• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sun roof for NSX

Has anyone seen an NSX with a sunroof? I have a '92 and would like to let the sun in but I do not want to risk structural integrity.
Of course I also do not wish to mare the beautiful line on the car. THANKS!

Originally posted by Airmaui:
Has anyone seen an NSX with a sunroof? I have a '92 and would like to let the sun in but I do not want to risk structural integrity.
Of course I also do not wish to mare the beautiful line on the car. THANKS!

I think by definition a sun roof or moon roof would have to be retractable in some way. I dont know how that is possible on the NSX? You would be forced into some type of ackward way to attach and detach the roof without the benefit of being able to lift from the edges like you can with the targa, and no place to put the roof once you get it out other than the trunk. just thinking out loud....

Steven Peng has one on his '91. You might want to e-mail him and ask for more info - I'm not sure if he had it done or bought the car that way.

NsSeX.jpg

Go here for more info and his e-mail address. http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/owners/speng/steven_peng.htm

Just make sure you take it somewhere good because if they mess up, replacing the roof is an expensive and involved operation. It is the only body panel that is really difficult to replace because it does not bolt on like the others.

I have a '92 and would like to let the sun in but I do not want to risk structural integrity.

Not advisable; there is no way to do this without losing a lot of structural rigidity. Best bet is to trade it for an NSX-T (which will still sacrifice SOME rigidity, but not as much, thanks to the reinforced door sills etc on the -T).

interesting sunroof, but.... what is up with that wing? do you really get much help with downforce with it mounted on top of the existing wing? my wing seems flimsy enough that I dont even push on it to close the trunk, much less mount a wing. am I missing something?

This is only the second sunroof that I have seen installed in an NSX. The coupes have a main structural beam in the middle of the roof connecting the cowl with the rear bulk head, so it is likely that this car has less rigidity than a stock coupe.

I think the sunroof is very attractive. I'm one who believe's that each car is a reflection of the owner's interests and desires. Steve probably does not track his car often, and enjoys the style of the sunroof. I hit the track frequently in my NSX, which is why I sold my targa car for a couple even though I miss it dearly. Luckily, I have my new Miata-R for the sunny topless days.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

[This message has been edited by ScienceofSpeed (edited 15 May 2001).]

I suspect the wing is for looks. Steven shows his car a lot; it was the display car in the Meguiar's booth at Hot Import Nights in Atlantic City recently. Even those not interested in car shows should recognize that something like that does a lot to promote the image of the NSX and create interest from the general car-enthusiast public.

Not everyone modifies exclusively for performance or is interested in driving their car on the track. Even those who do track their cars heavily often make appearance mods (how many HP do the flames on Hayashi's car give him?)

I doubt a sunroof compromises the rigidity of the car more than (or probably even as much as) a -T. It may be a noticable to the experienced driver, and you do lose some reinforcement, but the sunroof doesn't cut the critical connections between the A and B pillars on the sides. With the -T you lose all connection between the A and B pillars, and no amount of reinforcement elsewhere totally makes up for that.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 16 May 2001).]

Originally posted by Lud:

Not everyone modifies exclusively for performance or is interested in driving their car on the track. Even those who do track their cars heavily often make appearance mods (how many HP do the flames on Hayashi's car give him?)

Lud, dont misinterpret my message, I am the last person that would criticize someone for MAKING an appearance mod. I simply did not think the wing could be effective how it is mounted.

Going back to the original topic.

On the 360 Modena, Ferrari offers a factory option sunroof, which is a removable panel that tucks in behind the seats.

Point here -- if PROPERLY done, it CAN work. Note that the 360 coupe (and Spider) have the benefit of more current chassis technology (if the chassis is rigid enough to make a world-class ragtop, punching a little hole in the roof is probably acceptable).

------------------
Manuel C
93 NSX S/B #394
93 300CE
93 NH750

Originally posted by nsx1164:

Point here -- if PROPERLY done, it CAN work.

Agree.

I would think some of the sheetmetal on the top serve the purpose of shielding our head than adding a lot of structural rigidity. Glass can do the same, even if it's not as stong as sheet metal, but it might be providing all it needs.
Like Lud said "... the sunroof doesn't cut the critical connections between the A and B pillars on the sides."

Now, how much of a head room do u loose?

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 16 May 2001).]

Point here -- if PROPERLY done, it CAN work.

Yes, but keep in mind - what you are describing is it being done properly BY THE FACTORY. Ferrari undoubtedly designed its 360 in a way that reinforced the roof edges so that they would compensate for the torsional rigidity that is sacrificed by the loss of the solid panel that connects them. This is exactly what Honda did when it used thicker metal in the door sills and other parts in the NSX-T, to compensate for the loss of rigidity from the top. If you simply cut a sunroof into a '92, with its thinner metal door sills and such, you are not "doing it properly" - not compensating - the way the factory did.

You will also probably make the car significantly more difficult to sell and hence decreasing its market value.

OTOH if all of this is understood, and you decide that you still want to go this route - either because you want to create a show car like the one pictured, or you just (damn well) feel like it- by all means GO FOR IT! And let us know how it turns out.

Back