• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stock cats are...hollow?

I bought a set of 91-94 stock cats and I noticed that they are hollow inside. Is that right? I was expecting some form of honeycomb structure inside. How is this different than a straight pipe?

IMG_1731.JPG

Inside view
IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

I think you got took. Someone broke up and/or removed the mesh grid that should be in there.

No, there should be a white ceramic honeycomb inside the cat. Some people remove the core to have it function like a "stealth" test pipe. Did the seller tell you it was hollowed out? The core contains precious metals like platinum, so many people either steal or sell these parts to scrap metal shops for cash. I hope you didn't get ripped off, that sucks. :frown:

The cats are useless. Sorry.
There's someone in the wanted parts forum who search 'dead cats'.

your car is a '91 right? honestly i would put them on and not even worry about it. unless you are trying to go green. as long as it looks like you have cats on a 95 or older car they dont even check. thats the way it is where i live neways:cool:

Yea man sounds like you got had... those have been hollowed out :frown:

that is awesome. will look much better under the car than my straight shinny pipes that you can clearly see if you look under the car.

Actually hollowed out cats is bad. It creates an open space and robs performance. If you wanted you can weld in some pipe if you want to keep the stealth look, but I'd say scratch that crap and do a real test pipe.

Back