• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Targa Handle - 1995 NSX

Hey everyone, I'm in a bit of bind here. The local tire shop snapped off the passenger side handle of my 1995 NSX Targa.

I thought I had located one online but the order was refunded on the basis that they don't have it in stock. Does anyone know were I can get this part? I don't care if it's an OEM or even some sort of replacement part. I just want to be able to open up my Targa again!!!

Thanks in advance.

Matt

image0.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage5.jpg

Also, I've noticed that my drivers side targa handle is different than my passenger side. The drive side has the sprocket/gear built into the handle and goes onto a smaller gear inside the targa. The passenger side does not have the sproket/gear inside the handle at all and instead goes onto a much larger gear compared to the driver's side. Is this normal?

THanks!!! :)

Matt

The handle for the right side lock on the roof panel is part # 85215-SL0-T01A. Amayama lists them as available.

Buy Genuine Honda 85215-SL0-T01ZA (85215SL0T01ZA) Handle, R. Roof Side Lock *nh1L* for Honda NSX. Prices, fast shipping, photos, weight - Amayama

Can't advise on the difference between right and left because I have never taken mine apart. But, I think the metal insert that was in the broken handle might still be stuck on the shaft on the panel lock.

I am curious as to why a tire shop would feel the need to remove the targa panel to do tire work.

Thanks for the quick response!!! I've placed the order with Amayama so I'm hoping that works out.

I had initially thought that maybe the part had broken off from the handle but the gears and each side are of such different size that it didn't make sense to me.

As for the tire shop, from what I understand, they were worried about body-flex especially in the targa area when the put the car on the lift so they didn't want to risk any damage, which ironically, resulted in damage....

Matt

I bet I know what happened....The roguish brute did not know that you have to push the lever while turning the handle...and kept adding more force to the handle...check that he didn't damage the sliding pins , because I'm sure there was some vertical force applied...:mad:

I'm thinking that the sliding pins are ok because I was able to get the targa to lock back up again but I'll see what I can find.

I'm glad they didn't break the driver's side....It looks like that part is completely discontinued!!!

Is anyone able to confirm that their right and left targa handles are slightly different in how they attach to the gears? I'd have to think that they are different because it seems strange that if they were mirror opposites of each other, then why would the driver side be discontinued but not the passenger side? Unless the driver side was more prone to breaking and they simply stopped making replacements?....

I never took mine off but the handles look symmetric on my 96...and your failure is the first I have seen in my 25 years of ownership....so you have that going for you....

I'm happy to be a first for something in this group. I've always relied on someone else being the first and learning from their experiences. lol

The handles look symmetrical but it appears that they differ slightly "internally"

My part has arrived at the Amayama warehouse so it should ship out soon. Once I have it, I'll be sure to update this thread and let everyone know what worked/didn't work.

Matt

Update

Alrighty guys, here's a quick update.

The right handed handle arrived today. It's essentially identical to the left which of course presents a problem for me....

As you can see in my previous posts, the left hand "gear" located in the targa is much smaller than the right hand "gear" I have. My previous right handle only had the plastic part. The original includes the interior sprocket, which of course, does not line up with the current set up.

I don't know if the inside of my right hand gear become dislodged from the handle but even then, I'm struggling to try to disconnect the potential sprocket that came off the handle from the "gear" that it's connected to....

Anyone have any suggestions?

Double Update

SO I've taken off the targa panels and was able to get a better look at the gear. I pulled it off and was able to put the new targa handle on with ease. The removable piece was either the inner part of the handle which stayed with the targa when the handle broke, or it was some adapter used by a previous owner.

Of note, I had previously tried using a Del Sol handle and didn't realize this new issue with the adapter/broken gear. At that time, the Del Sol handle wouldn't fit.

I figured I'd try the Del Sol handle now that the gear had been removed. I can confirm that the Del Sol handle works fine, but it's much longer than the Targa handle so it doesn't fit as well inside.

Long Story short (or TLDR)

1) My targa is fixed
2) Del Sol handles work, but they're not perfect. You're better off getting the NSX part

Have a look at the picture of your driver's side handle. You can see that a couple of cracks have formed around the splined insert in the handle. If you remove your roof panel regularly you might want to replace the driver's side handle to avoid a repeat performance of the passenger side failure.

Great eye friend. I’ve tried to put some glue onto that small crack to tighten it up. I saw that that drivers side is largely discontinued but I’m hopeful that Amayama can help out. Thanks for the input/insight 👌

bottom line ...your T top has lead a "tough" life:tongue:

bottom line ...your T top has lead a "tough" life:tongue:

The handles probably last a long time if the user remembers to release the catch first then twist the handle. Perhaps not so long if they yank on the handle first then remember to release the safety catch. Once the catches are released it takes very little torque on the handle to withdraw the pins and I would expect the handles to last a long time.

You’re bang on. I suspect a previous owner or passenger of a previous owner didn’t know what they were doing.

I trust two people to undo the latches. My fiancé and myself. If there’s anyone else in the car, I simply offer to undo the latch myself. Lol

remember...exotic car....:cool:...btw do you have the rubber targa plugs for the holes on the C pillars? having those when buying used means the previous owner had enough concern for the little things...

remember...exotic car....:cool:...btw do you have the rubber targa plugs for the holes on the C pillars? having those when buying used means the previous owner had enough concern for the little things...

I got a pair of these after getting my car. The roof is always off, so I figured I needed them. Tried them a few times, but can't say I can notice any difference. Maybe I'm not going fast enough!

Back