• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire question regarding TRACK time

So, I have a set of General Exclaim tires on a set of wheels that I purchased used. The tires have decent thread and was planning on using them for a future track day. Anyone have experience with these tires on the track? I just keep on hearing bad things from people about General Exclaim tires, so I wanted to get some feedback. One thing to keep in mind that as a track novice, perhaps it doesn't really matter as I won't be "pushing" it per se. Thank you,

One thing to keep in mind that as a track novice, perhaps it doesn't really matter as I won't be "pushing" it per se

You answered your own question.

Have fun!

Age, tire pressure, track and ambient temp all will affect tire adhesion. Take a few laps and get comfortable with their performance, then increase your speed to match their level of traction. I have run on marginal tires and have had fun - it just slows you down a bit :eek:.

^^ I totally agree. I could have lots of fun with even the most mediocre tires. I wouldn't worry about it too much just make sure they're safe since, depending on the track, you could be hitting 100+ mph.

It's when you're trying to beat the time from the guy next to you then you're looking for NT-01s right quick!

All good advice!
Things to be aware of:
1) These tires are Ultra High Performance, meaning they won't have the best traction. Start slow and work your way up.
2) Since they are street tires, they probably won't hold up well to excessive heat. They'll probably chunk up and start breaking apart when they get really hot. (only really a concern with really hot track temps, tight corners, and long 25+ min sessions)
3) These are great tires to learn on, IMO as they brake loose earlier (at lower limits and slower speeds). As long as you know that they brake loose earlier and not overdrive the car it should be fun.
4) As a novice track driver for the NSX, watchout for snap oversteer, lift-off oversteer, and (with these tires) power-on oversteer.

One thing for sure after your first track day is you're going to want to upgrade everything anyway. So it's best to just start with the cheaper stuff anyway!

You'll have a blast.

check your hot tire pressures during the day,try to keep the hot pressure under 45psi shoot for 40 max.

Run a good DOT 4 Brake fluid.
I use ATE Super Blue (or the amber colored ATE Typ 200) because it's relatively cheap (compared to Motul) and still has a high boiling temp.

Some people do oil changes before and/or afterwards, but that's personal preference. Otherwise, just make sure the other fluids are in good condition and topped off (but not overfilled).

Thanks all for the advise. Any other recommendations such as changing fluids, etc? Thanks,

Yeah, brake fluid is all you need to worry about.

ATE Super Blue or Motul 600f. It's really the only thing that I suggest as a must do to anybody to complete prior to tracking their car.

Don't forget to check your brake pads before you go. You'll want to physically remove them to check, since the inside pads wear faster than the outside ones. If you're running OEM pads it wouldn't be a bad idea to either swap them out before you go, or bring an extra set of something decent like Hawk HPS with you. There are plenty of other options in this price/friction range from Porterfield, Carbotech, etc too.

you seem to be a street/show guy mostly and care about the cars appearence from your many pictures on prime,regardless how "easy" you think you will be at the track it never ends up that way, so your wheels will get coated in brake dust as will your nifty calipers,you may get some paint chips/tire rubber marks ect....be mentaly prepared for that.

you seem to be a street/show guy mostly and care about the cars appearence from your many pictures on prime,regardless how "easy" you think you will be at the track it never ends up that way, so your wheels will get coated in brake dust as will your nifty calipers,you may get some paint chips/tire rubber marks ect....be mentaly prepared for that.

Yep, I'm prepared... in fact, I've already mentioned to a few of the guys via PM on this thread I'm ready to re-do my calipers. ;)

great..have fun! You could get addicted:wink:

You're going to have a lot of fun. But you have got to either get harnesses or put your OEM seats back in. Be safe.

You're going to have a lot of fun. But you have got to either get harnesses or put your OEM seats back in. Be safe.

With no airbag, the only real safe thing would be a harness. But then we're back to the harness and no cage thing. OEM seatbelts are designed to hold the torso and let the head go forward into the airbag. Or in this case - smack the steering wheel. :cool:

Other than no airbag, why do you think that the OEM seat belts won't work with Recarros? Both the type R and S are basically custom Recarros and come with OEM seatbelts.

With no airbag, the only real safe thing would be a harness. But then we're back to the harness and no cage thing. OEM seatbelts are designed to hold the torso and let the head go forward into the airbag. Or in this case - smack the steering wheel. :cool:

Other than no airbag, why do you think that the OEM seat belts won't work with Recarros? Both the type R and S are basically custom Recarros and come with OEM seatbelts.

They don't come with pole positions. Pole positions and various other seats do not have proper accommodations for 3 point belts, the type R seats do. I forgot he also has no airbag. Better be careful.

They don't come with pole positions. Pole positions and various other seats do not have proper accommodations for 3 point belts, the type R seats do. I forgot he also has no airbag. Better be careful.

The buckle mechanism doens't go into the hole, but stays in the same OEM position. I am still able to buckle-up.

Would there be a safety concern with harnesses and no HANS device?

I've heard people talking on the track about how a harness doesn't allow your torso to move forward, thereby transferring all forward motion to your neck and head. If you don't have a HANS type device, you run the risk of neck & spinal injuries... or is that all BS?

Would there be a safety concern with harnesses and no HANS device?

I've heard people talking on the track about how a harness doesn't allow your torso to move forward, thereby transferring all forward motion to your neck and head. If you don't have a HANS type device, you run the risk of neck & spinal injuries... or is that all BS?

True. But the new Simpson Hybrid Device is better than a Hans. The Hybrid also works with oem seat belt.

sent from my crappy cell phone.

I find that a hot 38psi is the best for me.
Lance

me too with ra1 but I was guessing with his awsome tire choice:wink:

I find that a hot 38psi is the best for me.
Lance

me too with ra1 but I was guessing with his awsome tire choice:wink:

38psi all the way around (front & rear)? You guys don't stagger the pressures like the OEM recommendations?

I may have to try this but fear it may cause more oversteer..

38psi all the way around (front & rear)? You guys don't stagger the pressures like the OEM recommendations?

I may have to try this but fear it may cause more oversteer..

Same here. Dunlop Z1 and NT01 I run 38/38 at the track. On the street, I run 35/38 for wear (I'm running 2 deg camber in the front and the higher pressure seems to help slow the inside wear).

sent from my crappy cell phone.

exactly.....If a tire grips best at a certain pressure/ temp it does'nt matter were it is located,no stagger for me.Street i do what the capt does....hey I gotta a little capt in me....:eek:

The buckle mechanism doens't go into the hole, but stays in the same OEM position. I am still able to buckle-up.

Just because the belt buckles doesn't mean it's safe. You are taking the belt around the side bolster to buckle. That creates space between your lower torso and the belt, even it t may not feel like it. You aren't just buckling yourself in, u are buckling yourself and the side bolsters in. That is going to allow you to submarine in a strong front impact. Add to this that you now have no front airbag... It's a bad combo. Hope nothing ever happens, but none of us want to see you hurt. Besides, it's higher.... Do you even fit with a helmet?

Back