• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TCS light - 1 blink = no code? ('95 NSX)

My '95 NSX has its TCS light come on within a second or two of starting. The light remains on while driving. Last year the TCS light started coming on occasionally, but usually once I drove the car a bit and turned the ignition off and restarted it, the light would stay out. It gradually worsened, and is now always on.

I decided to pull the TCS code today, and the TCS light blinks once and then stays on (in contrast, my CEL blinks repetitively due to a catalytic inefficiency CEL). I took a video that I can post to demonstrate my TCS light's behavior:tongue:. Looking at my service manual (page 19-86 for '95 MY), this does not appear to be an actual code. The only one-blink code should be followed by two short blinks if I'm properly interpreting the table on 19-86. Anyway, does this mean that I don't have an actual code? Would that mean that I shouild be looking at the row under "System indicated" that says, "TCS indicator light does not go off after engine is started?" This row contains a dash under Diagnostic Trouble Code, rather than a blink count.

I checked all my tires and added air to bring them to within specs (one was at 20 psi). Just for the heck of it, I also pulled the clock fuse to reset codes, but the TCS light still behaves the same way when running the diagnostic check. I'm heading out for a 20 mile drive, but I expect the TCS light to remain on.

Thanks for your help and comments.

Here's the very exciting video of the TCS light blinking once and only once upon turning the key to the on position with the Service Check Connector jumpered:

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i5.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/annointed/NSXtroublelights.flv">

I'm looking for confirmation that this one blink means there are no TCS codes accomanying the TCS trouble light.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is related, but when an O2 sensor failed on my '96 last year, it turned on both the CEL and TCS lights. I pulled the code for the CEL and it pinpointed the O2 sensor (front sensor on rear bank). I did not try to pull the TCS code. The dealer replaced the O2 sensor under the entended emmissions warranty and both lights went out.

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

I don't know if this is related, but when an O2 sensor failed on my '96 last year, it turned on both the CEL and TCS lights. I pulled the code for the CEL and it pinpointed the O2 sensor (front sensor on rear bank). I did not try to pull the TCS code. The dealer replaced the O2 sensor under the entended emmissions warranty and both lights went out.

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

Frank, that is VERY helpful. My other CEL code is for an O2 sensor. I have to act on this extended emissions warranty, since it looks like my cats have also lost their effectiveness, as they're throwing P0420. Hopefully the dealer doesn't attempt to claim my Comptec exhaust is somehow responsible for these failures.

Ignore the TCS Indicator, fix the CEL and all will be fine:)

Frank, that is VERY helpful. My other CEL code is for an O2 sensor. I have to act on this extended emissions warranty, since it looks like my cats have also lost their effectiveness, as they're throwing P0420. Hopefully the dealer doesn't attempt to claim my Comptec exhaust is somehow responsible for these failures.

Hey man so did you have to replace your cats or just the o2 sensors? I'm having the same code "P0420" too :)

Hey man so did you have to replace your cats or just the o2 sensors? I'm having the same code "P0420" too :)

0420 is the cat

If you are under the emissions warranty they may replace boith the cat and the 02 sensor.

Regards,
LarryB

0420 is the cat

If you are under the emissions warranty they may replace boith the cat and the 02 sensor.

Regards,
LarryB

Thanks Larry! Now I am facing a dilemma... When I install my headers, should I just get the random tech cats since they are 2.25"? Instead of the OEM ones that are 2"... would that be an issue? Of course other than the cost of the Random Cats ($599) or the 'free' ones from the dealership... :redface:

Should I just get the random tech cats since they are 2.25"? Instead of the OEM ones that are 2"... would that be an issue? Of course other than the cost of the Random Cats ($599) or the 'free' ones from the dealership... :redface:

I really do not know how this would effect the 02 sensors, coild and plugs for the warranty, but I would suspect the warranty would be void if you did not have OEM cats. You would need to check with the dealer, but remember you could open a can of worms:).

Regards,
LarryB

My car recently was throwing the CEL code for the oxygen sensors. It was also throwing the TCS light. I replaced the O2 sensors, and neither one is lighting now.

I really do not know how this would effect the 02 sensors, coild and plugs for the warranty, but I would suspect the warranty would be void if you did not have OEM cats. You would need to check with the dealer, but remember you could open a can of worms:).

Regards,
LarryB

heh yea I have already had all 4 o2 sensors replaced (had a CEL previously) they replaced them for free.... of course if I go to the dealer and get new cats, (why not right?) they should cover it as its still under the extended emissions warranty.

But my question is, is there really that much of a difference between the OEM cats @ 2" vs the random 'hi-flo' cats @ 2.25"... I'm sure the aftermarket ones can handle more air but is it worth the $600?

But my question is, is there really that much of a difference between the OEM cats @ 2" vs the random 'hi-flo' cats @ 2.25"... I'm sure the aftermarket ones can handle more air but is it worth the $600?

What is the rest of the exhaust system? If it is stock, a totasl waste of money. If you have headers, free flowing exhaust, the Random cats may offer you something, but very small gain.

HTH,
LarryB

What is the rest of the exhaust system? If it is stock, a totasl waste of money. If you have headers, free flowing exhaust, the Random cats may offer you something, but very small gain.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry, obviously the air travels from the headers to the cats to the cat back exhaust system.

So when I install my headers, I would have aftermarket headers with OEM cats and aftermarket exhaust. Wouldn't the OEM cats be the bottleneck since its 2" vs the 2.25" that the rest of the system is?

Actually I had just done an oil change the week before my original post, lol. So I'm waiting to hit close to 3k miles, since a free oil change is part of this service:tongue:. Of course, I'll supply the oil, since I don't want the dealer's crappy oil in my car (I'm sure they don't supply synthetic oil). This week I'll turn over 2k miles, so in early September I'm planning to bring it to the dealer for this warrenty coverage.

It appears that both the cats and my o2 sensor have failed, so both should be replaced.

Back