• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Chariot Gauge for Androids......please give your inputs.

I came across someone that came up with a pretty cool kit for cheap that allows you to wire in your sensors into a device that sends that wireless to your android phone. It has built in MAP sensor. I am going to get it but first I want to see what kind of interest others here have this on this device to see about a possible group buy. The following is a quote from the guy behing this awesome device:

GalaxyS3NoReflection.jpg

In-depth info here: www.chariotgauge.com

I've been working on a project that uses a phone as an analog and digital gauge for wideband, boost (MAP), oil pressure and IAT/CLT temp sensors. It connects via Bluetooth and is meant to replace physical gauges for these four sensors. It's very fast and responsive, querying the sensors 50 times a second to keep up with changing conditions. I've never liked having physical gauges in my car for fear of advertising to potential thieves but also wanted to keep an eye on a few things when I'm ripping around. The project has turned out pretty well and I thought there might be potential for other enthusiasts so I'm asking for your feedback.

I'm calling it Chariot Gauge and it consists of a free app (here) and a physical device (here) that connects to the four sensors and transmits the data back to the phone via Bluetooth. The device comes with the MAP sensor on the board, you would need to source your own wideband, oil and temp sensors if they're not already on your car. The app is widely configurable for different sensors and sensor resolutions.

I would sell two kits for the device: a DIY kit for $30 that you can build yourself with instructions on how to do it. Total cost with all components would be around $50. The second option would be a fully assembled kit with pigtail for $100 ready to be installed on your car.

It's currently only available on Android phones. I'd love to port it to iOS but if there's not much interest I'll probably keep it as a personal one-off project and stop development. The app is lightweight and runs smoothly even on old Android phones which can be picked up pretty cheap if you don't already have a few laying around.

My questions are then:
1. Is this something you would be interested in if I started producing them?
2. Is $30 ($50 total) for the DIY kit and $100 for the assembled kit reasonable?
3. Would you be more likely to build your own with the DIY kit or go with the fully assembled?
4. Any other feedback on the project? Anything that needs clarifying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=le-aHxh5phM

Last edited:
For the time being, this works with Android phones only. I asked about making a tablet version App and here is how it went.

If you can make it work on a Android tablet which NSX users normally install into the JDM Navpod that can how all gauges at once you would have a hit.
This is very interesting, I'll be doing some research on tablet integration in NSXs (and other cars) and put a plan together for handling larger screen sizes. As I said in another post, multi-gauge layouts are the first priority in future development. Right now I'm in the feedback and beta stage so the app development is paused. It sounds like there could be good interest in the system so that'll ramp up the dev cycles again.

So in the future it might be a matter of an App update to display all gauges at once.
Either way, price is awesome on this.

That's pretty sweet! Nice find!!

I'm in the camp that would love to see this on a Nexus 7 in landscape mode with multiple gauges, for installation in the nag pod. The ability to pull info from AEM EMS would make this a done deal at almost any price. I have been waiting for a long time for someone to provide this solution as I have never liked the idea of cluttering the inside of a car with Boy-Ricer gauges. I have seen this idea before, but they always force THEIR screen on you.

I wonder how much we would be able to optimize the display?

I'm in the camp that would love to see this on a Nexus 7 in landscape mode with multiple gauges, for installation in the nag pod. The ability to pull info from AEM EMS would make this a done deal at almost any price. I have been waiting for a long time for someone to provide this solution as I have never liked the idea of cluttering the inside of a car with Boy-Ricer gauges. I have seen this idea before, but they always force THEIR screen on you.

I wonder how much we would be able to optimize the display?
It looksike a gablet version is likely in the future. Still waiting on response if it can pull data from ems instead of sensors.

I am in for AEM EMS capability. Would seriously consider buying a complete kit.

Got couple answers. Bad and good news.

1) he has no intentions on AEM compatibility
2) he WILL be doing a tablet version so you can display all 4 gauges at once so it can work in a tablet. That will be his next thing actually. Good news for those that want it in a navpod and not have physical all gauges in car.

Back