• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Suggestions for new Sound System??

Well she's all done! Total came to $3600 even... here is what I got:

1 Memphis 4 gauge amp kit w/fuse holder Model #174GPK $150
2 Tsunami rca pro 2 channel 17' twisted model # rtp10.917 $90 x 2
1 JL audio 6.5 2 way components model # xr650csi $450
1 Metra 12x12 universal ABS model # 89009030 $41
2 Street Glow Neon tube for amp decoration $42.50 x 2
1 PAC 95-up nissan w/bose model # aoemnis2 $150
1 JL audip 5 channel amp model # 500/5 $899
1 JL audio 8 in 4 ohm final impedance model # cs108tgwo $299
2 JL audio 4' co-axial speakers model # tr400cxi $125 x 2

I had them build a custom fiberglass enclosure in the passenger side footwell. What do you guys think? I am very impresessed with the installation. Sub is barely noticable and the installation of the amp is show quality; partially due to the red neon but it goes together really well. The tweeters are now on my door panel and the sound is simply unreal. I am very happy. Ill post pics as soon as it stops raining. This concludes my sound system! (for now at least) :biggrin:

Congratulations!
I'm sure it sounds really good!
Some quick feedback on your pricing -
Overall you paid top $ for the equipment - unfortunately, usually the price you pay when going to an install shop is you pay list for the hardware.
The PAC adapter is unnecessary additional expense - the OEM head will work perfectly well without it. That adapter is really intended for use with an after-market head with the OEM Nissan Bose speakers with self contained amps. Since both the Nissan & NSX have pre-amp level O/P's from the stock heads, it is not necessary to use this when using an external amp. Instead of this plus the Metra adapter for close to $200, it could have been about $12 using the regular adapter harnesses. (I have both a Nissan 300ZXTT & an NSX incidentally - the Z has the same problem with the Bose amps failures as does the NSX)

Looking forward to pics.

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Well she's all done! Total came to $3600 even... here is what I got:
1 JL audio 8 in 4 ohm final impedance model # cs108tgwo $299

Why did they charge you for the JL Audio truck Wedge box? You had a custom fiberglass box made so why would you need to enclosed subwoofer box?

http://www.jlaudio.com/enclosures/CS108TGW0.html

They should have charged you for just the sub. The sub by itself I normally pay about $100 for if it's the 8W3v2 and probably around $70 if it's the 8W0 but that's going to a shop that normally cuts me discounts.

Not trying to say they ripped you off or anything, but I'm looking at the prices on like the RCAs, amp kit, ABS panel ($41?!?!), that's a lot of money... I know going through my distributor I'd pay at most about $100 for all of those items.

Also noticed they charged you for 2 sets of tr400cxi speakers. So that means you have 4 coaxial speakers in your car. Is that right??? Where did they go? If it's only a pair, they are definitely not $125 each...

I'm not trying to threadcrap but I think there's a little something fishy going on judging by the prices they gave you and the parts list you posted. It might have something to do with the fact you drive a nice car... I hate to see someone get ripped off which is why I'm replying.

The use of that PAC adapter as D'Ecosse has mentioned is unneccessary. The subwoofer they quoted you on is for a BOX, not a raw driver, and is way high. The ABS panel they charged you $41 is about $5. The coaxials, I don't think you can find the space to put 2 pairs. If only a single pair, you should have paid $125 for the pair (69.95 most places).

I think they charged you retail price for just about everything, and that's fine, really high end places will do that. But I think you may have paid for some things you didn't get. You might want to check your inventory.

But congrats and I can't wait to see the pics...

it is a high-end audio shop- owner has an NSX himself and ive had systems installed there before and they are always great. If anything ever blows they just give me new equipment instead of sending it back and waiting. The install always looks unreal and like I always say; you get what you paid for. Im sure the job could have been done for under $3k put Ill gladly pay for perfection and convience.

It was raining yesterday in NJ and it snowed a little last night so I didnt pickup it up yet. I just went to see it and pay for it. I should have pics as soon as I can get her back in my custody. My brother might pick her up for me so maybe I can take some pics on sunday. I have work all the time and when I get home its already dark. :frown:

demigod said:
Sounds like a good setup. :smile: Can you post some pics of it?

Ditto... and I'd also like to see some pics. I'm thinking of upgrading my '05 with a better amp and speakers. But like you, I want to keep it as close to the OEM look as possible.

DAMN i work in this indusrty...I just looked over the list of products and i hate to tell people this, but you my friend where severly taken advantage of. this practice is what gives other shops bad names.

like asked before..where are all these 4 inch coax speakers, the are $125 full pop retail for one pair, where did they even put them? the xt650 seem kinds high but not bad...I also wonder what they did with the truck box they took the subwoofer out of. I am assuming they did not have an 8 inch sub in stock...so they used that one (which is $89 retail sub only)

why two pair of RCA's? for the sub control? i thought you kept the factory head unit...if so last i check it didnt have a sub woofer output or control on it.

which makes me wonder why they used a 5 channel amp when you dont reall have rear speakers...OH YEAH all those mystery 4 inch speakers....(i would be asking about that)

the one thing that KILLS me is the memphis power wire kit (this a cheap brand but wire is wire for this application so...) but $100+...i have the memphis dealer pricing open in front of me as i write this...$22.00 plus discount which with this company can be up to 30%.......

Man if you are happy that is all that really matters but you did get taken advantage of and that bothers me. shops like this make it hard for me to do my job (FWIW i sell these types of products to the shops that then sell it to you, for a different manufacture) I probably even sell these guys in they are in NJ.

They give you new product because thats what we do for them...the manufactures handle warrenty not the dealers...its not a dealers warrenty its a manufactures warrenty.

you should have waited for some ones help.

just my .02

AU_NSX said:
I have replaced mine with the latest Alpine MP3/wmf CD Changer. This is plug-n-play, no need to have any adapters or the like. This new unit allows me to play MP3's through the STOCK OEM head unit just like a normal CD!

Hi AU_NSX,

You mentioned that you are using the latest Alpine MP#/WMF CD Changer, may i know which model you are using now? S634 ? Isn't that unit originally comes with an AI-Net Connector in the box? Yeah, I know that unit do support M-Bus, as well... But I just don't see any M-BUS connector or adaptor for M-BUS connection. Do you mind to tell me how you did it?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry man, one more real stinger - those $90 RCA's are $28 at Autotoys.
- normal price is $40.

I'm sure it seems like we're ganging up on you - that's really not the case. It's genuinely constructive advice. I know you're really proud of your results & from your post it appears you might have even been suggesting what a great deal it was - it simply wasn't a great deal in pure dollars & cents but may still be a decent physical result for you, visually & audibly. And if you are happy then that is the main thing and I would be the last one to diminish that feeling. But it's important others aren't benchmarking these prices as good, or even OK, frankly.

The JL stuff can be had at about half of what you paid in all from e-bay merchants, but maybe your warranty through an authorized dealer might be better; however with that much spending on a total package I would have been pressing hard for a substantial discount off the hardware or the install work itself.

Most importantly as Malibu, 01blacks4 & I have indicated, there is a lot of suspect "gouging" going on and I think these are worth challenging to get a reduction in your final bill - it will sound a whole lot sweeter for the effort!

Enjoy it, regardless!

01blacks4 said:
was it Auto Sound, Auto Image or Lee's? just wondering

Auto Image, First of Im not suggesting I got a good deal; im sure I paid full retail and then some but as you have all said, "if im happy, thats the most important thing". Could this job have been done for under $3k? Im sure of it, was it a convienent and easy process? The easiest! They let me keep me car inside their shop for as long as I have to due to my extremly busy schedule and detailed my car so Its perfect upon delivery. Little things like that I value greatly. To all others who are looking for a sound system, my advice is if saving money is a concern- shop around! I work and am somewhat successful and the money saving aspect doesnt bother me all that much ( in regards to $600 or so dollars) If I paid $3600 and the job could have been done for $1500 then I might have been upset. Ill post pix as soon as the weather gets better, NJ weather sucks! Im not trying to seem arogant or like I dont care about $$$ (im not a millionare) but Im happy with the end result.

01blacks4 said:
just be patient guys....something cool is coming......

Hi

I am ready for something cool.

I would like to exchange the sub, doorspeakers and center, and also the amps here and there.

I still want to keep the head unit and the cd changer in the back. Maybe I change the head unit to a 2 din thing in the future, but I like the stock look for now.

What I want is better sound (no sound at the moment because something is wrong) and I do not want big modifications to my NSX.

Well I am not sure how I define "big modifications". But hopefully the "cool thing" that blacks4 refers to is a kit that I can install myself. I am not a complete jerk with a screwdriver, but it would be nice to be able to install it without a lot of hassle in about 2 days or something.

Keep me posted. Maybe a group buy?

Regards

hmmm...i dont know...ill post with a "maybe" time frame tomorrow though...with Prime down it seems like the worls stopped :)

01blacks4 said:
hmmm...i dont know...ill post with a "maybe" time frame tomorrow though...with Prime down it seems like the worls stopped :)

Hi

Sorry to "bump" you on this. But we would love some details :)

Gives us something to look forward to :smile: and also maybe a clue on how much money I need to transfer from my "food budget" to my "NSX budget".

Regards

Hi

Somebody whispered in my ear on the forthcoming stereo setup.

From what I have heard it sounds like it will be the perfect kit for me and many others. Will bring top quality as a DIY kit.

I am really looking forward to this.

My stereo is fu**** up so I need to do something. Will have to settle with my Tubi until this kit will be availible :)

If there is a waitinglist I am at the top now :)

Regards

92NSX said:
I had the setup I was happy with until a few months ago. Several problems have come up since then and I am no longer satisfied. :frown:

Hi

What setup did you have and what problems did you have?

Regards

martin said:
Hi

What setup did you have and what problems did you have?

Regards

OEM head unit running to a Xtant X603 amp in trunk. Head unit died on me so I have been thru some serious trials trying to get a good used one. Finally did that only to find that my amp was acting up also. Sent it off to be fixed and got it back. Didn't sound right so I turned a couple of dials on the circuit board that weren't supposed to be so I had to send it off again. Paid $65 to next day ship it to be fixed and paid $110 return next day to have in time for out of town trip I planned on taking.
Got the amp back today and it isn't fixed !!! I am SO MAD right now I can't see straight. :mad: :mad:

sorry guys i was in Daytona for the stereo event they have every year....

this is what i can tell you so far...it will be between $100 and $10,000 and be bigger than a bread box. :)
I hopefully will have some more infor in the morning as i havent even checked voice mail in a week.

01blacks4 said:
sorry guys i was in Daytona for the stereo event they have every year....

this is what i can tell you so far...it will be between $100 and $10,000 and be bigger than a bread box. :)
I hopefully will have some more infor in the morning as i havent even checked voice mail in a week.

Hi

Great! Regular size bread or those smaller ones? :)

Regards

Back