• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stereo Project is DONE!

After 1 unsuccessful attempt, here is my new system. I had it installed Friday by JR at Audio Evolution here in Temecula ( http://www.audioevolution.com ) and I'm 100% happy with the look and especially the sound.

There has been a lot of discussion about the sub I have by John Sylora. All I can say is it kicks butt! Properly tuning a system is a huge part in what makes a system sound good. I can honestly say that my NSX has some of the best sound I have ever heard in any car. The volume will deafen you... if that is your thing.... but the overall balance and sound quality is incredible. When playing the iPod, it is crystal clear. I put in Transformers (as seen in the pictures) and it I was amazed at the sound. The bass rumbled and it almost sounded like I have full surround sound.

Here is the list of items.

NAV POD AND SCREEN
JDM Nav Pod
Alpine 7" VGA Touch Screen Monitor - TMEM740B

HEAD UNIT
Alpine DVA-9861 DVD AUDIO / VIDEO RECEIVER
Alpine Full Speed iPod Cable

NAVIGATION
Alpine PMD-B100 Blackbird GPS
Alpine PMD-DOK1 vehicle dock & video interface for Blackbird

AMP
Alpine PDX-4.150
4/3/2 Channel Power Density Digital Amplifier

SPEAKERS
Doors: 6.5" Focal 165 K3P
Rear: I retained the stock center speaker. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
Sub: Shallow sub from Prim Member John Sylora
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86494&highlight=John+Sylora

CENTER CONSOLE
I built a cut out for my phone/wallet/glasses.

Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• DSC_0158.jpg
    DSC_0158.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC_0161.jpg
    DSC_0161.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC_0164.jpg
    DSC_0164.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC_0173.jpg
    DSC_0173.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 363
Looking good.

Did you buy any components from them or did they just do the install?

I plan on getting the same speakers and amp, but going with Kenwood double din.

Very nice setup Todd. Similar to mine which is currently an Alpine DVA-7996 head unit (being replaced with a DVA-9965 in a few days), Honda Nav Pod with an Alpine TME-M770 screen, JL Audio XR-650CXi speakers in the doors, a ZToolman V3 sub box with an Earthquake SWS-10 sub and a JL 300/4 amp in the trunk along with the Alpine 634 CD changer.

I noticed that JL has entered the shallow sub woofer arena with their TW5 series. So far only a 13" model is offered.

Enjoy your new sound system and be sure to run A Matter Of Life And Death from Iron Maiden through it! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Looking good.

Did you buy any components from them or did they just do the install?

I plan on getting the same speakers and amp, but going with Kenwood double din.

They did the install. I bought everything off of ebay. They charged me for 8 hours of labor at $65/hr. JR said he worked on it for more than that. He did some finishing work on the console and painted it, remove the old stereo and installed all the new components.

JR is a hugh Honda fan.... treated my NSX like it was his own .... well ... except for the part about driving it like he stole it!!! :biggrin:

Nice components. The cut out for glasses looks a little rough. Have you thought about sat radio since you have a nice aux input?

Happy to hear you like your new system. Good choice with the door speakers. I run a comp focal set also. Although I replaced the factory speaker between the seats with a 3" Focal coax. It took some work but the sound is amazing.
165cv1.jpg

These in dash screen setups continue to impress me. I really wish it were stock :p. I will definitely have to do this at some point, maybe even with the graphite console.

These in dash screen setups continue to impress me. I really wish it were stock :p. I will definitely have to do this at some point, maybe even with the graphite console.

It's pretty damn close to "stock" since the Nav Pod is a Honda part. It sure looks factory when installed.

Looks great. How did you get the monitor to stay in the pod. Hope to do this soon.

Nice components. The cut out for glasses looks a little rough. Have you thought about sat radio since you have a nice aux input?

There is 1 spot that needs be touched up, otherwise it is pretty smooth.

There is a piece of fabric in the back of it to keep things from banging around. It that the "rough" part you are talking about.

I have 300 watts to the sub and there is no distortion. I went by the installers yesterday and he was telling me that he is really impressed with the sub. He then said he has it tuned for rock, so if I was to play rap (or anything with a huge amount of bass, it would really work the sub.... but .... if he tuned it for rap there would be no issues.

So... what did I do.... turned to Country Grammar from Nelly and turned it up. Unless I wanted to go deaf, there was no distortion. The bass is really tight.

There has been so many negative comments concerning the sub I have and even more assumptions about its poor performance. I will step up here and put my system (and sub) up against anyone else's system. I'm telling you guys... this sub sounds awesome AND mounts to the original factory brackets.

We need to applaud John for making a sub for the NSX that keeps the stock size and mounting points with outstanding performance.

Remember.... tuning a system is the most important part. If you or your installer doesn't know what they are doing, even the best of equipment will sound like crap!

I spoke to John a couple weeks ago and he said he was heading to the Philippines for a business trip. He should be back soon. I have his cell number and will try him tomorrow.

Back