• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The future of driving

Btw steve - How do you like the S Class? Do you have the Magic Body Control option? I have been thinking of getting one but not sure I want to take the leap.

Love it, it's my 4th s class. In the mid 2000's I bought the AMG version, S55. This new one feels so much faster than that one did. The only complaint is they removed the top storage bin in the center console so now its just one big catch all pit. Other than that perfect car! No, I did not get MBC because I wanted 4matic and MBC can not at this time be added to the 4matic chassis. The car is pretty close to loaded, rear seat package and all the goodies. I have driven the MBC car and didn't see much of a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Steve, program that thing to drive over my way :). Was just reading an article about how you can buy an older SL65 now for $30k. mb should extend the warranties on these Uber cars to help control catastrophic depreciation.

They are that cheap for good reason. Anything breaks and the car is ready for the junkyard because parts are stupid expensive to replace. When I bought my SL55 there was two of them on the lot, the one I bought with a warranty and one that had no warranty for less than half the price. I'm glad I didn't cheap out because the rear struts went in mine and if I had to pay that bill it would've made up the difference really quickly. The s class I traded in was still a great car closing in on 100k miles but the warranty was ending in October and I wasn't going to chance it.

Last edited:
Well it took less than two years for all the features in Renee's Mercedes to trickle down into the new f150 limited I bought. The truck steers itself, parks itself, and backs the boat trailer up itself. Shouldn't be long before I can sleep while being transported to Florida. BTW, I love this truck. It's the nicest truck I've ever owned and I've had many from every manufacturer, the last four were tundras. As well I'm getting 20mpg or better. Never thought I'd have a truck with a v6 that I even liked, let alone loved.

and just look how far tesla has come since you started this thread. people driving across the country not ever touching the wheel 99% of the trip.

and just look how far tesla has come since you started this thread. people driving across the country not ever touching the wheel 99% of the trip.

Absolutely. Before anyone sites the recent fatal tesla accident I want to say, had the truck also been self drive interconnected with the tesla the accident would have never happened.

I thought I'd add to this discussion given that I've now owned (and daily driven) a first-gen autopilot equipped Tesla Model X for over six months. Note that I included the autopilot option in my build without any real intention of using it (merely added the feature as a means of somewhat future proofing my purchase)...and less than a month after I took ownership, Tesla announced second-generation hardware would be included in every car they produced moving forward with full autonomy their eventual goal. In other words, my somewhat future proof feature was now somewhat obsolete.

Though initially upset by the announcement (had I just bought a really expensive smartphone?), I have come to appreciate the current implementation of the feature far more than I would have ever anticipated...and I use it in a way I never thought I would. In fact, I use it most of the time I am in my Model X even though I know I must stay actively involved in the driving process. I did not expect to be more comfortable enabling it in stop-and-go traffic than when I am on the open highway...largely because the traffic aware cruise control relieves my leg from having to constantly modulate the accelerator and brake pedals. The auto-steer component still has its share of quirks because it relies on clearly visible lane markings (anyone who has driven around L.A., knows how poorly maintained our roads are)...and it doesn't do a great job of anticipating construction walls encroaching upon carpool lanes on the local freeways (I usually take control in these situations). That said, autopilot has made the tedious commute less annoying. It also took a lot of stress out of holiday traffic I encountered while driving up to the Bay Area on the day after Christmas. I stopped being jealous of those who bought the next-gen autopilot Teslas because it took them this long for the second-gen autopilot to reach parity with first gen...and, given the slow roll out of improvements, fully autonomy (which will not ever be coming to my vehicle) is likely a long ways off.

I guess my point about all of this is that a good percentage of our daily driving experience really isn't all that fun...so having any level of autonomy can help reduce the tedium. As mentioned earlier, there are certainly many distracted people out there driving vehicles that probably should be forced into autonomous vehicles given how little they already are actively engaged in the actual driving process. And, once autonomous vehicles include vehicle-to-vehicle communication, I imagine that required regions of autonomy could dramatically improve the traffic flow. I just hope that full autonomy does not fully replace manual driving...because I still like taking the reins when conditions are ideal.

Last edited:
Here is the real "future of driving"

ehang184Hero.jpg

Back