• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Strange bad sounding noise... that went away... on it's own!!

Ok here's a quick rundown of the history of my car before this noise... 96 model AUTOMATIC that I finished working on last week. I did a total brake rebuild (all four calipers, brand new rubber seals everywhere) and put them back together with brand new Project Mu NS pads and slotted rotors with(powerslot blanks). Motul 600 brake fluid after completeing a total flush. I also installed Thom Ayotte's camber kit as my car is lowered on Bilstein's. Finally, I repacked the upper ball joints on both rear upper control arms prior to installation and put on new boots, and put new tie rod ends on the front suspension along with polyurethane steering bushings. The right rear CV joint was repacked about 8000 miles ago when I had to have a new CV boot installed. Finally, I put on brand new Advan T7's (17/18) with new Contisportcontact 3's and took it in for an alignment. The shop was able to get everything where I wanted it except front camber, which they said was due to the lowering.

SO.... the noise. Well I bedded the brakes in the other day prior to the alignment, and had driven the car about 100 miles as a shakedown prior to today. This afternoon, after resolving one last suspension issue (front lug nuts weren't properly torqued, but I only went around the block once like that) I went for a good spirited mountain drive. I went about 85 miles of really good hilly and curvy roads when I crested a hill/turn and heard a HORRIBLE NOISE. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger rear wheel, and I immediately pulled over to have a look. Everything looked normal so I got back in and drove a few feet and stopped again.

The NOISE sounded like disk brakes that have worn all the way down until metal was grating on metal. The sound did NOT change at all with the application of the brakes, no matter how hard (except it obviously slowed down.) The emergency brake alone also did not change the sound. It was an undulating noise (going up and down) kinda like a warped rotor makes. HOWEVER it was NOT in sync with the tire. Walking alongside the car it seemed to make about 4 waves per turn of the rear wheel. The noise was also present allowing the car to roll in neutral with the engine both on and off.

Well since I was in the middle of NOWHERE and had not seen another car for miles, I opted to limp it back the way I came until I found a house or got cell service. Well I went about 1/2 a mile and the noise started to decrease in intensity. It initially was a constant undulating noise, and at the 1/2 mile point it had become just the "squeak squeak squeak" of the 'high point'. By the end of a mile it suddenly just disappeared. I stopped and looked again and everything still looked fine.

I drove the car back home (about 25 miles) and once local I did several very hard stops to get the brakes really hot to reproduce the sound and got nothing. Since I KNOW metal grinding sounds don't just magically disappear, I'm REALLY worried about it.

Any ideas? Everything looks fine here at home...

Close!! I FINALLY located the source of the problem. The inner passenger CV joint apparently has a 'heat shield' or something around it. Well, it appears a rock lodged in it... I noticed on thin shine band of metal on it, and it went through the four triangle shaped grooves that are cut into the joint, which explains the 'four to one' tink sound I heard... I must admit that it sounded like an expensive noise but turned out to be nothing!

Back