• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stroker Club

Per Bryan at SoS the 3.8L crank is no longer available.

I'm stroking as I type.....can i join?

sign me up. 3.5L NA. toda 93.5 x 84. Jon Martin assembled the short block.

I want to hear about this build so some more info and thoughts after driving it some

Why does this thread make me think of this...

The most obvious answer is b/c you like sweady balls and have jacked it twice reading this thread. Duh. ;) And you were already in "The Club."

1. Ponyboy: 3.6L NA
2. serialNSXer: 3.8L NA
3. kip: 3.5L FI
4. igor 3.5L FI
5. Spooler: 3.3L NA
6. Jon Martin: 3.8L NA
7. X-Toy: 3.8L NA
8. bchang99: 3.8L NA
9. Frank C: 3.8L NA
10. Brandonson: 3.5L FI
11. JeffShoots: 3.5L NA/FI
12. SMLYDOC: 3.8L NA
13. NSXDreamer2 - 3.3L NA
14. Juice: 3.5L FI
15.shooze: 3.8L NA
16. Jorligan: 3.5L FI
17. Hugh: 3.5L FI
18. saint2709: 3.8L NA
19. ken sampson: 3.5L FI
20. synergy004: 3.8 NA
21. redtide: 3.5L NA

Last edited:
Been working on this for a loooong time and just finished recently. Was able to take it out the past few days (its a long weekend here in the Philippines) and so far it runs really well. Engine temperature has been holding up right below the mid-way point even under standstill traffic. Not really going past 4k RPM as I'm still breaking in the engine. so far only have a couple hundred KM logged. Gutted the VVIS and butterflies, installed RDX injectors from prospeed, got a SOS big bore throttle and I'm currently using an AEM EMS 2 to sort everything out.

The block was bored and stroked to 3.5L by using toda 's c35b piston kit (93.5mm) and crank (84mm which i had knife-edged as well) as well as their connecting rods, valve guides (intake and exhaust) and camshafts. The valves (iconel), billet oil pump, comp tech cam pulleys, darton sleeves, head gaskets and lost motion assembly kit are from SOS and i used ARP head and main studs. Bought a spare engine a couple years back and sent the block to jon martin (back when he was with acura cerritos). He also worked on setting and gapping the crank and con rod bearings and set the oil clearance as well as balanced everything.

The head was assembled here. had the valve guides polished, reamed and triangulated as well. Carried the block home in a box as my checked-in luggage from LA when it was ready and had everything assembled.

Still trying to bed and get used to the new clutch i installed (exedy hyper single pack with lightweight flywheel) so I'm letting it drag a little. hoping to break this in soon so i can change the oil and take it in for a proper tune and dyno run. i definitely feel a difference in the low end torque difference compared to the old setup (3.0L) and the throttle response is very noticeable. in the meantime i'm just keeping the revs to a minimum and enjoying being able to take it out after being worked on for a couple of years. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure that block was still lighter than some of the balikbayan boxes on that flight.

BTW... Are you still selling stuff? I tried to contact you when I was in Manila but we missed each other.

Lol yea. The box was mostly filled with towels and clothes to cushion the block.

I have a lot of leftover stuff from my build. Just depends what you're looking for. I've disposed quite a few of them already. Others are too big to sell/ship out that it won't make sense unless you're willing to use your check in luggage allocation too. Lol.

planning a trip here anytime soon? I'll pm you my personal phone number and email next time around so you can get a hold of me.

1. Ponyboy: 3.6L NA
4. igor 3.5L FI
22. RYU: 3.6L NA ITBs

Revised list. I wonder how many on the list have ITBs as well?

1. Ponyboy: 3.6L NA ITBs :)
4. igor 3.5L FI
22. RYU: 3.6L NA ITBs

For the filks that have the 3.8L NA stroker , can you advise of who did the work and where to buy the the kit/parts from?

I believe the 3.8 was originally designed and installed by Jon Martin at Cerritos Acura. Jon may be retired at this point, however. You can buy the stroker crank kit from SOS, Toda and Brian Crower. Using 95mm pistons, this will get you to 3.7 or 3.8 depending on the crank. Please be advised that you MUST use MLS head gaskets and ARP studs with any large bore piston setup because of the reduced material between the cylinders.

I think 3.5 was the sweet spot

I believe the 3.8 was originally designed and installed by Jon Martin at Cerritos Acura. Jon may be retired at this point, however. You can buy the stroker crank kit from SOS, Toda and Brian Crower. Using 95mm pistons, this will get you to 3.7 or 3.8 depending on the crank. Please be advised that you MUST use MLS head gaskets and ARP studs with any large bore piston setup because of the reduced material between the cylinders.

Agree. 3.8 is pushing it on the cylinder walls...awfully thin

So is it recommended NOT to go 3.8L then? Any reliability issues? Also can someone let me know the parts for the kit to buy from Brian Crower?

So is it recommended NOT to go 3.8L then? Any reliability issues? Also can someone let me know the parts for the kit to buy from Brian Crower?

I personally would not. 3.5 or 3.6 is the max I would be comfortable with. The issue is with pistons above 94 mm, the walls between the cylinders become quite thin. At sustained high RPM and under high heat conditions, the chance of warping that area goes up since the metal is so thin and cannot conduct heat quickly enough. This can cause blown head gaskets or total engine failure. Look at the JGTC GT500 engines- even those beasts capped out at 3.5L, likely due in part to the same reliability concerns, since the engines had to run reliably for hundreds of miles at 9,000+ RPM. The NSX engine block really is designed for 90 mm piston bores- even the factory 3.2 with 93 mm bores required Honda to get fancy with the FRM cylinders and MLS gaskets with smooth deck finishing to achieve the required reliability. Now at 3.5L, you're punching those bores out another mm to 94 mm. That's as far as I would go.

Using the Crower 84mm crank:

93 mm piston = 3.423 L
94 mm piston = 3.497 L
95 mm piston = 3.572 L

I would give Brian Crower a call to discuss your goals and usage- it's hard to recommend parts without knowing that. That said, for a street driven NSX, I would do the 84mm crank with 94 mm pistons at an 11.5:1 compression ratio. With good engine management (Haltech, Motec, etc.), you should be able to run on 91 pump gas without any issues and you'll be around 400 hp at the crank with cams and ITB. That's a LOT for the NSX, given its weight.

Back