replacement)

The NSX Knock Bush is in stock and ready to ship.

Please pm me if you require further info and/or pricing (got nothing to hide its $150.00US inc. freight)

PayPal is the preferred payment option use: [email protected] and reference NSX Knock Bush including your delivery details.

Hi Silverback I just pm'd you however for the benefit of EPS rack owners a housing bush is currently under development and will be available shortly.

Care must be taken to correctly diagnose the knock in an EPS rack as there are other issues a knock bush fitment wont rectify.

I have a EPS light and a knock in my 92 Auto... who does the rack rebuild where ALL problem areas are addressed ?

I have a EPS light and a knock in my 92 Auto... who does the rack rebuild where ALL problem areas are addressed ?

Hi Rizzo, D1 Guy on prime is the guy to send a pm to he is a marvel at rebuilding EPS racks.

Latest batch of NSX Knock Bush's for manual racks just arrived and ready to ship keeping the price at $120.00USD including FREE worldwide shipping for Prime members (usual price $150.00).

Bump

Just a reminder for the latest bunch of purchasers of the new below installation proceedure.

*** STOP THE PRESS ***

I just successfully installed my knock bush and the good news is ... I did it WITHOUT REMOVING THE TIE ROD from the front wheel hub! I was speaking to Les before starting when he had a brainwave ... the universal ball joint on the steering rack end of the tie rod allows 360 degrees of rotation of the lock nut / thread so it can simply be unscrewed (once the lock washer is folded back), without disconnecting the wheel end of the tie rod.

A few pointers: There's not much room to get at the lock washer and undo the nut. It's difficult to get in and hammer a screwdriver under the lock washer, plus it's quite soft metal and only gets deformed/torn. I found I could simply pry it up with a sharp tipped screwdriver using the universal as a fulcrum. After that loosing the lock nut is a bit of a juggle but after sorting through a variety of open ended spanners I found a couple that worked well in the confined space (using 1/12 of a turn at a time, 17mm for the lock nut, 19mm for holding the steering rack still). Also separating the ABS signal wire bracket from the lower arm adds a bit more space.

Aligning the thread and getting it to take when screwing the tie rod back onto the steering rack is a bit tricky because it's still connected to the wheel at the other end. This restricts freedom for that delicate first thread and it's complicated by the need to apply just enough pressure for the thread to take vs making the universal joint collapse at the critical moment. After a few goes I managed this using a long screwdriver on the wheel hub to apply the right pressure, or just find a second pair of hands to help.

I've attached a few photos, including one of the lock washer part number if you choose to replace it.

BTW car steers beautifully after this mod... no knocking yay!

Les ... you need to update your first post in this thread to mention this new technique .... and no need to wheel align.

View attachment 129408 View attachment 129409 View attachment 129410 View attachment 129411 View attachment 129412

Thanks Chris for the write-up and pics after all this time i cant believe it didn't occur to me that the installation of the knock bush could be installed without the need to remove the tie-rod end.

This has meant that not only the time required to install the knock bush is less than an hour, no special tools are required to remove the tie-rod end and there's no need for re-alignment.

Your a champ Chris.

Cheers,

Les

Just a reminder for the latest bunch of purchasers of the new below installation proceedure.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
*** STOP THE PRESS ***

I just successfully installed my knock bush and the good news is ... I did it WITHOUT REMOVING THE TIE ROD from the front wheel hub! I was speaking to Les before starting when he had a brainwave ... the universal ball joint on the steering rack end of the tie rod allows 360 degrees of rotation of the lock nut / thread so it can simply be unscrewed (once the lock washer is folded back), without disconnecting the wheel end of the tie rod.

A few pointers: There's not much room to get at the lock washer and undo the nut. It's difficult to get in and hammer a screwdriver under the lock washer, plus it's quite soft metal and only gets deformed/torn. I found I could simply pry it up with a sharp tipped screwdriver using the universal as a fulcrum. After that loosing the lock nut is a bit of a juggle but after sorting through a variety of open ended spanners I found a couple that worked well in the confined space (using 1/12 of a turn at a time, 17mm for the lock nut, 19mm for holding the steering rack still). Also separating the ABS signal wire bracket from the lower arm adds a bit more space.

Aligning the thread and getting it to take when screwing the tie rod back onto the steering rack is a bit tricky because it's still connected to the wheel at the other end. This restricts freedom for that delicate first thread and it's complicated by the need to apply just enough pressure for the thread to take vs making the universal joint collapse at the critical moment. After a few goes I managed this using a long screwdriver on the wheel hub to apply the right pressure, or just find a second pair of hands to help.

I've attached a few photos, including one of the lock washer part number if you choose to replace it.

BTW car steers beautifully after this mod... no knocking yay!

Les ... you need to update your first post in this thread to mention this new technique .... and no need to wheel align.

Thanks Chris for the write-up and pics after all this time i cant believe it didn't occur to me that the installation of the knock bush could be installed without the need to remove the tie-rod end.

This has meant that not only the time required to install the knock bush is less than an hour, no special tools are required to remove the tie-rod end and there's no need for re-alignment.

Your a champ Chris.

Cheers,

Les

I guess im an idiot paying the rack rebuild guy $1200 to fix my rack ...... I wish I would have put a nice dress on and did my makeup and hair cause I like to look good when i get FU$^KED

I guess im an idiot paying the rack rebuild guy $1200 to fix my rack ...... I wish I would have put a nice dress on and did my makeup and hair cause I like to look good when i get FU$^KED

You are not alone i learnt the hard way yrs ago as well i bought a new rack to fix the knock i kept the old one to find out why it was knocking because of this i was able to develop the knock bush.

From my experience the manual rack is rock solid no rebuilds are required other than the fitment of the knock bush to remedy that annoying low speed rack knock.

this is almost for sure a dumb question, but i have a 95 nsx-t manual - is this compatible with my car? trying to figure out if i should get this as part of my preventative maintenance part collection lol

Very happy with this fix. 84k miles on the car, knock started developing last couple hundred miles, could hear it going over bumps.
Now it's quiet and steering is tight.

Here is the before and after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A8YNr_0Veg&lc=z12vdhbjdserjzn5t04cifghjrffhjmov3c

Great happy to see it worked for you never thought of doing a before and after video. What we have found is once the knock starts to be noticed it gets worse very quickly.

Enjoy many knock free miles:triumphant:

this is almost for sure a dumb question, but i have a 95 nsx-t manual - is this compatible with my car? trying to figure out if i should get this as part of my preventative maintenance part collection lol

Remember there are no dumb questions only dumb answers.:smile:

The knock bush fits all manual racks regardless of year. Many buyers have fitted the knock bush as a preventive measure and with the new install procedure (see post #190 ) its a simple and straight forward process.

PM Sent!

I have started to notice this knocking sound and after putting my car on jacks today, I was able to feel the play in the passenger tie rod where it meets the steering rack.

PM Sent!

I have started to notice this knocking sound and after putting my car on jacks today, I was able to feel the play in the passenger tie rod where it meets the steering rack.

Got it bush sent,

Thanks

Back