• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire Direction (91-93)

Lee

Registered Member
Ok, this may be obvious, but the instructions on the side of the stock Yoko sidewalls indicate which side is to be facing "outward" and which side is to be facing "inwards". However, there is what appears to be an arrow (which is typical of most directional tires) that contradicts that. On my car, one of the tires has the arrow going the correct direction but the "inwards" sidewall facing out.. Anyone with any input on the stock directionals? Is this an arrow that is on the tire sidewall or no?

There is only one way that each tire is supposed to be mounted. The arrow indicates the direction that the tire rotates when the car is moving forward. I just checked one of my Yokohama A022H OEM tires and this arrow appears on BOTH sides of the tire. On one side, which should be the side that you see when the tire is mounted on the car, the arrow is labeled "SIDE FACING OUTWARDS" and on the other side, the arrow is labeled "SIDE FACING INWARDS".

Does this answer your question?

Since they come in 'right' and 'left' tires... might it be that you have a tire on the wrong side of the car? That would explain the "outward" being correct, but the arrow direction being wrong. The tread pattern would also be incorrect.

------------------
nsx1
2000 Yellow/Black/6-sp #172 - stock
http://www.nsx1.com

NSX1, that is the bigger question. I suspected this might be the case (that I just have 2 right side tires on the rear). But if so I am sure that they indicate that somewhere else maybe in the part#, something that distiguishes the two tires apart. It seems that under a unique circumstance like this they would have to or else how do you order rights vs lefts. Something like A022R, A022L would help?

You DO have to order a "right side" tire or a "left side" tire. That's how they're identified on the Tire Rack's website, for example.

They say "side facing outwards" and "side facing inwards." They also have directional arrows on both sides. That's all you need.

Thanks Guys that just answered my question. I was looking in my R&T at tire rack and they had no mention but the website does, forgot to check that! So this is just great, I have 2 right side rear tires. They were on the car when I bought it but I was not aware that something was wrong until noticed that reversing it to align with the arrow would not fix the problem. So since I will have to live with it what is the lesser of the 2 evils: Follow the arrow or follow the text (inwards/outwards)? Currently it follows the arrow.

Lee, I don't race my NSX, so if it were me, I would prefer the tread pattern be correct (i.e. better water channeling). Just off the top of my head, I'm not sure that tire scuffing would be correct even if you reversed it in an attempt to get the cord right. There is still another solution... but it costs around $225 per rear tire
smile.gif

------------------
nsx1
2000 Yellow/Black/6-sp #172 - stock
http://www.nsx1.com

There is still another solution... but it costs around $225 per rear tire

Well, you COULD buy two left rear tires and mount one... then, when you wear out the rear tires that are on the car (which shouldn't take all that long
smile.gif
), you'll have another left-right set waiting to take their place.

What size is the tires? 16 or 17?
I have one side (need to verify if it's left or right) about a month old (about 300 miles). And in very good condition. I run the other one flat and trashed them. Since then I decided to use another brand. I'll sell them to u cheap, if it's indeed the tire u need.

245/40/17 Yokohama A022 (need to find out for sure which side).

Email me if, u're interested, and I'll check the sides.

Inward/Outward Problems?

I have my new tires put in at Wheel Works in San Jose, and they installed the rear tires incorrectly. My new Yokohama A022 shows "THIS SIDE INWARD" on the outside. Will this cause any problems for the car? Is it dangerous to drive over the long term? Should I have it corrected? I've asked a friend of mine that works at a tire shop and he said as long as the directional arrow is going the right way, the inward and outside doesn't matter, is that true? Thanks!

The tires have an R and an L stamped on them. Buy another pair of L or Rs so you can have a matched set. You don't want to drive without the proper tires as it defeats the purpose of putting expensive tires on the car.

ss5153 said:
Will this cause any problems for the car?
It won't handle as well.

ss5153 said:
Is it dangerous to drive over the long term?
That depends on how you drive.

ss5153 said:
Should I have it corrected?
Yes, absolutely. And they should do it at no charge.

ss5153 said:
I've asked a friend of mine that works at a tire shop and he said as long as the directional arrow is going the right way, the inward and outside doesn't matter, is that true?
No. He is probably not familiar with the NSX. Most other cars use tires that are either directional (with an arrow) or asymmetrical (with a side that faces outwards), but not both. The NSX has tires that were designed for specific corners of the NSX. You can buy a right rear tire, and a left rear tire. They are not the same. You have the left rear tire mounted on the right, and the right rear tire mounted on the left. They need to be taken off the wheels and remounted and balanced (so that the proper side faces outward) and then placed on the proper sides of the car.

If you are interested in learning more about how the OEM NSX tires were designed, check out the NSX FAQ section on Tire Tech, under the Tires & Wheels heading.

Tony Montoya said:
The tires have an R and an L stamped on them. Buy another pair of L or Rs so you can have a matched set.
He already has a matched set; they're just mounted improperly, with the wrong side facing outwards (and with the left rear tire on the right side of the car, and the right tire on the left). If the tires are re-mounted on the wheels, they can be used where Yokohama, Honda, and G-d intended.

Thanks nsxtasy!

Thanks nsxtasy! I just made an appointment to have the problem corrected. ;)

Back