• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2022 F1 Thread...

At the temple of speed!
Ferrari fastest at both of today’s practice sessions. We shall see.
Love to see the cars at Monza. Unfortunate that the course workers / race directors buggered the end. Had the race been red flagged while moving the Mac, I don’t think Ferrari had the speed to pass the Red Bull. But would have been more fun to see than 5 laps under the caution. I appreciate the nature of playing the cards as they are dealt; and hope the FIA takes a good look at late race cautions (and pit lane policy at the start of cautions) and comes out with a thought out plan.

Love to see the cars at Monza. Unfortunate that the course workers / race directors buggered the end. Had the race been red flagged while moving the Mac, I don’t think Ferrari had the speed to pass the Red Bull. But would have been more fun to see than 5 laps under the caution. I appreciate the nature of playing the cards as they are dealt; and hope the FIA takes a good look at late race cautions (and pit lane policy at the start of cautions) and comes out with a thought out plan.
You are right and RB in Maxs hands is faster this year then others.

So monza ended the way AbuDabbi should have last year...

So monza ended the way AbuDabbi should have last year...
Under the current rules, yes. Subject to the whims of the race director, whether to call a red flag, restart the race, do a flying restart, or a a standing restart, etc.
Without the safety car, the finishing order is how it ended, just with all the cars 10-15 seconds apart.
Best case a red flag is thrown immediately, the cars pull to the pits, 10-20 mins later, all on fresh tires, the cars restart, and race 5 ish laps after a standing restart. Finishing order is the same, or perhaps some super exciting passes.
Or maybe go back to old school F1, leave the car on the side of the track, don’t even have a local yellow, and let the drivers deal with the car on the side.

^slight problem - not all cars had a fresh set of tyres (except hards).
They’ll never go back to leaving cars on track.
I watched the 1981 Italian GP just the other day - John Watson’s McLaren split in two after he span at the second Lesmo corner - leaving the engine, gearbox and rear suspension on the white line on the left, and the cockpit and front wheels on the white line on the right - Watson walked away, the wreckage was moved about 2 feet onto the grass, the race continued…
I counted 6 cars left on the side of the circuit - they only craned the cars that crashed/broke down on the corners…

^slight problem - not all cars had a fresh set of tyres (except hards).
They’ll never go back to leaving cars on track.
I watched the 1981 Italian GP just the other day - John Watson’s McLaren split in two after he span at the second Lesmo corner - leaving the engine, gearbox and rear suspension on the white line on the left, and the cockpit and front wheels on the white line on the right - Watson walked away, the wreckage was moved about 2 feet onto the grass, the race continued…
I counted 6 cars left on the side of the circuit - they only craned the cars that crashed/broke down on the corners…
Tire availability is just one of the many conundrums of the late safety car / red flag.
I think about the days of wrecks on the opening lap, and teams scrambling to get the spare car ready for the restart; those were the days!

Cars on the side of the track is just so crazy to think about. Yet it wasn’t that long ago. Or even course workers rolling or lifting a car while only local yellow flags waving.

and shweddy😓♨️🇸🇬

The cost cap breech by Red Bull if massive and if proven will mean that we can stop calling F1 a sport and refer to it as what it is - a large cap entertainment business.

Last edited:
The stock is an interesting and complex amalgam including a debt/arbitrage instrument...

thankfully Comcast is not...These guys are really amazing to pull off such qualy times in mixed conditions...slick roads/flood lights ect amazing..

It was a race that was almost exciting after every restart, but there wasn't that much racing even with all the yellows. Street circuits just don't do it for me with F1 cars.

I use f1tv.com and have really enjoyed the coverage and announcing the last few years.

The race was spoiled by the delay in switching DRS on after slick tyres had been adopted by most of the remaining drivers, and by the poor parking skills of those that had mechanical issues - I’m looking at you Alonso and Ocon.
Perez’s penalty should have been applied during the race - if it had been you can be sure that Leclerc wouldn’t have fallen behind by more than 5 seconds…
Good to see Danny Ric get some luck and have a good drive - first time this has happened this season. Lando had a solid drive, unlike George who was the tyre test dummy.
Sainz 3rd place was only due to his strong-arm tactic in the first corners - running Hamilton off course was his only hope
Max did some good overtakes, but not as many as expected, plus he made a few mistakes as well, but did enough to save the day.
The cost cap shenanigans will hopefully be made public this week… I’m expecting RBR and Aston Martin to be in a bit of trouble, as well as a couple of others.

Did maxipad really think his divebomb move would stick...nice to have a service road to pirouette. I was rooting for charles in charge to push checko into a mistake but he kept his skills , I think Charles was green misting.. knew it and just accepted 2nd.

These have to be the two weirdest WDCs in recent history. One steeped in drama and controversy, the other not celebrated or even talked about during the race (nobody calculated the points right), and many of us likely turned off the race shortly after the ending, I know I did at 3am, and had no idea that Max actually won until this afternoon. No celebration over the radio, no extra event after the race, just a footnote. Strange.

Max clearly the best out there - well done to him.
The initial start was scary - everyone on the wrong tyre for the conditions.
Sainz’s crash was fortunate to only affect him (& Gasly) - it could have easily taken out Hamilton and others…
Not much else to say except that one welcome difference about this race was the lack of headache-inducing music being blasted at the fans - a refreshing change!

These have to be the two weirdest WDCs in recent history. One steeped in drama and controversy, the other not celebrated or even talked about during the race (nobody calculated the points right), and many of us likely turned off the race shortly after the ending, I know I did at 3am, and had no idea that Max actually won until this afternoon. No celebration over the radio, no extra event after the race, just a footnote. Strange.
The confusion was the chicane miss by clercy and his 5 sec penalty that saw RB 1-2 and the fact that the race went just enough for more points..Hammo is a more dynamic character in front of camera and mic...Maxi does his talking in the cockpit and on track..otherwise he is a bad interview..

If I was writing a movie script, I would at the end give hammo 21 WC as punishment to RB since Maxi is already WC in 22...everyone wins...except the blowhards running the teams..

Back