• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire Choice for Canadian Climate

I'm in the market for a new set of tires. Handling/Braking are the most important features for me, followed by Rolling Resistance, Tread Life then Noise. I will be running 215/40/17 and 255/35/18 (could go to 235/265 if nec) and am considering the following:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s (235/265)
Pirelli PZeros (235/265)
Falken 452 (215/255)

I was all set to go with the PS2s given their reputation and rating, but have been told that Michelin's are not all that grippy in colder climates (Vancouver BC Canada - 3 hrs North of Seattle). I'm thinking of trying the Falkens as they are about 1/2 the price of the Michelins and I'm told offer similar performance.

I need grip for high-speed canyon carving during the Spring/Summer/Autumn months. Great roads here in BC, but unforgiving.

Any thoughts?

First, stick with 215/40-17 in front. 235 is too big and will rub - which may be okay for track tires, not for street tires.

I recommend the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, which is available in the sizes you need (215/40-17 front, 255/35-18 or 265/35-18 rear). It's better than the Pirelli and Falken you mentioned. (The PS2 isn't available in a good front size for the NSX.) The Goodyear beat the Michelin and Pirelli in performance in the Car and Driver test; it's one of the very best tires out there (blending excellent dry traction, excellent wet traction, and relatively good treadlife) and is very popular among NSXers.

If you want maximum grip on dry pavement (even better than the excellent Goodyear), and you don't mind rapid treadwear and so-so traction in rain, you might consider the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, which is available in 215/40-17 and either 255/35-18 or 265/35-18, or the Falken Azenis RT-615, which is available in 215/40-17 and 265/35-18. The Z1 is slightly better than the RT-615.

Whoever told you that the Falken FK-452 offers the same performance as the PS2 doesn't know squat about tires. The Falken FK-452 is a budget tire and it is a significant step down in performance from these other top-of-the-line tires.

All of these tires are summer tires which should be fine for driving at temperatures above freezing (which assumes you're not going to be driving on snow up in the mountains on them).

Last edited:
Im quite happy with my Goodyear GS-D3's 225/285. Seem to be a great all around tire; they were not expensive, either. Id get those in the sizes that you want.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have just removed a set of 235s from the front and I wasn't aware of any rubbing - had them on for 25,000 kms. They were Dunlop SP9000s.

The Falken advice came from a tire store guy who admitted to having a direct line to Falken (hence the good prices). I was a bit suspicious though.

I appreciate the link to the comparo - I actually had that magazine but gave it away a while back.

Based on the article, I think I'll go for the Goodyears. I also like the fact that the sizes are correct. Too big just slows you down.

Good advice.

First, stick with 215/40-17 in front. 235 is too big and will rub - which may be okay for track tires, not for street tires.

I recommend the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, which is available in the sizes you need (215/40-17 front, 255/35-18 or 265/35-18 rear). It's better than the Pirelli and Falken you mentioned. (The PS2 isn't available in a good front size for the NSX.) The Goodyear beat the Michelin and Pirelli in performance in the Car and Driver test; it's one of the very best tires out there (blending excellent dry traction, excellent wet traction, and relatively good treadlife) and is very popular among NSXers.

If you want maximum grip on dry pavement (even better than the excellent Goodyear), and you don't mind rapid treadwear and so-so traction in rain, you might consider the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, which is available in 215/40-17 and either 255/35-18 or 265/35-18, or the Falken Azenis RT-615, which is available in 215/40-17 and 265/35-18. The Z1 is slightly better than the RT-615.

Whoever told you that the Falken FK-452 offers the same performance as the PS2 doesn't know squat about tires. The Falken FK-452 is a budget tire and it is a significant step down in performance from these other top-of-the-line tires.

All of these tires are summer tires which should be fine for driving at temperatures above freezing (which assumes you're not going to be driving on snow up in the mountains on them).

maybe for way less money and possibly better handling (IMO) you could try hankook rs-2 z212s ? I have them myself on two cars and have sold them to quite a few people who love them (local nsx guys')
They are over $200 cheaper and IN MY OPINION , better than the goodyears for handling , i can sell them to you in canada for the same price you see on tire rack , for that matter even if you want goodyears , I can help you out. If you want to come by, I'll take you on a test drive on the hankooks, you'll buy them then...

Last edited:
Back