• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire Choice/Size (street tire for track)

R13

Experienced Member
Tech Expert
I'm a masochist, I run street tires in TT.

Having said that, I've run into a problem:

• TT Season starts Feb 9 for NASA SE
  • Star Specs (that's I've run for years) are out of stock in the "good" sizes everywhere I've looked (either 215/40/17, 235/40/17, 255/35/18, 265/35/18 or a combination)
  • The ZII Won't be available in at least the rear sizes here until March
  • The Yokohama AD08 is $$$$
  • Ditto the RE11 (what, I'm on a budget here....)
  • No, I won't just run race tires because $$$$$$$$$ for more wheels AND tires

So, first question:
I can get Toyo R1Rs locally, and relatively cheap, but I'm a little concerned they'd go all to pieces on a race track. Anyone have experience with them on a track?
Are there any other alternatives available in appropriate sizes that I'm not thinking of here?

Second Question: Has anyone run a 235/40/17 up front with stock fenders/liners on a ~+37 offset wheel? I'd like to get an idea of the extent of rubbing/not I can expect.

I test fit a 245/40/17 (on a 17x9 wheel), and it actually got much closer to fitting than I expected, all things considered.

On the inside, It would end up hitting my brake "ducts" (STMPO scoops) at full lock, and would rub on the front and rear of the fender liner both directions, but there was no interference (at least not just sitting there) with the inner fender well.

am I missing some factor here?

DSC_0203_zpsd1721d9b.jpg

DSC_0200_zps0229ae80.jpg

Here's where it was rubbing:
DSC_0209_zps4cb3d357.jpg

That was at full-lock:
DSC_0211_zps71374c3b.jpg

The other direction:
DSC_0217_zps55c89268.jpg

Has anyone trimmed off those louvers for tire clearance?

Pardon the long-winded thread. I just didn't find anything with a search on the R1R with track use in mind, and all of the "will it fit" threads are kinda vague, or borderline ridiculous.

Another option is the Hankook RS-3. Virtually everyone at my local track days have switched to them. They use to run Star Specs, NT-01, RE-11 & AD08s (for the rich guys) but many have switched to the RS-3s. I haven't had a chance to check if they have NSX friendly 17/17 or 17/18 sizes though.

I've talked to some folks in the mean time.

The Nitto NT05 has come up as a viable alternative and comes in the right 235 front size.

The RS-3 can be had in a 215/45-17 which should also technically fit, but otherwise, they don't have very friendly sizes.

I've been advised, in no uncertain terms, that the R1R does not "track" well (heat issues).

I'm eyeballing the "complete order" button on discount tire for a set of NT05s at the moment.

Back