• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

strange front brake clearance issue

So today I tried to install some 02+ wheels on my 99 NSX-T and ran into a problem.

The front wheel once bolted on won't turn. Apparently the spokes are touching the caliper.

I was under the impression that NA2 brakes should clear the 02+ wheels. Now I'm thinking it's that possible the previous owner downgraded the front brakes to NA1. How can I tell?

I measured the rotor (not very precisely) and it came out to ~ 10". According to the wiki, NA1 diameter is 282mm or 11.1" while NA2 is 298mm or 11.7". How can I have a 10" rotor in the front? Am I reading wrong information? Any ideas?

In any event, if I install 5mm spacers in the front to clear the wheel spokes will I need longer studs or will it be ok? I currently have stock studs installed.

here's a pic of my front rotor. Ignore the 15mm spacer and longer studs. I've since reverted back to stock studs with no spacers.
View attachment 155763

It appears you have the early brackets. However, my OEM seven blade wheels fit both on NA1 and NA2 brakes + brackets + rotors without issue.

I'm wondering if your rotor has a different offset than OEM and the caliper bracket has been shimmed to compensate?

Can you take some more pics of what you are working with; preferably with a ruler...

It's really hard to tell from the picture but the caliper appears further outward than normal. Is it possible to take a straight on shot from the top? The wheels should fit fine without a spacer.

Looking more closely it appears your rotors and (pads)? are not correct for your year. The rotor should have a 282mm diameter or 11.1 inches. I'd suggest ordering new rotors and pads and get rid of the spacer.

It appears you have the early brackets. However, my OEM seven blade wheels fit both on NA1 and NA2 brakes + brackets + rotors without issue.

I'm wondering if your rotor has a different offset than OEM and the caliper bracket has been shimmed to compensate?

Can you take some more pics of what you are working with; preferably with a ruler...

It's really hard to tell from the picture but the caliper appears further outward than normal. Is it possible to take a straight on shot from the top? The wheels should fit fine without a spacer.

I'll snap some more pics and take some measurements when I get a chance.

I confirmed with a previous of owner that the 02+ wheels don't fit w/o spacer on the current setup. It was done before his time. I suspect that at some point, there was a BBK installed and then prior to selling, it was removed and replaced with a NA1 setup. This also explains why I have an orange spare that fits when NA2s are supposed to come with a yellow spare.

weird ,most of the kits that used slightly larger front rotors and re-positioned the oem calipers still fit under the oem 17 wheels...a popular brand was racing brake.

I'll snap some more pics and take some measurements when I get a chance.

I confirmed with a previous of owner that the 02+ wheels don't fit w/o spacer on the current setup. It was done before his time. I suspect that at some point, there was a BBK installed and then prior to selling, it was removed and replaced with a NA1 setup. This also explains why I have an orange spare that fits when NA2s are supposed to come with a yellow spare.

Hmmm..I wasn't aware of a 10 inch OEM rotor on the NA1. However mine is a 1992 and I just measured the diameter which is 11.1 inches give or take. If your rotors diameter is 10 inches than thats very interesting. Is it possible that the prior owner used the caliper bracket for the BBK and reinstalled the OEM caliper therefore being forced to go with a smaller rotor to make it all work? Thats my guess....

Rotors were upgraded in 1997 (larger diameter and thicker). Even so, the 2002+ wheel fits pre-1997 rotors without spacers. Spacers are needed if you fit a BBK (such as StopTech), but otherwise no spacer needed. I wonder if you have a rotor from another Acura or Honda vehicle (Legend, Accord) that has a hub with less depth than a proper NSX rotor. This is the only think I can think of that would account for the need of a spacer.

Rotors were upgraded in 1997 (larger diameter and thicker). Even so, the 2002+ wheel fits pre-1997 rotors without spacers. Spacers are needed if you fit a BBK (such as StopTech), but otherwise no spacer needed. I wonder if you have a rotor from another Acura or Honda vehicle (Legend, Accord) that has a hub with less depth than a proper NSX rotor. This is the only think I can think of that would account for the need of a spacer.

[MENTION=32537]mwagner10702[/MENTION] That would indeed make sense, but there is no way that a stock NA1 caliper would work with a 10 inch rotor.......

According to the Wiki: The 2002 wheel spokes do not flare out enough closer to the center where the 1991 - 1996 caliper sits. If you upgrade a 1991 - 1996 car to have to '97+ front rotors (which moves the caliper further out), you can use 2002 wheels. You could also use a 5mm spacer to push the wheels out enough to clear the caliper.

I'm pretty sure I just measured the rotor diameter wrong and it's ~ 11.0" so in all likelyhood I have the NA1 rotor/caliper set up. From my research, it sounds like inorder to fit the larger NA2 front rotors, I would need a NA2 caliper bracket. Is there anything else?

I have an NA1 rotor. I can measure it tomorrow to confirm your findings.

> it sounds like inorder to fit the larger NA2 front rotors, I would need a NA2 caliper

The caliper housings are the same between NA1/NA2. (The bores are different, there apparently are a few of them and Honda liked to mix 'n match the bore sizes between special models)

The bracket is different and what allows the larger NA2 rotor to work. You appear to have NA1 brackets.

Some detailed pics of the rotor might be interesting.

It appears that your brake calipers are from 91-96. You can easily tell by the bracket. The 91-96 has a big curve in front of the caliper whereas the 97-05 is less curvy. Indeed you will need a small spacer to use 02+ wheels on 91-96 brake setup.

You just need to source NA2 brackets and rotors. They are not sold separately from Honda, but they do come up for sale on occasion.

You might be able to order up NA2 rebuilt calipers and they may come with brackets. There is a thread on this where I disputed this (ie rebuilt calipers with brackets) and was met with photos; so I have been corrected.

Back