• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Straight Pipes

Just wondering is anyone running straight pipes on there NSX are there any advantages or disadvantages. I thought I saw a post sometime ago that someone had a check engine light come on after doing this for some reason. I only have the RM Cat back and was going to get the RM Headers with CT straight pipes.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

This has been discussed before, try doing a search.

I have learned that the straight pipes do very little peformance wise(for the $$), other than reduce weight. I think you'll also get maybe a 1-2 db in sound. However, if you're going the route of a free flow exhaust I'd definitely get one
smile.gif

It's on my list of things to get as well.

btw...you might want to check out www.scienceofspeed.com for the straight pipes. I believe they're cheaper than the CT pipes, and Chris "might" have one in stock.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

Originally posted by Steven Spanbauer:
is anyone running straight pipes on there NSX are there any advantages or disadvantages

are you talking bypassing the catalytic convertors ("cat bypass pipes"), or the entire exhaust/silencer altogether ("straight pipes" from the header back)?

Both are illegal... the latter are extremely loud, and doing the former can make your car stink.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by nsxtasy:
It's really bad for the environment. Don't do it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by SouthFlaNSX:
LOL

I'm not so sure he was joking...
jpshakehead.gif

I wasn't. It is bad for the environment - which is why it makes your car stink (as cojones so eloquently put it).

Yes I was thinking of taking the cats off but maybe I will think twice about it I was just looking for a few extra hp.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Originally posted by Steven Spanbauer:
Yes I was thinking of taking the cats off but maybe I will think twice about it I was just looking for a few extra hp.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

If it is exclusively a track car then taking them off is fine. But a daily driver?

The few extra HP isn't worth it and if you were to get caught (as unlikely as it may seem) it is a spendy ticket.
eek.gif

You could use that money towards something else that would give your car the increase you are looking for (and it would be legal).

Just my .02

[This message has been edited by Exotica (edited 08 November 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Exotica (edited 08 November 2001).]

I am running straight pipes on my car currently, other than the turbos, nothing to quiet it down. It has a very aggressive sound.....some would argue even too aggressive ;-) I believe you are referring to cat bypass pipes, which the general consensus seems it increases the HP marginally and increases dB output slightly as well. I can tell you that the turbos spool up slightly quicker on my car with the bypass pipes on instead of the cats, but I can not appreciate any discernable change in exhaust note. If you have the patience, wait until the next NSXPO or a regional event--you will likely find someone with and without cats running the same exhaust.

------------------

It has a very aggressive sound.....some would argue even too aggressive ;-)

That's a bit of an understatement. This is the car that some at NSXPO 2001 claimed was louder than Peter Cunningham's race car.
smile.gif

Originally posted by cojones:
are you talking bypassing the catalytic convertors ("cat bypass pipes"), or the entire exhaust/silencer altogether ("straight pipes" from the header back)?

One of my pet tiny peeves. Anyone who pre-dates unleaded gas or hangs around racers would surely mean an exhaust without any form of muffler. These days it seems to mean not cats.

Anyway, I tend to agree that it is environmentally irresponsible to remove the cats, but I hesitate to make much of it because that's a very slippery slope which could easily be taken to the point where cars like the NSX are banned altogether. Look what they're doing in parts of the country, even banning gas powered edge trimmers. (Yes, very "dirty" 2-strokers. The EPA is even getting pollution control laws for things like chainsaws.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 08 November 2001).]

I tend to agree that it is environmentally irresponsible to remove the cats, but I hesitate to make much of it because that's a very slippery slope which could easily be taken to the point where cars like the NSX are banned altogether.

Good point. I don't advocate going any further down that slope. In fact, Honda appears to be working as hard as anyone out there to come up with cars that perform and are good for the environment. Which is a good thing for all of us, IMO.

Back