• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Superhatch's OEM rebuild

I just finished up my intro post here if anyone is interested: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/216776-Superhatch-s-intro-Civic-wagon-guy-buys-an-NSX

With that out of the way welcome to my OEM build/resto thread.

I was lucky to find an unlisted 1992 Formula Red/Black NSX in 'Fair' condition as per KBB. The short version is that I bought this from a friend of a friend who was selling a car to a guy who's friend owned an NSX that he wanted to sell. The owner history is a bit muddy but the story to date is: 1st owner bought it in AZ and drove it for 8 years or so, was told he was so tall he drove the car w/o a drivers seat and used a low lawn chair? 2nd owner daily drove it for 14 years to work, and then let it sit in his driveway for 5 years, no cover, no nothing. 3rd owner (Prime member) knew of the car due to it being his friend's dad's car and bought it and brought it back to life doing oil, a fuel injector wire repair, battery, and brakes (as well as a thorough scrubbing), and put on about 2500m. I'm the 4th owner and put on about 8k in the 4 months I've had it.

I initially had lots of plans. Sakibomb coilover setup NSX-R clone, 17" square setup, etc. Then I drove the car. I've driven modern sports cars, some supercars, and a few racecars on track, and this 30 year old car just hit all the right spots for me. It was that same late 80s-early 90s Honda quality and feel that I knew and loved, quick enough to put a smile on my face and handled like a dream for a car with 170k and no maintenance history to tell me about suspension.

I quickly threw out the idea of all my modifications and realized that a proper OEM or OEM+ build would be rewarding and plenty of fun once done.

I've got a spreadsheet going to cover the things Ill need to do, and between Lap of The World, and Drivers Therapy I've got most of my projects covered on YouTube so I'm excited to get this all done.

I've done some of the work in the last few months but I'll document my progress here as I get to new stuff. I've got some pics here I'll share of the car and I'll do some before and afters in the thread as I get more work done.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2u42Y3JKn1RrbP2fA

IMG_6487.jpg

Indented = Complete

Exterior

Front Bumper Respray
Left Fender Damage (Fender Replacement?)

Roof Respray

Front Lower Lip
B-pillar Replacement/Paint
Door Handle Replacement/Paint
Door/Window Trim Paint

Paintles Dent Repair
Windshield Wiper Arms Painted

OEM Blades

Interior

Center Console Repaint
L/R Door Console Paint
Speaker Upgrades (SOS upgrade?)
Coin Slot 3d Print?

Seat Recover L/R
Seat Belt Reparis/Maint L/R
Center Arm Rest Replacement
Shifter Replacement - Zanardi

Steering Wheel Replacement
Passenger Rear Door Sash Missing
Window regulator repair L/R
Pedal Covers (All) - OEM

Carpet replacement
Floor Mat replacement
Full interior clean

Defrost plastics replacement
Engine Cover Flocking Replacement

Engine
Air filter
VTEC solenoid gasket (rear)

Oil Pan Nuts/Bolts Some Missing

Timing Belt - Gates Blue

Water Pump - OEM

Radiator Hose Replacement - OEM

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement - OEM

Electronics

Replace TCU
Replace CCU (looks rough)

Check caps on all other ECU modules
LED Headlight upgrade

LED bulb upgrades

A/C repair

Suspension

Top Hat Bushings
Struts
UCA Bushings

LCA Bushings

Sway Bar Bushings
Wheel Bearings?
New Tires - Continental ECS OEM sizes

Last edited:
I quickly threw out the idea of all my modifications and realized that a proper OEM or OEM+ build would be rewarding and plenty of fun once done.

I've got a spreadsheet going to cover the things Ill need to do, and between Lap of The World, and Drivers Therapy I've got most of my projects covered on YouTube so I'm excited to get this all done.

Oh man- that's the best news on Prime in a while! Another OEM+ build! :D I was like you when I bought my first NSX- it was going to be a full NA2 NSX-R clone with the Champ White and everything. These days, I'm just trying to make a nice OEM+ S Zero.

I think your list is a good one. You should check my build thread- lots of good info in there, as I am essentially just doing a U.S. version of the factory NSX Refresh program. Some other things to consider:

• Based on age, your NSX is due for an engine refresh service. This goes beyond the standard TB/WP service. You basically replace all the rubber O-rings and seals inside the engine, clean everything and reassemble with a new TB, WP, crank pulley, etc. At 30 years old, even this Honda needs some love. I would also inspect the head gaskets for signs of leaks. I typically don't recommend changing them unless there is a problem, but again, 30 years is a lot to ask of graphite gaskets that see 8,000 rpm.
  • You may want to look at your rubber suspension bushings- especially on the older cars like the 91s and 92s. On my 92, almost all of them are cracked or torn. Honda's solution to this at the Refresh Center is to just replace all the components, which is like $15,000! :eek: A more reasonable option is the Prothane poly bushing kit ($300), but you will need access to a press. These bushings, along with a worn-out suspension, contribute the most to the tired, "vague" feeling on a old NSX. You will be amazed at the difference.
  • If the car is on the original suspension, I would source new OEM kits from Mita Motorsports. You will LOVE the NSX on a fresh suspension.

Oh man- that's the best news on Prime in a while! Another OEM+ build! :D

Honcho, I'll check out your thread for sure.

Regarding your 3 points:

Engine refresh: I'll probably tackle this over the winter, it's a great idea, and shouldn't be too much work.
Suspension bushings: I looked into this already, I've got my eye on a prothane kit that I'll probably get after inspecting my bushings this winter. Since I don't have a lot of maint. history with the car maybe they were replaced at some point?
New Suspension: I was lucky enough to snag a 40k mile set from a Prime member about a month ago. They will be my holdover until I pick up a type S set from MITA.

If you study all of honcho's thread make sure to clear that day....grab a tall beverage and enjoy...

If you study all of honcho's thread make sure to clear that day....grab a tall beverage and enjoy...

I think I made it two pages in last night, what an amazing resto. Can't wait to finish the story so far and watch the rest.

At this point it's a multi-day endeavor. :D I am working on restoring pictures, but it's gonna take a while.

Well the wagon is complete. Did a full OEM rebuild on it (oem wheels are being provided by new owner). Went from a 350hp D16 with boost back to a 108hp D16 with a full OEM engine bay, and full OEM RT suspension. 5 years of ownership, 2 of which were on jacks. :biggrin:

That opens up my workshop side of the garage for the NSX and I can really start getting to work on it.

signal-2021-09-26-135117_001.jpg

Well the wagon is complete. Did a full OEM rebuild on it (oem wheels are being provided by new owner). Went from a 350hp D16 with boost back to a 108hp D16 with a full OEM engine bay, and full OEM RT suspension. 5 years of ownership, 2 of which were on jacks. :biggrin:

Good lord. Makes me realize how much of a piece of crap mine is, out sitting in my "graveyard". I'll come back around to it though once I'm done with the Acuras.

Back