• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The 3-in-1 NSX Cup Holder/Phone Holder/Storage Tray

RuI, a few more questions (regarding the large ring with adjustable adapter)...

Is the ring LOW enough to the carpet that it could hold a soda can steady? (it seems high off the ground... maybe too high for a soda can?)
Is that adjustable arm completely removable?
Is the unit really secure/sturdy enough to hold a large cup (like the chic-fil-a cup) full of soda STURDY while hitting the brakes hard or taking fast turns?
What if I had a cup that is fat enough to hold onto the ring, but too short to touch the ground for support..... is the ring construction strong enough to support that weight? (without having the ground for additional support)

**** Can you make the double ring using 2 large rings both having the adjustable arms??!!! If so, I would purchase that "double-large-adjustable" as an extra (and keep it in my glove box for those times my wife asks me to bring her a #2 meal home from chic-fil-a............ yes, we eat A LOT of chic-fil-a..... I'm talking like 3+ times per week at least! I eat out for breakfast lunch and dinner so out of those 21 meals per week, I do chic-fil-a at least 3+ times per week lol)

I like the redone rings, especially for the soda cans.

I am printing with a lot of materials, PLA, ABS, Carbon, Bronzefill, HIPS, Nylon, PETG, HDGlass, depending on the requirements of the parts.
Of all these materials, even with a heated bed, ABS is the one material I have had the most issues with.
Often you read about the strength of ABS printed parts, but in my experience it is not really any stronger than PLA for example. The one main point to use ABS is its ability to withstand higher temperatures than most other materials but for most other options I personally prefer Nylon or PETG.

Hmm. That's strange that youve had so many issues with ABS. Like I said, I really havent had any. As far as strength goes, it really depends on the application and the ways that stresses are applied. I do like Nylon as a print material. With automotive applications, PLA really seems like a no fly zone; leaving something in car on a hot summer day would surely melt/warp it to bits.

- - - Updated - - -

RuI, a few more questions (regarding the large ring with adjustable adapter)...

Is the ring LOW enough to the carpet that it could hold a soda can steady? (it seems high off the ground... maybe too high for a soda can?)
Is that adjustable arm completely removable?
Is the unit really secure/sturdy enough to hold a large cup (like the chic-fil-a cup) full of soda STURDY while hitting the brakes hard or taking fast turns?
What if I had a cup that is fat enough to hold onto the ring, but too short to touch the ground for support..... is the ring construction strong enough to support that weight? (without having the ground for additional support)

**** Can you make the double ring using 2 large rings both having the adjustable arms??!!! If so, I would purchase that "double-large-adjustable" as an extra (and keep it in my glove box for those times my wife asks me to bring her a #2 meal home from chic-fil-a............ yes, we eat A LOT of chic-fil-a..... I'm talking like 3+ times per week at least! I eat out for breakfast lunch and dinner so out of those 21 meals per week, I do chic-fil-a at least 3+ times per week lol)

The ring itself is not low enough that it would hold a soda can steady; it would be above the top of the can. For this reason, I developed the can attachment that raises the can with a tray, holding the can steady and bringing it much closer to the driver.

I will know for sure tomorrow if the ring can support the weight of a bottle or cup without it touching it floor; I think it will depend on the specific weight in question.

Alpo tested the unit using the Gatorade bottle & associated ring under hard cornering and braking/acceleration; he had no problems with the unit as it held everything steady.

I am currently working on the double-large-adjustable attachment; I should have it by this next weekend. Im currently out of town and had to leave my modeling/design computer behind.

That is quite a lot of chic-fil-a...my heart hurts just thinking about it. LOL :D

invoice paid! please send with large adjustable ring, thanks!

chic-fil-a is actually pretty damn good, for a fast food restaurant. The owner walked me through the back... their chicken is NOT "fake" chicken, it's never frozen, not packed with preservatives (delivered every other day), it's actually received fresh from the farm and cut up in the restaurant, breaded (regular breading and spicy breading), but yes it is fried. But still, I was super impressed! It's just like you going to the grocery store and buying fresh chicken and breading it and frying it yourself... not "fast food" to me!

Last edited:
chic-fil-a is actually pretty damn good, for a fast food restaurant. The owner walked me through the back... their chicken is NOT "fake" chicken, it's never frozen, not packed with preservatives (delivered every other day), it's actually received fresh from the farm and cut up in the restaurant, breaded (regular breading and spicy breading), but yes it is fried. But still, I was super impressed! It's just like you going to the grocery store and buying fresh chicken and breading it and frying it yourself... not "fast food" to me!

Now that to me is just incredible. For all the fast food places that sell "fresh" chicken, I guess theres no better verification. Fried or not, if it's the same stuff I'd be buying in the store, then I'd be in your boat as well; pay someone to do it for me since it saves me the time. Time for me is the more valuable commodity.

- - - Updated - - -

I drove around for some time today with the adjustable ring closed around a bottle to suspend it above the floor. The ring flexed, but held 32oz (2lbs) off the floor without a problem. It is stronger if the floor is used as the base, but if you suspend a reasonably sized drink, it should hold without breaking.

All this talk of chicfila i HAD to grab some for lunch today! Gave me the chance to snap a pic of what I'm currently working with...
(can't wait to receive my NEW cup holder!)

Attachments

• 20150810_162516.jpg
    20150810_162516.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Got mine in the mail over the weekend. It's well built and very lightweight, yet it seems strong enough to hold everything in place. Ultimately, I was looking for a place to store my iPhone 6 (other than the passenger seat) and this does it well. I especially appreciate its unobtrusive, slim profile.

The cup holder is nice as well, big enough to hold my 750ml Nalgene water bottle. It would most likely have to be removed if a passenger sits in the car, but thankfully that is an easy task and the mounting point is designed well so that it shouldn't wear down with repeated installation.

The only thing I suggested to Jeff was to offer an option that removes the tabs that surround the phone holder. I believe they are used to keep your wallet in place if you store it underneath the parking brake lever, but I never remove my wallet to drive so they aren't necessary for me. However, the tabs can sort of get in the way of accessing my phone quickly while driving which I sometimes need to do as my phone controls my music. This is definitely not a deal breaker and nothing a dremmel can't fix, but still something to consider adding as an option.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this product. Well designed, fairly priced, quick shipping, and great customer service. Thanks Jeff!

I'm interested in one. And by any chance could you make a phone holder in the cassette slot?

Got mine in the mail over the weekend. It's well built and very lightweight, yet it seems strong enough to hold everything in place. Ultimately, I was looking for a place to store my iPhone 6 (other than the passenger seat) and this does it well. I especially appreciate its unobtrusive, slim profile.

The cup holder is nice as well, big enough to hold my 750ml Nalgene water bottle. It would most likely have to be removed if a passenger sits in the car, but thankfully that is an easy task and the mounting point is designed well so that it shouldn't wear down with repeated installation.

The only thing I suggested to Jeff was to offer an option that removes the tabs that surround the phone holder. I believe they are used to keep your wallet in place if you store it underneath the parking brake lever, but I never remove my wallet to drive so they aren't necessary for me. However, the tabs can sort of get in the way of accessing my phone quickly while driving which I sometimes need to do as my phone controls my music. This is definitely not a deal breaker and nothing a dremmel can't fix, but still something to consider adding as an option.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this product. Well designed, fairly priced, quick shipping, and great customer service. Thanks Jeff!

Thanks for the feedback, Jason!
As per your suggestion, I will now offer an option to receive the 3-in-1 without the tabs. For those of you interested, make sure you specify when you email me to order!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm interested in one. And by any chance could you make a phone holder in the cassette slot?

Boostedtaco: Send me an email with your ring preferences! I can certainly make one of those. I am currently working on a phone holder that will mount to the side of the center console, similar to the one that Brylek recommended. I hope to have both designed and tested by the end of next week!

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty cool piece - very creative for sure but we don't allow drinks in our NSX's!

How do you survive the long road trips?!

Is mine in the mail yet?

Also, if you don't mind lending a hand.... i have a person trying to sell me another product (from Prime) but he keeps sending me an invoice from paypal that is requiring me to create a paypal account... but the method YOU used to send me an invoice did NOT require me to create a paypal account just to pay your invoice. What is he doing differently? What can i tell him to do so he can send me an invoice the exact way you did?

Last edited:
Is mine in the mail yet?

Also, if you don't mind lending a hand.... i have a person trying to sell me another product (from Prime) but he keeps sending me an invoice from paypal that is requiring me to create a paypal account... but the method YOU used to send me an invoice did NOT require me to create a paypal account just to pay your invoice. What is he doing differently? What can i tell him to do so he can send me an invoice the exact way you did?

Yes! Sent it out earlier today. If Paypal didnt send you a shipping notification with the tracking number, then I'll pm you your in just a few minutes.

The Paypal account I have is a designated business account. I would check if he has a personal or a business account; that could be the difference maker.

Good news!

The double-adjustable ring, tape deck phone mount, and center console phone mount are all developed!

Pictures will be up on Saturday. I will have to do some additional (at speed) testing of the console mount. Unfortunately, the NSX I've got to work with right now (Alpo's) does not have a tape deck. Pictures / testing of the tape deck mount will be done in a different vehicle (the only one with a cassette deck that I have access to). The phone holder is the same for both mounts, with the difference being in how it is held. Either of these mounts are useful for those who tend to use their phones as a GPS (like myself).

Additionally, I can offer different colors for the 3-in-1 if there are at least 3 buyers (per color). Available colors are:
White, Orange, Blue, Red, Green, Purple, Silver, Gold, Yellow

just got two of them for my car and my brother...have not put in car yet but look exactly like photo and seem well made and exactly what i was looking for in the car...great guy to communicate and deal with ....

Let me start by saying I have been using this for a month and I like this "large adjustable" cup holder very much and use it every day, it's strong and supportive. I WISH I would have waited for the double-adjustable ring! Now I find myself using BOTH of my separate cup holders (yours, and my other one pictured above)

I am your target audience... I daily drive my nsx and I eat out 3 times per day (there's never food in my house, if I'm hungry, I grab the keys and get going!).

Per week I probably have 15 different types of drinks in my car.... all shapes and sizes.

I will make 1 recommendation... do something to make the ring closer to the floor, maybe and inch or 2. I have found that 50% of the cups out there are too short to be supported. Many are JUST tall enough to have the ring support the top edge of the cup... but then I am presented with a new concern, that your ring actually flips the lids off some cups! (don't ask me how i know)

And I know... I COULD buy the additional can/cup holder attachment to hold my smaller drinks... but instead of creating a product where I need to buy 5 different attachments for all different sized drinks, it would be a more successful product if the core design accommodated all different types of drink sizes.

And I also agree with getting rid of the tabs that are supposed to support the wallet. Would make it look cleaner and less bulky. (I exacto-knifed mine off)

Let me finish by reiterating that I like this product and will continue to use it. But I wish I would have waited for the double-adjustable ring! (which was my suggestion lol!)

Last edited:
I am interested...is there a hole at the bottom for charging plug or adapter.

Let me start by saying I have been using this for a month and I like this "large adjustable" cup holder very much and use it every day, it's strong and supportive. I WISH I would have waited for the double-adjustable ring! Now I find myself using BOTH of my separate cup holders (yours, and my other one pictured above)

I am your target audience... I daily drive my nsx and I eat out 3 times per day (there's never food in my house, if I'm hungry, I grab the keys and get going!).

Per week I probably have 15 different types of drinks in my car.... all shapes and sizes.

I will make 1 recommendation... do something to make the ring closer to the floor, maybe and inch or 2. I have found that 50% of the cups out there are too short to be supported. Many are JUST tall enough to have the ring support the top edge of the cup... but then I am presented with a new concern, that your ring actually flips the lids off some cups! (don't ask me how i know)

And I know... I COULD buy the additional can/cup holder attachment to hold my smaller drinks... but instead of creating a product where I need to buy 5 different attachments for all different sized drinks, it would be a more successful product if the core design accommodated all different types of drink sizes.

And I also agree with getting rid of the tabs that are supposed to support the wallet. Would make it look cleaner and less bulky. (I exacto-knifed mine off)

Let me finish by reiterating that I like this product and will continue to use it. But I wish I would have waited for the double-adjustable ring! (which was my suggestion lol!)

Thanks for the review and the suggestions! It seems like a lot of people have requested a 3-in-1 without the tabs. This, as well as having the ring closer to the floor, will allow me to develop a version 2.0:
The tabbed one will be about 1" longer to continue to accommodate those who prefer the tabs.
The cleaner, non-tabbed unit will be approximately 1.5" longer.

Both of these changes should improve the product for you guys!

PghMiller, I have also sent you a PM. I will work out a special deal for you on the double-adjustable ring, since you were the one who suggested it!

- - - Updated - - -

I am interested...is there a hole at the bottom for charging plug or adapter.

Nukem, currently there is no hole at the bottom for a charging plug or adapter. If you put your phone into the unit top first (with the plug side sticking out), then there should be no need for the additional hole.
However, if you would like to have a hole at the bottom for charging, as said in my description, I am more than happy to accommodate customization, and can do so for you. Please email me so we can work out the additional details.

Best,

Jeff

Did you have any issues with it staying in place? Whenever I pull a cup out the whole cup holder comes with it. I like the little wallet it is just big enough to fit my iPhone 6+ I ordered the tabs, but after actually using it I think it would have been better if I got the no-tab version. If I can find a way to keep it from coming loose I think I would like it. Like you said I think if the ring was about an inch or 2 lower it would be perfect. I got the non-adjustable ring and it works fine for what I need it to hold.

All,

I'd like to announce v2.0 of the 3-in-1:
The basic functionalities of the unit are the same. However, the following 3 aspects are the major changes to the unit:
1) The unit is a little over 1" longer to accommodate some of the shorter cups.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

2) The unit has a slot in the bottom to accommodate for those that would like to place their phone in upright and charge from the bottom.
attachment.php

3) The unit has a new mounting system that no longer locks under the plastic of the console. This new mounting system just requires that you slide the unit into the same position, featuring a new tab that holds the unit down, in-place, and vertical. This prevents some of the issues where the cup holder will lift out of place when you lift your cup out of the holder.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Both the tabbed and tab-less units will be offered. HOWEVER, due to popular demand, the TAB-LESS unit will be the main unit of v2.0, and tabs will only be provided upon special request. The price will remain the same as the 3-in-1 base price of $45, which includes 1 attachment and shipping to the continental US.

With the release of v2.0, I still have 5 units of v1.0 (3 tabless, 2 tabbed). These units will be offered at a discount until they are sold out, first-come first-serve. They will be offered at $35 each (includes 1 attachment and shipping to continental US). This is a discount of approximately 22% from the original price.

Best,
Jeff

Attachments

• Photo Sep 28, 8 13 46 AM.jpg
    Photo Sep 28, 8 13 46 AM.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 303
  • Photo Sep 28, 11 02 15 AM.jpg
    Photo Sep 28, 11 02 15 AM.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 306
  • Photo Sep 28, 8 11 55 AM.jpg
    Photo Sep 28, 8 11 55 AM.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Photo Sep 28, 11 17 55 AM.jpg
    Photo Sep 28, 11 17 55 AM.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 300
  • Photo Sep 28, 11 02 57 AM.jpg
    Photo Sep 28, 11 02 57 AM.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 303
  • Photo Sep 28, 11 06 03 AM.jpg
    Photo Sep 28, 11 06 03 AM.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 303
  • Photo Sep 28, 11 05 41 AM.jpg
    Photo Sep 28, 11 05 41 AM.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 300
Any discounts for those of us who have V1 but want to upgrade to V2?

I will offer the upgrade at the discounted price of $35, which would include an additional attachment. I can offer the upgrade for $30 if you choose not to have another attachment. I will warn that v2.0 has a slight chamfer where the attachments lock onto the unit (this is to provide extra strength to the parts, as well as a slight design feature). This would mean that the old attachments wont mount all the way flush with the new unit, but would still hold firm. This would be hardly noticeable, as seen in the picture below.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-09-28 12.14.37.jpg
    2015-09-28 12.14.37.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 434
Interested in 2.0. Can I send 1.0 back? I have no use for it if I order your new version.

Back