• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stereo Amp Capacitor Replacement Sept. 1

OK people, here's the deal. I am going to be at the HugaBuga window fix event in Orange County on Sept. 1st and I'm going to be there early. I have volunteered to replace the capacitors in your amps if you would like that done while your door cards are off for the window fix.

First, please read the following.

I wanted you all to understand what I am willing to do. I will replace all of the capacitors that are known to be unreliable, in your amps. There is no guarantee either expressed or implied (how do you like that for legalese?) that your amps will be working perfectly after I am done. The bad capacitors may have caused circuit board damage and/or there may be some other problem component. I do not have the resources (schematics, parts lists, or test facility for example) to repair ALL problems that may exist. It is highly likely however, that the replacement of the capacitors will fix your problem, but as I said, there is no guarantee.
I am willing to spend in the neighborhood of 2 or 3 hours of my time on each NSX and am only charging for the parts and materials. I'm just trying to do a favor for my NSX friends but I don't want anyone disappointed if for some reason, it doesn't work out.
I hope you are all OK with that.

I also discovered something that may interest you regarding the amps. Bose will sell you brand new ones for $140 each. These are the same units but upgraded to the latest design. That includes the whole assembly with the speaker and black case. They are ready to bolt in. So that's $420 for a complete set or $140 each if some of yours are working. If you are interested, call Patty at (508) 766-9522. She can tell you the details and if you decide to, you can order them from her.

Update: Aug. 07 - I ordered a complete set of amps for my car and received them on Friday the 7th. They are brand new and were manufactured in 2007 and 2008.

What I need is that all of you who are interested in the capacitor replacement, send me a message to that effect. Let me know how many amps you need worked on (each NSX has a total of 3 amps, one is under the passenger footwell). That will enable me to order the appropriate number of parts. I do not do this for a living so I do not want to order more parts than I need.
As far as the logistics are concerned, I will be doing the work at my home which is very near South Coast Acura. We will have to ferry the amps to me at my home. It would be great if I had a vehicle to test the amps in at my home but that is not required. In any case, depending on how many amps I have to do, it may take me all day and then some. If so, you may have to wait till the day after to pick up your amps. I won't really know until I see how many people want the service and when they show up.

That's about all I can tell you. I'll expect to hear from those of you that want this service.

SeaSharp
Craig

OK people, here's the deal. I am going to be at the HugaBuga window fix event in Orange County on Sept. 1st and I'm going to be there early. I have volunteered to replace the capacitors in your amps if you would like that done while your door cards are off for the window fix.

First, please read the following.

I wanted you all to understand what I am willing to do. I will replace all of the capacitors that are known to be unreliable, in your amps. There is no guarantee either expressed or implied (how do you like that for legalese?) that your amps will be working perfectly after I am done. The bad capacitors may have caused circuit board damage and/or there may be some other problem component. I do not have the resources (schematics, parts lists, or test facility for example) to repair ALL problems that may exist. It is highly likely however, that the replacement of the capacitors will fix your problem, but as I said, there is no guarantee.
I am willing to spend in the neighborhood of 2 or 3 hours of my time on each NSX and am only charging for the parts and materials. I'm just trying to do a favor for my NSX friends but I don't want anyone disappointed if for some reason, it doesn't work out.
I hope you are all OK with that.

I also discovered something that may interest you regarding the amps. Bose will sell you brand new ones for $140 each. These are the same units but upgraded to the latest design. That includes the whole assembly with the speaker and black case. They are ready to bolt in. So that's $420 for a complete set or $140 each if some of yours are working. If you are interested, call Patty at (508) 766-9522. She can tell you the details and if you decide to, you can order them from her.

Update: Aug. 07 - I ordered a complete set of amps for my car and received them on Friday the 7th. They are brand new and were manufactured in 2007 and 2008.

What I need is that all of you who are interested in the capacitor replacement, send me a message to that effect. Let me know how many amps you need worked on (each NSX has a total of 3 amps, one is under the passenger footwell). That will enable me to order the appropriate number of parts. I do not do this for a living so I do not want to order more parts than I need.
As far as the logistics are concerned, I will be doing the work at my home which is very near South Coast Acura. We will have to ferry the amps to me at my home. It would be great if I had a vehicle to test the amps in at my home but that is not required. In any case, depending on how many amps I have to do, it may take me all day and then some. If so, you may have to wait till the day after to pick up your amps. I won't really know until I see how many people want the service and when they show up.

That's about all I can tell you. I'll expect to hear from those of you that want this service.

SeaSharp
Craig
I paid $49.00 in 2008 for a footwell amp (amp only) from BOSE. I just phoned them up and they shipped them right away. They are in Framingham, Massachusetts.. this before I knew of Briank. Not sure if they use the same capacitor specs as in 1991 or not.

Hi Craig,

I have a oem head unit that I recently sold unfortunately the capacitors has leaked so i will be getting them back. Would you be able to check it out and replace them? I found a post here in prime that a number of folks were able to replace the capacitors and the headunit worked perfectly fine.

Please let me know Craig.

thanks

Henry

Hi Craig,
I think I may have a few bad speaker amps and would be interested in the repairs, please pm me the details and i will try and get the day off. Thank you!

-Philip

Back