• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Strip or sand paint on brake calipers?

I would like to change the color on a set of Brembos. I know the BEST way to paint the calipers is to get them powder coated but that would require a rebuild and don't want to go that route. I've seen guys sand and paint their Brembo calipers but not sure how well they held up or how even it is.

If I go the sanding route, I don't think I would be able to get into all the little crevices of the caliper. Thought about using a paint stripper but wanted to know if anyone had experience and suggestions on what to use and how to go about it.

BTW, I will be using G2 Caliper paint (black) using a spray gun.

TIA:biggrin:

Jeff

I've never had the need to do it on any of my own cars usually because I just replaced the calipers if I messed with them beyond brake pads [BBK], but I have helped other people do theirs.

As long as you make a decent surface and use high temp paint correctly, it'll last for a fairly long time. If you need to do touchups it's also not difficult, time consuming, or expensive. I'd say a proper job will last at least 2 years under normal driving conditions.

You can use a brush to get in the tighter spots.

Thanks for the reply. I have experience w/ powdercoating, brushing, and spraying brake calipers. However, I've never sprayed a previously painted (especially thick Brembo paint) surface. I want it to stick well so thought stripping their paint completely would be most ideal. Any recommendations? Need industrial strength paint stripper?

Jeff

Back