• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The original NSX still shines

At the Formula SAE at Michigan International Speedway, (University kids building race cars and racing against other universities) Honda had a NC1 at their booth to draw interest. I offered to park my '95 next to it. I must admit that colour on the NC1 is amazing.
PXL_20220617_180946187-min (1).jpg
They might have regretted having me park there as the NA1, even covered with dust from a 4 hour drive, drew in engineering students like flies, ignoring the NC1. Everyone one wanted a photo with it. I've never seen such interest in my NSX before. I was surprised how many of the kids had never seen an NA1, except "in Grand Tourismo".

Attachments

• PXL_20220617_180946187-min.jpg
    PXL_20220617_180946187-min.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
At the Formula SAE at Michigan International Speedway, (University kids building race cars and racing against other universities) Honda had a NC1 at their booth to draw interest. I offered to park my '95 next to it. I must admit that colour on the NC1 is amazing.
View attachment 173623
They might have regretted having me park there as the NA1, even covered with dust from a 4 hour drive, drew in engineering students like flies. Everyone one wanted a photo with it. I've never seen such interest in my NSX before. I was surprised how many of the kids had never seen an NA1, except "in Grand Tourismo".

So cool. The first gens are seeing a major resurgence in interest. They are such a big piece of automotive history when you think about it.

As a Mech Eng myself, I've always loved the engineering behind these cars. I mean, just look at all those suspension parts with their awesome, weight saving design and beautiful finishing. To me, this attention to detail behind every component is what makes our cars stand out. Sure, there are other cars from the era (Supra, 300ZX etc) which were great to look at. But the NSX stands alone as the prime example of a car built by engineers with very few compromises.

I've seen and worked on my fair share of fancy cars, but I have not seen one that was built like the NSX ! The older I get, the more I appreciate my car. It was my dream car when I was in school and I still love it.

tt -

You drove right by our home twice! Wish I'd have known you were driving down here to M.I.S. Might have joined you there in an NSX.

Wifey has been in charge of flagging (and somewhat tech inspections, SCCA Detroit Region) for several years now for this event. She really enjoys it.

I can speak to the resurgence in interest in the old NSX. I own a manual CTS-V wagon and S2000, and the NSX always gets the most attention when it’s out. That attention comes from both folks my age, and from the youngsters who know the car from video games. It brings people together for certain.

The original NSX represents the height of Japanese automotive development. In 1987 GM’s executive vice president of global product development Mark Reuss was a young powertrain engineer at GM. GM bought one of the first NSXs to reach the U.S. to study the car’s engineering, from its unique powertrain and packaging to its all-aluminum construction. He remembered the impression the Honda NSX made back then: “That car blew us away!” Ruess said. “Even the hinges on that car were special,” Ruess said. “We learned a lot from it.” Some of those design and engineering lessons showed up in the C5 Corvette in 1997. That contemporary eminence of the NSX's engineering is a big part of why its still revered and relevant today.
IMG_1759.jpg

Back