• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Horror! Door scratch!

It was bound to happen - a friend of mine opened the door of my '00 Silverstone Metallic into her car.

She's still recovering. >
smile.gif

So what I've got is a little 2" tall scratch about 3MM wide right on the EDGE of the passenger side door - took off the paint and you can see the gray primer. I admit you have to 'look' for it, but it's there nonetheless.

I know detailing, but nothing about actual paint-related issues. So the question is this - what's the best way to take care of this? Can I do it myself?

Thanks!

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

I actually have the same exact thing on *both* doors
biggrin.gif

I just used some regular old touch up paint and took care of it.

Is it on the edge as in you can't see it when the door is closed? If so, the touch up should be fine.

Unfortunately it's on the outside edge, so you can see it when the door is closed - but only really from the back.

I guess I could try touch-up paint (which is what I was considering), but I wanted to check with the forum members first.

Was your scratch visible at all when the door was closed?

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

Sell the car to me (for cheap - because the paint is "damaged") and treat yourself to a 2002 model. I am sure the Silver '00 would look great next to my Black '91
biggrin.gif

Seriously - good luck in your touch-up/repair.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Sounds like I had very nearly the exact same damage with the exception of mine being on the inside edge. With the door closed, you wouldn't be able to see it.

Both doors happened from the door making contact *once* with a tight and rough garage wall...

Originally posted by Telly Chang:

If you are going the touch-up route, you may also want to look at www.langka.com.

How's Colorado treatin' ya Dave?
Does this really work? What are the results like? Sounds like polishing compound w/ a hard applicator

------------------
no-thanks-i'll-park-it-myself

[This message has been edited by painlus (edited 01 May 2002).]

Yes the stuff works but for metallic paint it's hard to blend it to where its' not noticeable. You have to clear coat over the touch up paint.

Originally posted by spookyp:
I actually have the same exact thing on *both* doors
biggrin.gif

On a semi-related note, I managed to scratch the rear wheelarch of my NSX against the door of my '02 Civic Type R (yes, I was kicking myself... noone to blame but me!)

Any suggestions for making the scratches less noticable?

The NSX appears to have come off better, in that they're less noticable (probably due to the Civic being black and the NSX being grey) - I'm planning on a little cutting polish then some wax. Problem is, both cars are pearlescent and I'm worried that cutting polish won't really work well on the paint - I've had good experiences with it on flat colours though.

Hugo
98 NSX-T / 02 Civic TypeR / 90 Miata Turbo

The Langka stuff works o.k., but, as stated, it is a little difficult to blend perfectly...The end result, although smooth, is a little bit dull compared to the surrounding paint...I've recently used a kit from the Eastwood Co....3M polish with 1200 grit small sanding pads...It works great. I've repaired a number of small chips and they are blended perfectly...Don't worry about scratching/damaging your paint. If you follow the instructions you can hand buff the final result to perfection.

Originally posted by DaveJP:
3M polish with 1200 grit small sanding pads...It works great. I've repaired a number of small chips and they are blended perfectly...

I find this is still the best method and haven't used Lanka since trying it out once.

Hey Telly - pop me a personal EMail!

To everyone else, thank you very much - this is great information. I'm probably going to tackle the problem next week and will let everyone know the results.

Thanks again!

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

Back