• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thoughts on this car?

Anyone know anything about this car? I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere. It’s really close to what I’m looking for, but I think the owner is asking a bit much. It sold on BaT for $67,777 on 10/13/2020. He’s got it listed on Autotrader (where I found it), and Built for Backroads for $89k. There’s a closed eBay listing too. Looks like he’s trying to flip it for another $22k to me. VIN# is: JH4NA21612T000168.

Issues I’ve found: mileage discrepancy in titling (previous owners took it to Canada though, then brought it back to US), crappy stereo install (along with destruction of OEM dash trim), looks like it’s been lowered a bit. Without seeing it in person, that’s about all I can see.

Just thought I’d see if anyone on Prime knew more about where it’s been. Here’s one of the listings.

https://www.builtforbackroads.com/listing/2002-acura-nsx-t

Last edited:
I’m not sure it’s a business. If it is, it’s a small one, or sole proprietor. The reason I think it hasn’t sold is the title/mileage discrepancy. No bank will issue a loan for it with that problem. I’m wondering how easy that would be to rectify. In any case, it’s got a few small things to fix, and it’s a bit worn for that price. My guess is he bought it quickly for cheap on BaT without really knowing what he was getting. He saw a quick easy flip for $22k 8 months ago. Now, he’s regretting it.

I’d be willing to take it off his hands, and fix it’s problems, but not for what he’s asking. Just curious how much less I could get it for. Given what he paid in 10/2020, and the cost of what I’d have to fix, anything over $70k is ridiculous I think.

Just an observation...but that seat looks really worn for only 69k miles. Otherwise is it looks clean.

Seat wear looks normal if wearing jeans. The mileage discrepancy (1km=0.621371mi) may be due to Canada recording it as km, and then when the car came back to the USofA it was recorded back to miles.

Have you run a CarFax Canada on the vehicle? CarFax Canada (the old CarProof) will record the date of import to Canada and should record the date of import back to the US. Unfortunately it may not record the mileage on those dates; but, the separation in the dates may give you a clue as to the mystery odometer readings. If any maintenance was done on the vehicle by dealers or larger service providers the mileage should be recorded in CarFax. Maintenance records typically get reported in km in Canada. When the tech records the odometer reading, if they know it is a US vehicle they may make a miles notation on the paper record; but, that usually gets lost and its assumed to be km since the electronic records systems in Canada typically have no provision for miles notations (what the hell is a mile??). If there are any maintenance records you may be able to suss out the discrepancy with a little km to miles arithmetic.

As an observation, I would never consider the purchase of a higher value used vehicle without making the tiny investment in a Carfax report.

I’m not sure it’s a business. If it is, it’s a small one, or sole proprietor. The reason I think it hasn’t sold is the title/mileage discrepancy. No bank will issue a loan for it with that problem. I’m wondering how easy that would be to rectify. In any case, it’s got a few small things to fix, and it’s a bit worn for that price. My guess is he bought it quickly for cheap on BaT without really knowing what he was getting. He saw a quick easy flip for $22k 8 months ago. Now, he’s regretting it.

I’d be willing to take it off his hands, and fix it’s problems, but not for what he’s asking. Just curious how much less I could get it for. Given what he paid in 10/2020, and the cost of what I’d have to fix, anything over $70k is ridiculous I think.

That VIN doesn't seem to have a history on Prime, but I think you are spot-on with your price, considering this car's unknown history. Pics aren't working for me on the sale website, but if you are buying the car with no records, plan on investing about $10k addressing all of the things. Also, if you are serious about the car, I recommend spending the $ on a plane ticket to look at it in person and then some more $ to have a competent collision shop measure the unibody to make sure there is no frame damage. At this point in 2021, I assume almost all NSXs have been hit at some point in their lives. The question now for each car is how badly. Assuming the frame is straight and the engine passes a compression and leakdown test, I think you are right on the money at $70k for this one. It would be nice to see it saved. The current flipper is dreaming at his listing price.

There is also some non-factory wiring on top of the fuse box inside the engine bay.
Maybe it's in aftermarket alarm system? Either way, the wiring does not look very good.

Perhaps you are right about the flipping...but, double check to see if the title transfer actually happened. I have heard where sometimes the bid status is sold, but something went wrong with the transaction between the seller and buyer. Maybe the buyer found out about something and didn't follow through. Whatever the chase, I am not sure if BaT is obligated to mention this after the bidding is closed.

Anyways, you're doing the right thing by investigating.
Good luck with the study and buying your nsx, whether this one or another.

My area of concern is the left rear corner, gap between panel and bumper is unusual and the bumper does not have its natural shape.

Left rear bumper is definitely a tale sign. Look at the right bumper and notice how nice the seam is to the back quarter panel. Without looking further, it appears the left rear was hit and repaired. Reattaching the bumper can be a real bugger for proper alignment. That gap and deformation would drive me crazy!

And I agree about the driver's seat condition. Possibly just a big dude that owned the car and trashed the seat while entering and existing. Sad. :(

Otherwise - a pretty car and could be daily driver I guess. Priced a bit too high....

I tried talking to the owner. Some guy name Miguel. He was not very helpful at all and basically gave me a ‘the car is available do you want it or not’ attitude. He wouldn’t answer any of my questions regarding the car. I would move on.

I tried talking to the owner. Some guy name Miguel. He was not very helpful at all and basically gave me a ‘the car is available do you want it or not’ attitude. He wouldn’t answer any of my questions regarding the car. I would move on.
With that kind of attitude, the car probably suffered too!

Back