• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Survived - worst case scenerio....

So addmitedly, my car is a garage queen.

It's a beautiful Florida evening and I take the car out for a couple hour cruise. On the way home I stop at a local bar for a quick beer and park just outside the windows next to a brand new Z06 Corvette...nobody next me, safe right? Wrong!!! I watch as a 4 door TL pulls in with a handicap card hanging from the mirror. They angle the car in so I can barely get out. I watch in horror as the passengers dissembarq. I see this old guy pull a walker from the trunk and open the passenger door (inches from my car) to help an elderly lady with the walker - which is now between my car and theirs. She backs the walker out towards the front of my car...stumbles and falls on the NSX using it as a brace. I'm now chugging my beer as the whole thing unfolds before my eyes. Thankfully, they make it into the bar/restaurant and there is no marks on the car. I'm a paranoid owner, and to watch this happen - well you can imagine :eek:

Nice cars in parking lots are magnets for dillholes. Even if you park in another zip code, some geezer in a Cadillac will park 3 nanometers from your door.

Never fails.

:mad:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Theres no reason to drive your "best" car to the bar, club, gym, whatever...use the beaters for this...I dont think I've parked mine for a period of time anywhere in the last few years..

So addmitedly, my car is a garage queen.

It's a beautiful Florida evening and I take the car out for a couple hour cruise. On the way home I stop at a local bar for a quick beer and park just outside the windows next to a brand new Z06 Corvette...nobody next me, safe right? Wrong!!! I watch as a 4 door TL pulls in with a handicap card hanging from the mirror. They angle the car in so I can barely get out. I watch in horror as the passengers dissembarq. I see this old guy pull a walker from the trunk and open the passenger door (inches from my car) to help an elderly lady with the walker - which is now between my car and theirs. She backs the walker out towards the front of my car...stumbles and falls on the NSX using it as a brace. I'm now chugging my beer as the whole thing unfolds before my eyes. Thankfully, they make it into the bar/restaurant and there is no marks on the car. I'm a paranoid owner, and to watch this happen - well you can imagine :eek:

The crazy thing is that I was feeling the panic through the computer while reading the story. Maybe it was sympathy pains from a fellow Grand Prix White owner. :wink:

I am glad to hear that your baby was okay.

Theres no reason to drive your "best" car to the bar, club, gym, whatever...use the beaters for this...I dont think I've parked mine for a period of time anywhere in the last few years..

+1

Whenever I ask my wife to go on a drive she always wants to stop to get lunch or do an errand and I tell her that it isn't going to happen. She thinks I am crazy for not wanting to park it anywhere. I tell her that I am not giving anyone a chance to dent my car.

+1

Whenever I ask my wife to go on a drive she always wants to stop to get lunch or do an errand and I tell her that it isn't going to happen. She thinks I am crazy for not wanting to park it anywhere. I tell her that I am not giving anyone a chance to dent my car.

yeah, definitely a hassle.... i don't like parking it places either. but i keep telling myself, if it gets a dent, it'll still be fun to drive :smile:
(too bad i'd probably cry about it and see it every time i got near the car....:frown: )

+1

Well, 25,000 miles on a 1992 tells you I don't do this very often.

That was my biggest problem with the NSX. I was ALWAYS scared to park it. Always worried someone would scratch it, ding it.. etc..

I don't miss that feeling. My buddy in town drives his everywhere and parks it anywhere and had never had a problem.. so maybe it was just me being paranoid.

I feel the same paranoia. I try to park where I can keep an eye on it.

yeah, definitely a hassle.... i don't like parking it places either. but i keep telling myself, if it gets a dent, it'll still be fun to drive :smile:
(too bad i'd probably cry about it and see it every time i got near the car....:frown: )

A dent would just be a great reason to upgrade the car to new valence, hood, front end conversion. When the significant other asks why you just spent $5000 on mods you will have a legit excuse.:smile:

I pray I see someone with insurance dent mine. I will be on the phone with SOS the next day.

Well, 25,000 miles on a 1992 tells you I don't do this very often.

I completely understand. Its just too bad that we have to be so paranoid. I guess the upside is that we don't have to spend alot of money on tires.:redface:

You guys should of seen it this weekend.

I was at the Norcal gathering, and we all finished lunch.
There's like 10+ NSX's and the NSX beside me left early, so there was a parking spot beside my NSX.

The rest of the parking lot (Less than 50 feet away) was almost completely empty.

In front of all the NSX guys and myself, this huge new Mercedes S class tries to park in that ONE spot in between the NSXs...

I was like, seriously, what the heck?!! :mad:
There are litterally a hundred parking spots slightly farther away, and this woman wants to park in that ONE spot.

Anyhow, she finally decided to not park there after attempting twice.

I feel you...I purchased my 1997 NSX on April fools day and have only driven it twice. I'm afraid of rock chips, dents, bird poop, bad drivers on the road and the parking lots, etc...etc...my car will also be a garage queen I will have to admit...BTW, the first day I drove the car home, some kid in a Civic flipped me off. It wasn't my driving I'm definitely sure...I wonder if he was jealous?:smile:

Surviving worst case scenario for me:
I exit one highway onto another going down a right turn/circled cloverleaf.
It is a sunny winter day and all roads in town seemed beyond dry. Suddenly,
the rear break lose. I hear no screeching drift-like sound. Black ice.
Initial reaction, I try not to panic. Calm down. Focus.
I counter steer and catch the slide as the nsx slide down sideways.
(A quick moment lost in time, I thank myself for the skills/knowledges
I have carried on from the earlier years starting out as a drifter)
Traction control is on. I can't recover with the limited power.
I am now totally, literally, 90 degrees sideways. 95 degrees. 100. 105.
I slam on the brakes. Car spins out, nose point at coming traffic.
Car slides backward, then miraculously come to a stop. Rear right bumper
barely touching the guard rail. On coming traffic hypnotized.

Worst case scenario: [In light of recent event]
Just went through a suspension inspection. Now to get quotes on tires.
Car is parked in front of the shop's door. VIP spot, where they drive
your car up for you when you pick up. All is well. I wait in lobby as
they look up tires prices. Kid walks in. He is on his cellphone. He tells
whoever he is talking to that there's a nice nsx out front.
I can clearly hear him in his revealing conversation. He picks up
some keys and walks out. I am looking at my car, admiring the new wash
and shine. He walk pass the two-tone beauty and admires it.
Kid gets in his car, still talking on his cellphone, and backs up.
A little fast there.... wait, wth?
Slam! The nsx jerks up and gets lifted in mid-air. The back end shaking
violently. I see it all happening in slow motion. My heart shatters.
"OH SH*T!!!" I snapped. I run out.
Rear right panel/wheel well is badly dented in. Rim is scratched.
I stare at it in cold silence as the kid nervously wait for a word out of me.
15 minutes later, I come back to my senses and call the cops.

Along the same train of thought...
And, I'm thinking other owners that track their cars will will join in here...

I retired from my racing "career" 10 years ago. For some unknown reason I decide to take my NSX to a track day event. I have many years of driving under my belt, and after checking tire pressures, lug nuts, etc. I head out on the track - as a passenger in my own car with an instructor. I've driven this particular track, although it's been maybe 12 years. The guy does a great job of taking me around, showing me the line. We exchange seats and my first lap at speed through a high speed sweeper...my left rear tire sidewall explodes and the tire comes off the bead!! The car is sliding sideways towards the tire wall and it finally snap spins without hitting anything. In my over 15 years of racing - I had NEVER had anything like that happen. I crawl back to my pit...find the spare I removed and inflate it....and crawl 100 miles back to my garage. I guess someone was trying to tell me something.

best prevention is abstinence - leave it in the garage. Luckily i got one of those handicapped thingy's so i get the dent free zone. lol

The worst is I've parked next to other NSX drivers and watched them slam their door into mine, denting it and acting like it's no big deal.:confused: :mad:

Along the same train of thought...
And, I'm thinking other owners that track their cars will will join in here...

I retired from my racing "career" 10 years ago. For some unknown reason I decide to take my NSX to a track day event. I have many years of driving under my belt, and after checking tire pressures, lug nuts, etc. I head out on the track - as a passenger in my own car with an instructor. I've driven this particular track, although it's been maybe 12 years. The guy does a great job of taking me around, showing me the line. We exchange seats and my first lap at speed through a high speed sweeper...my left rear tire sidewall explodes and the tire comes off the bead!! The car is sliding sideways towards the tire wall and it finally snap spins without hitting anything. In my over 15 years of racing - I had NEVER had anything like that happen. I crawl back to my pit...find the spare I removed and inflate it....and crawl 100 miles back to my garage. I guess someone was trying to tell me something.

At least you are lucky enough to get a warning from that someone.:wink:

The worst is I've parked next to other NSX drivers and watched them slam their door into mine, denting it and acting like it's no big deal.:confused: :mad:

WTF...First off, I would be furious, then I would promptly ask them for their insurance information.

I hope they aren't prime members.

Back