• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stereo won't turn off

Yesterday when I was driving my '93 NSX the stereo suddenly turned on. The speaker amps blew out years ago, and I don't drive enough to need music, so I never turn it on. It seems to be on the cassette function, and it sounds like the motor is spinning. The main issue is that it never stops, even when the car is turned off. I pulled the radio and amplifier fuses, but no change. I don't even own a cassette tape, so I can't try to insert and eject. None of the stereo buttons work. Any idea on how to disable it without pulling the dash apart?

I don't see any way out of this except to remove the radio and physically unplug it.

Your radio has likely gotten a terminal case of Alzheimers.

Since it appears to be stuck on the cassette function, I suspect that the head unit is stuck in a cassette eject function. I have never used the cassette on my car; but, a lot of cassette players had a cassette auto eject function that would automatically eject the cassette on power down / power up. The function used a microswitch in the drive to detect the presence of the cassette. Your microswitch has likely failed closed.

The radio has 2 - 12 v supplies, A4 and A5 in the attached pin out. Power for keep alive (A4) is not on a dedicated fuse so fuse removal is not really an option unless you are willing to live without the shared functions on that shared fuse. The fix is as Drew recommends to disconnect the plug from the back of the head unit which does require removal of the head unit. That does not require pulling the dash apart; but, does require disassembly of the center console. Its that or find somebody who has a cassette tape in their basement and see if repeated insertion and ejection can eliminate the faulty switch operation. Some silicon spray might help, or just make a bigger mess

Attachments

• Stereo pin out.jpg
    Stereo pin out.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back