• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Suggestions for good sushi in Orange County, CA?

Looking to expand my list of sushi resturants in O.C. and would appreciate any personal recomendations.

Here are the places I have tried so far with a short rating.....nothing really impresses me as much as Sasabune in Oahu, Hawaii, which is the quality and taste that I am looking for.

1. Taiko - Irvine (better)
2. Kitiyama - Newport Beach (better)
3. I love Sushi - Costa Mesa (decent)
4. San Kai - Costa Mesa (decent)

Thanks!

My favourite 2 and are owned by the same company:

Chomp - Downtown Fullerton. Crazy atmosphere. Women everywhere.
Riptide - Mission Viejo. Similar but toned down a bit. Women everywhere.

I'm always down to go to either one!!!

Kappo Honda in fountain valley is one of my favs.

cheap, but decent is kabuki at bella terre in huntington beach

How about Sushi of Laguna? We know the owner Jay. It is very well done. If you go to LA try Matsuhisa, Nobu's Flagship in America.

Rod

Best sushi I ever had in my life. Also known as the restaurant without soy sauce on the table. There is really good reason for that.

Watching the chef perform is really jaw dropping expericence. Every little detail is carefully performed, even the amount of sea salt, soy sauce used is carefully calculated to perfection. Don't be too surprised if you see most of everyone there including customers are Japanese.

It is pricey compare to other places, but you get what you pay for here. Only the best. If I were to use cars for comparision, all Sushi restaurants I have tried in OC are Mustangs, maybe Corvette at best, the Ikko by comparison is equivalent to Mclaren F1.

IMHO the most amazing dinning experience overall available in OC. I eat at Taiko in Irivne as well, IMO Taiko is fast food quality. You can do dramaticly better in OC.

Ikko
735 Baker St # C
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 556-7822
http://www.ocweekly.com/food/feature-review/sashimi-surrender/27947/

Last edited:
Kappo Honda in fountain valley is one of my favs.

cheap, but decent is kabuki at bella terre in huntington beach

Love Kappo Honda although I've never had sushi there.. maybe after the meet tonight!

Best sushi I ever had in my life. Also known as the restaurant without soy sauce on the table. There is really good reason for that.

Watching the chef perform is really jaw dropping expericence. Every little detail is carefully performed, even the amount of sea salt, soy sauce used is carefully calculated to perfection. Don't be too surprised if you see most of everyone there including customers are Japanese.

It is pricey compare to other places, but you get what you pay for here. Only the best. If I were to use cars for comparision, all Sushi restaurants I have tried in OC are Mustangs, maybe Corvette at best, the Ikko by comparison is equivalent to Mclaren F1.

IMHO the most amazing dinning experience overall available in OC. I eat at Taiko in Irivne as well, IMO Taiko is fast food quality. You can do dramaticly better in OC.

Ikko
735 Baker St # C
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 556-7822
http://www.ocweekly.com/food/feature-review/sashimi-surrender/27947/

Why haven't we gone here yet!!! :eek::wink::biggrin:

Chado,

Heck YEAH!!! Sushi after SCA, probably better than Korean BBQ... maybe... just maybe.

Im in chado, should we set up a little date night/meet , and bring the girls?

Matt I'm always down! Jennifer usually isn't able to make week nights, but only for a few more weeks I believe...weekends are always good.

You going to SCA tonight?

Besides I need a pre-4th of July celebration for Baron Davis to the clips!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions....I'm really looking forward to trying some new sushi places in Orange County with better quality fish.

Chado - I've tried Chomp once in Fullerton, fun experience but I don't remember having any sushi. I think I had some type of steak (labeled kobe) and shrimp dish, very active eating experience.

Sicarious - Just read the reviews for Kappo Honda and it reminds me of place called Honda Ya in Tustin (semi decent sushi, but they have alot of other authentic small Japanese dishes worth a try) I'll give Kappo a try soon.

Nsxsupra - Really looking foward to trying Ikko....sounds promising with the omakase experience, which is what I'll definitely have. (minus duck, I'm not a fan).

Chado,

Heck YEAH!!! Sushi after SCA, probably better than Korean BBQ... maybe... just maybe.

Just a suggestion, my personal favorite location for Korean BBQ in south county:

Lighttown House
8902 Garden Grove Blvd
Garden Grove, CA 92844
(714) 638-7333

Also, if your interested in Japanese style Korean BBQ, great joint called Anjin near South Coast.

Anjin
3033 Bristol St Ste N
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 979-6700

Not sure if it's still around as I don't live there anymore but Shimura in Fountain Valley used to be pretty good too. They are on the corner of Brookhurst and Garfield.

Matt I'm always down! Jennifer usually isn't able to make week nights, but only for a few more weeks I believe...weekends are always good.

You going to SCA tonight?

Besides I need a pre-4th of July celebration for Baron Davis to the clips!!

I'll get my stuff in line and we will do it. I ripped my car appart last night inside and out.... :eek: I'll get her back together for the Coastal drive and we will go soon.
Matt

Sushi Plantation Hands Down - in Mission Viejo

5 South
Exit Avery, Turn Left under freeway
Turn left into driveway (where the Del Taco is)
Make next right and its on your right.

They go to the fish market in LA every morning. Can't beat that!

Sushi Plantation Hands Down - in Mission Viejo

5 South
Exit Avery, Turn Left under freeway
Turn left into driveway (where the Del Taco is)
Make next right and its on your right.

They go to the fish market in LA every morning. Can't beat that!

Wow thats down the street almost.. I'll have to go. Thanks!

my vote is for:

Anjin
3033 Bristol St Ste N
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 979-6700

But the wait is killa if you get there 30minutes after they open. Try to get into the door as soon as they open, otherwise, bring yourself a sandwich...cuz it's like hours of waiting to eat some uncooked food. :biggrin:

I hear there is a long wait there, but well worth it..
Matt

The secret to Taiko is to have someone go early and hold a place in line for your party. Then the others in your party arrive/return before they open.

If you go to Taiko send a Biiru to my Sushi Chef Chiba-san. Tell him his brother say's HI!!

Last edited:
my vote is for:

Anjin
3033 Bristol St Ste N
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 979-6700

But the wait is killa if you get there 30minutes after they open. Try to get into the door as soon as they open, otherwise, bring yourself a sandwich...cuz it's like hours of waiting to eat some uncooked food. :biggrin:
Lol, I waited 1 hour and 30 minutes last time:frown:

Nsxsupra - Really looking foward to trying Ikko....sounds promising with the omakase experience, which is what I'll definitely have. (minus duck, I'm not a fan).

There are free weekly publications you can pick up at Marukai and Mitsuwa. These publications have listing, rating, and recommendations for many Japanese restaurants in OC. There are many good ones, but not many will leave a long lasting impression, at least to me.

If you give Ikko a try, don't limit yourself to お任せ and make sure you sit at the bar not the table. I was under impression that you wanted something that could potentially top Sasabune in Oahu, Hawaii. In other word something not just good enough. That is why I recommended Ikko. Zero disrespect intended to anyone.

Billy Johnson once said: "Quite often the scale of performance is relative to the best product that an individual has used. And quite often once they start experiencing products at the true higher end of the spectrum, they become enlightened".:smile:

Last edited:
my vote is for:

Anjin
3033 Bristol St Ste N
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 979-6700

anjin is good but they dont serve sushi

Back