• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Time for an upgrade!

So I’ve had my NSX for 18 years now. When I first got it, I updated the stereo by adding an audison srx5 amp, a shallow mount sub in the passenger footwell and an iPod adapter. I think it’s time for an upgrade! I’ve been talking with Rick at EuroBotique about a custom console. I want to incorporate a navpod from Science of Speed for navigation and a backup camera. I am looking for recommendations on a navigation system separate from the stereo that has the proper rca inputs for the SOS screen. I would also like to get some input on how the navigation commands will interact with the stereo audio. The alternative is finding a stereo system that allows for separate output of the video signal to thenSOS navpod.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Stay safe!

Nate in DC

congrats on 18 years!......says the guy with his original 96 radio that doesn't work...but my giant oem antennae does!!!

So I’ve had my NSX for 18 years now. When I first got it, I updated the stereo by adding an audison srx5 amp, a shallow mount sub in the passenger footwell and an iPod adapter. I think it’s time for an upgrade! I’ve been talking with Rick at EuroBotique about a custom console. I want to incorporate a navpod from Science of Speed for navigation and a backup camera. I am looking for recommendations on a navigation system separate from the stereo that has the proper rca inputs for the SOS screen. I would also like to get some input on how the navigation commands will interact with the stereo audio. The alternative is finding a stereo system that allows for separate output of the video signal to thenSOS navpod.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Stay safe!

Nate in DC

Have you considered a standalone android unit?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/209495-DIY-7-quot-Android-Navpod-Install

I am considering a stand alone navigation system. Has anyone tried the Garmin Drivesmart 55 or 65 in the SOS navpod?

So the madness begins! I opted to forgo the navpod and just use the double din stereo for the navigation. Rick from EuroBoutique provided the carbon fiber center console. It looks like it’s doing to work out well! I will have to run cables for the rear backup camera and XM. I previously installed an Audison SRX5 amp but maintained the original speaker wires. I will probably change them out this time.

Last edited:
So the madness begins! I opted to forgo the navpod and just use the double din stereo for the navigation. Rick from EuroBoutique provided the carbon fiber center console. It looks like it’s doing to work out well! I will have to run cables for the rear backup camera and XM. I previously installed an Audison SRX5 amp but maintained the original speaker wires. I will probably change them out this time.

0A20E7F6-B489-4141-AB87-901E5C0EB10F.jpg

It’s an Alpine ILX W650. I am using the SOS bracket. I’ll probably start the wiring this weekend.

Last edited:
Will that unit show the navigation from your phone on the screen if it's linked via blutooth or usb cable?

Your current upgrades

Congrats! My wife just received her father's 16 year old NSX and it has upgraded sound. I'm just not sure what it is and was wondering if you could show/share the details on the shallow sub/amp/ipod adapter. Ours also had the OEM Bose door sets replaced and had tweeters added to each door. The iPod adapter has a mini headphone jack and a switch then you set it to an FM station. Thanks.

Well, time got the best of me and I’m just really starting the install. I decided to redo my entire system. I originally had the stock radio connected to an Audison SRX5 amplifier. I also had the SOS iPod adapter. All of that is coming out. I am sticking with the Alpine ILX W650 amp that I purchased last May. The Audison is coming out and I am replacing it with a JL Audio XD500/3V2 amp. It comes as a 3 channel amp with 75w to the door speakers and 200w to the sub. It is much smaller than the Audison and will fit better behind the seat. I still have the Earthquake SWS sub mounted in a custom box in the passenger footwell.

I am adding XM, a rear back up camera and a microphone for the phone. I have also purchased a shortly antenna, but don’t know if I will install it right away. I hear too many folks talk about bad reception.

I originally purchased a new carbon fiber center console from Rick at Euro Boutique. I have since ordered the carbon fiber clock bezel and power window trims from Rick as well.

So far, I have removed the old system and seats to prepare for the new install. While I have the seats out, I’m giving everything a good cleaning. It’s hard to keep an ivory interior clean!

My 11 year old son is helping me out! :biggrin:

More to come...

Attachments

• A3A876BF-E591-47F9-9735-A749ADD85618.jpg
    A3A876BF-E591-47F9-9735-A749ADD85618.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 187
  • D9BA3C5A-9B17-445F-8912-3DFAE35540BA.jpg
    D9BA3C5A-9B17-445F-8912-3DFAE35540BA.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 2B297CE4-BD1C-4AAB-971E-38760444F26D.jpg
    2B297CE4-BD1C-4AAB-971E-38760444F26D.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 20677088-5BA2-4D66-A7A3-B5A8A4EEAD51.jpg
    20677088-5BA2-4D66-A7A3-B5A8A4EEAD51.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Great Father-son project:smile:

He is really enjoying it because he knows that this car will be his one day!

Progress is slow but steady. My son and I ran the wires to the rear back up camera and started running the amp power wire today. Previously, I had a 8 gauge wire attached to the large bus on the fuse box in the rear engine compartment. Now I am running a 4 gauge wire directly to the battery. It helps to have small hands to assist!

Also, while running the back up camera, I noticed a brown connector on the left side of the trunk compartment near the rear glass. It is not connected to anything. Does anyone know what it is for? I think the black circular one is for the cd changer which is no longer being used. Is that correct?

Attachments

• 8C6C8378-D0CE-41FE-9BC2-B587867FFCC9.jpg
    8C6C8378-D0CE-41FE-9BC2-B587867FFCC9.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 134
  • FB2E5DB2-7BAB-489B-B151-8FAF59EA2B54.jpg
    FB2E5DB2-7BAB-489B-B151-8FAF59EA2B54.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Progress is slow but steady. My son and I ran the wires to the rear back up camera and started running the amp power wire today. Previously, I had a 8 gauge wire attached to the large bus on the fuse box in the rear engine compartment. Now I am running a 4 gauge wire directly to the battery. It helps to have small hands to assist!

Also, while running the back up camera, I noticed a brown connector on the left side of the trunk compartment near the rear glass. It is not connected to anything. Does anyone know what it is for? I think the black circular one is for the cd changer which is no longer being used. Is that correct?

the brown connector powers the cell phone if i remember correctly. you'll need to install the fuse up front for it to work. the connector there is the cell phone connector. the bluish cable is the cd changer cable.

Congrats! My wife just received her father's 16 year old NSX and it has upgraded sound. I'm just not sure what it is and was wondering if you could show/share the details on the shallow sub/amp/ipod adapter. Ours also had the OEM Bose door sets replaced and had tweeters added to each door. The iPod adapter has a mini headphone jack and a switch then you set it to an FM station. Thanks.

Originally I just added an amplifier, sub and new speakers. I kept the original head unit. I used an adapter from Science of Speed. The adapter allows to connect the amplifier without cutting the original wiring harness. It is this one here:
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...eed-proformance-harness-adapters-for-nsx.html

I replaced the factory sub with a shallow mount sub that works well in small enclosures. I used a sub similar to this one:

http://www.earthquakesound.com/index.php/en/component/zoo/item/sws10

Audison also makes a nice one:

https://us.audison.eu/products/aps-10-d/

I purchased he sub enclosure from a Prime member. I think it was made by another member who manufactured and sold them. I think his name was Zetoolman. However my enclosure was modified by cutting a section out to make it thinner in order to not lose as much legroom. After modifying it, I sprayed it with truck bed liner. The enclosure is made out of fiberglass. I added a photo of my sub.

For the iPod, I purchased an adapter that was once sold on Prime also. It included an interface that allowed you to use the standard iPod plug rather than a headphone jack. I think it interfaced with the cd plug and allowed you to hit a combination of buttons on the stereo to activate it. You may be able to do a search to find out more. Let me know if you want my old one if I can find it.

Sorry for the late reply! Things have been hectic due to COVID-19 and I was away from Prime and my project for a while.

All the best!

Nate

0DC16B77-D735-433E-A96E-67D843AAE76D.jpgB5C4C6D0-4724-4370-A24F-43DCEBFA00B3.jpg

Back