• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Test drove a new M3 today - my impressions...

I am #8 on my dealer's waiting list for a new BMW M3 Cabriolet, so I was invited today to test drive the demo they just received in yesterday. Here's my impressions:

1) The car was Laguna Seca Blue. The guys over on the Bimmer Board are calling it "Smurf Blue", and for good reason. My wife thought the color belonged on a '60's vintage Cadillac - not a very good color (and I love blue cars).

2) The tailpipes looked like BMW went down to Home Depot, bought some 3" plumbing pipe, sawed it off, and installed it on the car - horrible!

3) The handling and road feel are superb - far better than my lowered CLK430 Cab and on par (or better) with the NSX I just bought. The car is tight - very very nice.

4) Acceleration was very quick. I've owned a Viper GTS before, and while it is not on that level, it certainly is quicker than the '91 NSX I just bought. I ran thru the gears going to 6500-7000 several times (redlines at 8000 if I remember correctly), and once got to 100 mph on the on-ramp to the interstate in 3rd with the car still pulling hard. Power is in the upper ranges (5000+ rpm like my NSX).

Thoght people here may be interested.

Mike

Very cool review!
I know that just about every BMW dealer got a M3 for display purposes only and not to be sold! That's cool you actually test drove one!
Since you're #8 on the list, did you get a negotiated price already? Dealers around here in So. Cali. are asking $10,000 over MSRP!!!
eek.gif

------------------
My 1999 3.2TL

My dealership, BMW of Nashville, only charges MSRP on hot, hard to get cars (M3's, M5's and Z8's), so I'm paying sticker price on my M3 Cab.

Yes, I believe that my dealership just got their first allocation for an M3 Cab, and that car should be arriving in Nashville @ May to June.

Since I'm 8th on the Cab list, my car shouldn't arrive until sometime in the early fall (unless some people fall out that are ahead of me on the list). I haven't decided if I'll be taking it, as I'd have to sell my Mercedes CLK430 Cab to buy it, and that car is awfully nice, especially after I've lowered it and installed 18" wheels.

Dealers around here in So. Cali. are asking $10,000 over MSRP!!!
eek.gif

Damn, I should be able to get a Silver M3 by Mid. April. I will take $6000 over invoice. How about that and do you know anyone that wants one?

So if the cab version is that imminent, does that mean that availability of the coupe is not as bad anymore? Are the coupes still in premium territory?

Not much for looks IMO, particularly since the only one I've seen was smurf blue (aargh!) but it sure sounds sweet.

No, the M3 Coupes are not easy to find - in fact, the demos are just hitting dealer lots as we speak, and the first customer cars have yet to be delivered.

Right now, I believe that the wait for an M3 Coupe here in Nashville is 30-40 cars (nearly 2 years), and the wait on an M3 Cab is nearly as long.

I'm number 18 on the list at a dealer in San Antonio, they're only getting one a month... First one arrives next month...
mad.gif

I'll be old and grey before the damn thing gets here. Although, I'm paying $500 below sticker...
wink.gif

------------------
Brian
Austin,TX
95 NSX-T Black/Black

[This message has been edited by BlackMonster (edited 27 March 2001).]

Originally posted by Mike O:
No, the M3 Coupes are not easy to find - in fact, the demos are just hitting dealer lots as we speak, and the first customer cars have yet to be delivered.

I got a friend that put in his order 2.5 years ago, he is #2 in the state to get it. Mid-April is the delivery date which will be new Car #4 for him this year. A car a month, great life, too bad it is not me.

Back