• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2022 F1 Thread...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the temple of speed!
Ferrari fastest at both of today’s practice sessions. We shall see.
Love to see the cars at Monza. Unfortunate that the course workers / race directors buggered the end. Had the race been red flagged while moving the Mac, I don’t think Ferrari had the speed to pass the Red Bull. But would have been more fun to see than 5 laps under the caution. I appreciate the nature of playing the cards as they are dealt; and hope the FIA takes a good look at late race cautions (and pit lane policy at the start of cautions) and comes out with a thought out plan.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love to see the cars at Monza. Unfortunate that the course workers / race directors buggered the end. Had the race been red flagged while moving the Mac, I don’t think Ferrari had the speed to pass the Red Bull. But would have been more fun to see than 5 laps under the caution. I appreciate the nature of playing the cards as they are dealt; and hope the FIA takes a good look at late race cautions (and pit lane policy at the start of cautions) and comes out with a thought out plan.
You are right and RB in Maxs hands is faster this year then others.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So monza ended the way AbuDabbi should have last year...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So monza ended the way AbuDabbi should have last year...
Under the current rules, yes. Subject to the whims of the race director, whether to call a red flag, restart the race, do a flying restart, or a a standing restart, etc.
Without the safety car, the finishing order is how it ended, just with all the cars 10-15 seconds apart.
Best case a red flag is thrown immediately, the cars pull to the pits, 10-20 mins later, all on fresh tires, the cars restart, and race 5 ish laps after a standing restart. Finishing order is the same, or perhaps some super exciting passes.
Or maybe go back to old school F1, leave the car on the side of the track, don’t even have a local yellow, and let the drivers deal with the car on the side.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^slight problem - not all cars had a fresh set of tyres (except hards).
They’ll never go back to leaving cars on track.
I watched the 1981 Italian GP just the other day - John Watson’s McLaren split in two after he span at the second Lesmo corner - leaving the engine, gearbox and rear suspension on the white line on the left, and the cockpit and front wheels on the white line on the right - Watson walked away, the wreckage was moved about 2 feet onto the grass, the race continued…
I counted 6 cars left on the side of the circuit - they only craned the cars that crashed/broke down on the corners…

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^slight problem - not all cars had a fresh set of tyres (except hards).
They’ll never go back to leaving cars on track.
I watched the 1981 Italian GP just the other day - John Watson’s McLaren split in two after he span at the second Lesmo corner - leaving the engine, gearbox and rear suspension on the white line on the left, and the cockpit and front wheels on the white line on the right - Watson walked away, the wreckage was moved about 2 feet onto the grass, the race continued…
I counted 6 cars left on the side of the circuit - they only craned the cars that crashed/broke down on the corners…
Tire availability is just one of the many conundrums of the late safety car / red flag.
I think about the days of wrecks on the opening lap, and teams scrambling to get the spare car ready for the restart; those were the days!

Cars on the side of the track is just so crazy to think about. Yet it wasn’t that long ago. Or even course workers rolling or lifting a car while only local yellow flags waving.