• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The $1.55 Repair

If you all of a sudden discover one day (while out of your car) that your brake lights are illuminated as if the pedal is still being depressed, or your battery is dead, this might be the solution.

If you haven't read this yet, in an effort to get your brake lights off, you've probably:

• flipped the parking lights on and off several times hoping it would fix itself
• grabbed the keys and took'er out for a spin (why not:biggrin:) to see if it magically resets itself
• considered or already pulled a fuse to turn'em off so you don't drain your battery
• disconnected the battery
• ...or it's too late

Regardless, you realize that you're gonna have to get down in the footwell and figure out what's wrong.

The problem is a completely disintegrated rubber stopper (15+ years old) that has fallen into pieces somewhere in your footwell. It fell out of a hole of a metal frame that is part of your brake pedal assembly (part 032).

gone.jpg

The brake switch has a spring loaded pin that gets depressed (= brake lights off) when the pedal is in resting position. If the stopper is missing (note: your brake switch is most likely just fine and not needing to be replaced) the pin will never get depressed thus remaining open and your brake lights as a result will NEVER turn off...even if the key is out. And if you parked your car in the garage and wasn't planning on visiting it again for a week or so, your battery is gone.

These threads 1, 2, & 3 had the same issue but since none of them mentioned the part number or included pics, I put this together and the part # is 46505-SA5-000 which can be purchased for $1.55:eek:. Also, Honda's new stopper is made out of molded plastic instead of rubber.😄

newstopper.jpg

Fortunately for me, awhile back I had a similar issue with the clutch
pedal snagging on something and the solution to repair it was very simple and is exactly the same solution to repair this, so I pretty much knew what was wrong and fixed this in less than five minutes since I already had the part.

So check if you have the rubber or the newer plastic stopper. If it's rubber, check if they are brittle or just save yourself the headache of experiencing any of this by ordering 2 at the same time for a whopping $3.10 and swap out the clutch and brake stoppers.

installed.jpg

Last edited:
These are worth replacing if you still have the original soft plastic on there. Even if it hasn't failed yet. It will.

I got stranded at the movie theater the other day. Saw the remnants in the footwell, thought I picked it up on the bottom of my shoe.

Diagnosing like an idiot Saturday .main relay, starter, battery etc. Turns out its a little plastic button that pushes the clutch switch in all the way. :mad:

These are worth replacing if you still have the original soft plastic on there. Even if it hasn't failed yet. It will.

I got stranded at the movie theater the other day. Saw the remnants in the footwell, thought I picked it up on the bottom of my shoe.

Diagnosing like an idiot Saturday .main relay, starter, battery etc. Turns out its a little plastic button that pushes the clutch switch in all the way. :mad:

Yah Mon... Happened to me in the Keys... Was going stir crazy trying to figure out why she wouldn't crank...... I just bought 4 and keeping them in the 'stock room' .... Works the same for the brake switch as well :D

This has happened to me, almost to the "T."

Does anyone have any tips for installing this plastic piece on the upper part of the pedal for the clutch switch?
I'm trying to do it without removing anything which seems to be pretty much impossible.

The bottom one for the cruise control switch is easy but I have been contorting myself and slicing my fingers on the metal edges trying to get this in the upper hole .

Does anyone have any tips for installing this plastic piece on the upper part of the pedal for the clutch switch?
I'm trying to do it without removing anything which seems to be pretty much impossible.

The bottom one for the cruise control switch is easy but I have been contorting myself and slicing my fingers on the metal edges trying to get this in the upper hole .

As Ross Perot said, "I'm all ears." I'd like to know, too. You pretty much have to be built like a human hotdog to get your body and arms in the pedal bay area, like a typical Japanese assembler. No "hate" intended to my Japanese comrads. Just a little attempt at humor.

As Ross Perot said, "I'm all ears." I'd like to know, too. You pretty much have to be built like a human hotdog to get your body and arms in the pedal bay area, like a typical Japanese assembler. No "hate" intended to my Japanese comrads. Just a little attempt at humor.

The trick to get to the top switch on the clutch pedal is to not replace it, but instead unplug it and jump the two wires together. You lose your clutch safety switch, but you save your arms from getting all cut up.

you just have to press down to clutch/brake pedals down HARD and slip the plastic tab in there, I did it. The old ones were yellow from age and had a crater in the middle from the plunger switch...

Follow-up: I had the mechanic do it when the NSX was on the lift for an oil change. Took no time at all so accessibility from the bottom was the key.

Jumping the clutch switch connector is not a solution, only a temporary rigging IMO.

Long arms and large hands are a hindrance when working on a Japanese automobile.
Now if you're double jointed or you can pop your shoulder out, then the world is yours..

I had the same exact problem, but I was stuck at Blockbuster. How did you manage to put a new button in? I could not fit my hand up there! Can you access it from under the car?

Last edited:
I had the same exact problem, but I was stuck at Blockbuster. How did you manage to put a new button in? I could not fit my hand up there! Can you access it from under the car?

See my post above. I guess it was easier reaching up into the footwell once car was on lift, although a previous poster said he got it in somehow.

I was upside down, head in the footwell, trying to stick it in there from behind or through or around. No go. Sliced my hand up pretty good though.

best bet is bribe a child to use his tiny hands or bribe your mechanic at the shop rate

I just got bit by this bug and thought I would search for a solution here, man I love prime.

this has happend on all my honda products. when it happens I usually get a bolt that fit the hole from my junk bolt box. and put some tape around it so it wont fall out again.

so the 1.55 repair could actually be free.

I did this repair on an old Nissan pickup we recently got rid of. Did the fix with a short bolt and self-locking nut, wht the bolt head replacing the missing plastic stopper. Worked fine for the next six months. Could be a temporary workaround for anyone who has this problem on their NSX and can't get the proper part for a few days.

[edit...just noticed the previous post...well, there ya go]

Looks like I didn't get to it in time... went to drive the car and the battery was gone from the brake lights being left on. I'll try to recharge it but looks like it could be a $101 repair!

Haha thanks for this! Just yesterday I drove my Accord race car (24 hours of lemons) to work for a shake down run and the brake lights stuck on and killed the battery while I was at work.

I haven't even looked at it to fix it yet, and wasn't sure what I would find, but I'm damn surprised to find the fix just lurking around HERE of all places :)

Don't even have an NSX yet!

x52uy0.jpg

AVENTARI,

LOL I have that same car. mine is a 1993 Accord LX, converted to an SE, i removed the F22A1 motor and I put the F22A6 motor in it. all SE parts. and its a 5 speed manual, SE rims, I cut the sunroof myself and welded in the SE moonroof, KA7 front bumper with the fog lights built in and the side street lights, Bumper pole, upgraded all electrical to the BOSE audio system Stock for the SE accord,heated seats. half rear antenna button working
upgraded the dash, to the DUAL AIRBAGS thats stock with the SE.
SE rims( very pricey ) now I just need to paint it, cuz it looks just like yours primered LOL its sure is an Eye sore in my drivway though.
car cover helps LOL

but it makes me smile when my NSX is parked next to her. they make a good match. LOL

I feel bad cuz my NSX is my new project car, the Accord had been an on going project for years now. and she is on hold. poor accord.

I've had this same problem in my Preludes and I found the right length 6 mm bolt and nut, created a jamb nut affair and installed it in place of the plastic bit and problem solved forever for under a dollar.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
Back