• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supra owner needing some advice

Ok..I currently have a 94 supra, I am happy with it but just might want something else for now...I want to get a 97 nsx and supercharge it..My question is this..who has a 97 or newer nsx that they dynoed and then put on intak,exhaust, headers, supercharger (gruppem) preferably and then dynoed it again..also 1/4 mile differences would be good...
Thanks

------------------
View

-1994 TT 6 Speed
-HKS VPC,EVC, Super Dragger Exhaust
-Spearco Front mount IC
-Rod Millen DP
-Sparco NSII viper 18's
-R.M. cross drilled rotors
-h.p.=? (0-blowjob in .7 seconds)
AIM=boomigotyomom

[This message has been edited by sonik (edited 18 July 2001).]

I met a guy in town with a 1998 S/C with a bunch of mods. He said he is pushing 380 HP to the wheels. 11.3 in the 1/4 mile. He said he has put $125,000 into the car total (with car cost included).

I am supposed to drive it this week. I will let you know what else I find out.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Sonik-

One thing to keep in mind is that you need less horspeower in a NSX to achieve the same ETs as a Supra. A strong BPU Supra with 400 or so rwhp, will usually run low to mid 12s depending on the driver. As in the example NetViper posted a 380 rwhp NSX is running 11.3s. All this said, the NSX is still not a drag racer even though 11.3s will beat most everything on the street. On a road course, that same 380 supercharded machine in the hands of equal drivers will wipe every Supra off the track.

sonik, the comptech web site shows a dyno chart with three lines: 1. of a stock 3.2, 2. with headers, exhaust, airbox, 3. then with h,e,a + sc.
www.comptechusa.com , products, nsx, supercharger package - nsx, dyno (under the year you want - Power Plus Supercharger Kit (NSX Targa 97-01))

I understand your focus on HP but is that your primary focus for this car decision? I have previously owned an unmodified 98 Supra TT (it was stolen) and I currently have an unmodified NSX. Both models are truly wonderful vehicles but very different driving experiences. I would not say that one is better or worse than the other... just different. Even if you were to get the HP or more importantly the speed/track times to the equal levels between the cars, you will still have two completely different feeling vehicles. I won't drag you through all the differences here but I would just recommend that you don't lose sight of them as they become very important on a day-to-day basis.

You can't go wrong either way!

You will never get the HP/$ (or ET/$) from the NSX that you will from the Supra. The SC kits max out pretty low, and even with a turbo you are limited to ~425 HP "bolt-on" due to block limitations. To get more requires complete rebuild and block strengthening

All that said, I'll take a 400 HP NSX over a 600 HP Supra any day.

"He said he is pushing 380 HP to the wheels. 11.3 in the 1/4 mile."

I'm skeptical. You need A LOT more than 380 hp to run a deep 11.3 (not to mention a cage, drag suspension, and stronger axles). 12.3 would be a major success with those mods.

Comptech's own 3.2l S/C NSX runs mid to high 12's...

------------------
Red (w/ red top) '91. Comptech Supercharger. RM headers. Comptech exhaust. Short ratio gears. Ring and pinion swap. RM racing suspension. 18/17 wheels/tires.

http://216.117.130.77/nsxpir.jpg

'98 Viper GTS. Red with no stripes. Stock. **Sold**

actually, I think the NOS NSX featured on Turbo Mag runs 11.7(or so it says on the article) with like 370-380hp. So with 380hp and a good driver and drag radials, low 11's may be possible. I dunno...just speaking from what I read.

11.3 on a supercharged NSX putting 380 hp to the rear wheels sounds pretty optimistic. High-11s is more realistic. I'd like to see his time slip.

Ok, I talked to him a little more. Turns out he is pushing closer to 360 HP to the wheels and about 415 HP. He is supposed to email me a list of mods. He has short gears in it, 6 speed, lighter springs etc.. car weights 2800 pounds and he never puts more than 1/4 tank of gas in it.

I will check it out more this weekend, but I will agree that 11.3 sounds very fast.

One question though, multisync23 said comptechs own NSX with S/C runs mid to high 12's. Car and Driver tested the NSX Stock at 12.9. Surely the comptech car will knock a second off that!

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

He has short gears in it, 6 speed

Hmmm... Did you tell him that the short gears are only for the five-speed?
wink.gif

My mistake. I guess he meant this:

Ring & Pinion - 4.55:1, 6 speed (NSX 97-00)
$1895.00
4.55 Ring & Pinion
For Years: 97 - up

------------------

Back