• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Third brake light removal, anyone get a ticket?

Just curious if anyone that removed the stock spoiler and added a big wing got in trouble for removing the third brake light. I'm sure that my lawyer wouldn't be happy about it in the event of an accident, but is it illegal?

Wow, I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for removing their 3rd. brake light.

I'm going to guess it doesn't matter?? As long as when you step on your brakes the brake lamps light up.

I don't have a 3rd. brake lamp on my car because of the new spoiler and I haven't been pulled over for it.

I'm also guessing that most cops wouldn't even know that there was a 3rd. brake lamp there unless they know the NSX.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

This may be a good time to bring up the fact that I've been stopped over 5 times in the past 3 months, and not one single time have I gotten a ticket. Here's why. Its so easy to change the topic of conversation from whatever the cop stopped you for, to YOUR NSX. They are totally amazed by that car. I think i'm an expert on changing the subject. Anyone else have this same luck?

------------------
1992 NSX

"My wife is fifty-three and pregnant, my son steals, my daughter married an fink. My dog bit a lawyer's kid and the IRS wants to take the fillings out of my teeth. The air I breath is polluted, the water I drink is filthy, and now you are telling me that I'm going to be in big trouble because I was six miles-an-hour over the speed limit?"

Originally posted by MAJOR STONER:
Just curious if anyone that removed the stock spoiler and added a big wing got in trouble for removing the third brake light. ... is it illegal?
I don't believe its illegal, so long as the primary stop lamps (in the taillamps) are still working.

They MAY bust you for having an obstructed rear view... my experience with some wings (even some OEM) is that they block out the police lightbar if one is behind you... by the time you realize this it may be too late
frown.gif

PS - I have a slightly-taller wing, and it has a smaller CHMSL on it.

------------------
Manuel C
www.geocities.com/mcantoria/mc-toys.html

sig-front-top-100h.jpg
sig-left-front-100h.jpg
sig-rear-100h.jpg

Of course, this does point out the fact that the stock center brake lamp is a great safety feature; it's very visible, and the LED's illuminate quicker than the conventional taillight bulbs.

Not to mention how cool it was following 20+ NSXes down an exit ramp on the way back from RealTime Racing, seeing all those brakes lights lit up.... That's a memory that will last a while.

As for legality, I would see if your state has a website where you can access laws on-line, and find the sections about motor vehicles, and then find the ones talking about lights, and read them. I'd have to check again to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that in Washington there's nothing against it. Heck, according to the law in Washington, you can have amber brake lights if you want. =)

-Mike

Originally posted by nsx1164:
They MAY bust you for having an obstructed rear view... my experience with some wings (even some OEM) is that they block out the police lightbar if one is behind you... by the time you realize this it may be too late

I don't know about the laws in Illinois but in Michigan I don think there is an "obstrcted rear view" law. Many commercial vans don't even have rear windows and the window tinting laws say anything is permissable on the rear window - even black paint!

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Back