• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stock or "stockish" mirror options if the windshield button has been changed?

Stock or "stockish" mirror options if the windshield button has been changed?

The previous owner changed the mirror to a Gentex K60 (auto-dim,compass, temp, Homelink, map lights) but I don't like auto-dim, and I find it too large. The outdoor temp is all I'd want and this is too much for that.
My paperwork shows a Prime group buy in early 2005 so maybe some prime folks remember the details.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...oup-buy?highlight=gentex+rear+view+mirror+buy
I removed the mirror and noted that the "button" for attaching it to the windshield now looks different from what is shown in my service manual, p 20-46.
It seems different prime members took several different approaches to mounting the Gentex mirrors, including grinding down the Gentex components to fit in the stock mirror housing, bodging the Gentex stalk to the NSX mounting clip, installing a new generic button, or converting the button to something else? which is what the owner of my NSX seems to have done?

f-95j0_K6nZekmmhJhpH-b9eEePsNO1QybsQwOdaEsQGgAo88qXs2hDe1oZcSCyZQ0auFk5yW8zn4uh4XJMAFGkvM9EGs5A5RE1YGKpehfP_yTwOv-Szxt2V7aijRJ2Z1Pc5aF2VcTzYkwMsw9S-gvz6SgleklB4ufH7gSbwkKGl2K7X0k7AqsDVfqHltl217bTTUMjgorQ6mD3-rPWtaXLV-1i_K08gdGQZGvViOEH_o4FHTmhhE4NMs9CxfYr8USn5ky4xZeeJxafCIh8umI7NCgxn0nTUAFvnBEJ0B7s7-Fz_LUZ1Kq-0sy5KSDakk4RmrsSlMKRizKoio2eia-iIu6C3CxgDExDTP09Pf4uw34Oq_JZLCBP5RCNWZ5yh4LFOS__HGeECURR4iiYf4a_e80KgSRezEh8y6_RirtcZBDnGpRigXP1GJI6N3T36odfzvKRNlCkxj7TWgFuiMlcNQjsEDWPaYE-YEJRxS_piyLLoaP0kPJzlRj0HNApkmJYQn3MX25hpUxfLdMhNhXps4JhfUJtgV-jyd_Q1NvWueDa8WotH9_nAYdBa31-oJbTuwzWAl_pT_pk3HZo_X12-YU3zz60IVo_AsbjOe2zEFkpBiZfiSRRZH-xruGfRJPxRBtig2VIxEzOuXACfer162_pRpbIrIP8il6KS49nMNyVUkjjg71p0xu5Y7-GThC3jAXWbujWGjFwpOL8LXx8O=w592-h788-no

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qJ9edP1ZPBxihYy18
The light grey is a film on the windshield, presumably for mounting.
The mount now seems to be 2 parts. I can't find any screws to disassemble/uninstall it. You can see in the picture what looks like a screw, but there is no indent to put a driver:
  1. There is a black metal squarish button. It's about 1+5/8" wide, 1+1/4" high, and 0.3" thick. It seems to be (same size and shape with a little nib at the top) the original NSX button, but missing 3 protruding tiny nibs (one at the top and one on each side). Could they have been ground down? At the bottom, where the mirror mount tab would slide into, is a the expected slot, seemingly filled in with silicone or hot glue. I tried applying my hot glue gun to melt it & it doesn't seem like hot glue, so I suspect silicone.
  2. A trapezoidal metal mount point is attached to this button? It measures 1.1" high with widths of ~1.1" at the bottom and ~1" at the top with a bit of rounding, ~0.17" thick. It seems like a generic mirror mount, but my internet search didn't turn up a nice glossary of names/descriptions for standard mirror mounts/buttons.

So it seems like I have some sort of adapter, siliconed into the original button. Options?
  1. Anyone know how to disassemble this so I can mount an OEM mirror? Will the mirror still be tight without the 3 nibs on the stock button?
  2. Anyone know of a way to mount the stock mirror to this? Another "convertor" of sorts that won't look obvious?
  3. Suggestions for mirror that mounts to this that looks fairly stock?
  4. Button replacement? I am loath to try to have this removed after all this time for fear of breaking the windshield, and I haven't had any luck finding the part number for the stock button if I could.
  5. Forget the mirror and press my backup camera button for a minute or 2 of rear visibility when I want to see backwards? Side Rant: Why is it too distracting to have a screen displaying what's behind you all the time but OK to have a mirror there, which should be even more distracting since it is in 3D? And the mirror can't see through your cargo in the back or the trailer you're towing.
  6. Any other brilliant ideas?

Suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
Any idea how I could find the part number for the OE button that was originally glued to the windshield and is now clogged with silicone and a homemade adapter?

As I noted originally, my local Acura dealer can't seem to find it as a part for me to buy and then bring to the autoglass folks. I looked at the mirror, part # 76400-SL0-003ZA, and that doesn't seem to include the windshield button either. As I said, I'm not wading in if I can't source the button, which appears not to be a standard button as near as I can tell.

Last edited:
The button come glued onto the windshield, so I don't believe that it is an item that is sold separately. The Dealers will not be to helpful with this request.
As I mentioned before, Apple Auto Glass was able to change the button on my Civic, inorder to install on of the Electronic mirror with compass etc.

Bram

Yes, they can change OE to a "standard" trapezoidal one that works with the Gentex, but I can't mount an OE mirror onto that. My OE button has been "converted" to one of these trapezoidal ones, which does work with the Gentex mirror.

I'm trying to get back to stock.

Last edited:
I looked in the parts diagrams and @Bram is correct it only comes already attached to the windshield.

I wonder if the NSX shared a mirror mount with any other more common Honda vehicles that might have an aftermarket replacement button available.

I'm having my windshield replaced in 2 weeks, if the replacement windshield has the mount on it already I'll see if the glass shop will let me have the one from the old windshield and I can send it to you if you haven't worked out a solution by then. I think the new glass is aftermarket so who knows if it will actually have it or not.

Edit: Honda seems to have used similar mirror mounts on a variety of cars including 90s Legend, Vigor, RL, Odyssey, Del Sol, Prelude, and Insight.

Last edited:
I looked in the parts diagrams and @Bram is correct it only comes already attached to the windshield.

I'm having my windshield replaced in 2 weeks, if the replacement windshield has the mount on it already I'll see if the glass shop will let me have the one from the old windshield and I can send it to you if you haven't worked out a solution by then. I think the new glass is aftermarket so who knows if it will actually have it or not.

Edit: Honda seems to have used similar mirror mounts on a variety of cars including 90s Legend, Vigor, RL, Odyssey, Del Sol, Prelude, and Insight.
Thanks very much for the offer of your old one. Failing that, I guess this summer if I wind up going by any scrap yards, I'll have a poke around & see if I see any 90's Hondas. I'll have to start carrying more tools & a propane torch too...

Bump:
Still looking for a stock "button" that attaches to the windshield so you can attach the stock mirror to it. My local windshield shops have no idea where to get one from.

If anyone is at a scrapper and sees one on a 90s Legend, Vigor, RL, Odyssey, Del Sol, Prelude, or Insight...

Last edited:
Final update - Thanks 1of80 for the replacement button & mirror!

The local windshield guy was afraid to try removing the gooped up button for fear of breaking the windshield, but he noted that the NA mount was glued to the NSX mount using urethane, not silicone or epoxy as I'd considered. He was able to cut off some of the urethane, expose the NSX button more, and separate the NA mount from the NSX mount. He suggested I have a go at scraping the urethane out of the slot of the original NSX mount and try using it.

After several hours with an exacto knife, several slot screwdrivers, and needle-nose pliers, I got enough of the urethane out to get the circular clip in and mount the NSX mirror! :triumphant:
card_preview_PXL_20210917_201658948-min.jpg

Unfortunately, the previous owner also ground down the 3 mounting dots, :mad: so it's not as secure as it could be, but it's pretty solid. If this mount ever falls off, I have a new one to put on.

But over all, a huge improvement - very little vibration and I can use my visors again. I do notice that, while the width seems fine, the height seems a lot more than it needs to be - I see black above and below the view rearward. I wonder if the NSX mirror in general is sized for the larger visibility of the coupe since it doesn't have the roof cover sitting in the rear window well. Or maybe a wider angle is needed for shorter people who are closer to the mirror? I wonder if anyone makes a thinner (same width, but not as tall) mirror.

The only other thing I'm considering is trimming down the night-visibility switch, which seems prominent. I'd put up with a slightly fiddly switch (that I use very rarely) for improved forward visibility. Probably a winter project after I see if I get used to it.

Many thanks to Prime for all the help, Tim

Last edited:
Back