• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TN/NC Mountain Drive - July 13 - 14, 2019 - Official Announcement

I'm in. Coming from N. Ga. So, I won't make the initial meet-up in Townsend TN. ToD is about 3 hrs from my home. I'll reach that area about ~10am, and rendezvous as the group makes its' way SB on 129, to join the line-up and continue to Robbinsville from there.

see previous post.

Hope everyone has realistic expectations about doing any 'zesty' driving... On a prime-time summer weekend on 129/ToD, it will be a 15-20 mph bumper-to-bumper parade procession, not spirited country driving. Still, it will be nice to convene with other owners. If any participants are up for alternatives, I know the secret stashes of NC mountain byways that escape the attention of the crowds.
This completely. I basically hoping we do 1 Dragon run for those that want to and haven't done it. Otherwise there is a plethora of great roads in the area we can do much more spirited driving on. Hopefully, something of the sorts is the plan. Bringing a Dragon noobie with me riding shotgun.

This completely. I basically hoping we do 1 Dragon run for those that want to and haven't done it. Otherwise there is a plethora of great roads in the area we can do much more spirited driving on. Hopefully, something of the sorts is the plan. Bringing a Dragon noobie with me riding shotgun.

The "official" caravan will start on the foothills parkway which is a nice flowing road, but not a backwoods racetrack due to enforcement, random sight-seers, etc. Likely not much traffic though. From there we'll go up the Dragon from TN to NC before stopping for lunch. From there we'll be on the Cherohala Skyway, which is generally less travelled than the dragon and more flowing vs. switchbacks with a higher speed limit to match, so we have hopefully a good selection. The "good" news is the weather is iffy, which usually keeps the cruiser-bike crowd home.

Liz and I plan to do a little "drivers meeting" before starting the drive to set expectations for those who may be new to the area. If you don't make that, the TL/DR is "stay in your lane, drive within your talent limits, stay in your lane, watch for motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians, stay in your lane, don't speed next to the lake on 129, stay in your lane...." I think folks will get the point ��

Last edited:
Sorry to miss y'all. I opted-out when faced with high probability of rain/thunderstorms. I'm close enough that I have the good fortune to go pretty much at will when the weather if fair. No need to put these assets at risk today.

PnJcrop.jpg

Sorry to miss y'all. I opted-out when faced with high probability of rain/thunderstorms. I'm close enough that I have the good fortune to go pretty much at will when the weather if fair. No need to put these assets at risk today.

No worries Mark, we hope to do something similar annually going forward so pencil it in for next year and we'll hope for a nicer forecast! (In full disclosure 95% of the driving was in essentially dry conditions, with just a sprinkle after lunch).

What a great weekend! Thoroughly enjoyed seeing everyone (again in many cases) and what ended up being some decent driving weather. Josh and Justin are working on editing and getting their photos over to me (which I'll post here, or post links to here). In the meantime, if you want immediate souvenirs from on the dragon proper, here are links to the various photographers by the roadside:

Dragon Photographer links (Killboy, etc.)
Killboy: https://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=10449473&g=04RK03J60C
129 Slayer: https://store.129slayer.com/
129 Photos: https://xtremesportsphotography.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=10452319&g=0QAK03EJ0F
Moonshine Photo: https://moonshinephoto.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=10452172&g=0CVY01M901

Last edited:
... (In full disclosure 95% of the driving was in essentially dry conditions, with just a sprinkle after lunch).
Glad it was mostly dry for you! A good thing, then, that I opted-out... if I was there, it would have then POURED! LOL...
I look forward to trying again next time.

Linking here for those not on social media. I put together a video on my youtube channel that covers most of the event. Great times overall! More photos from Josh/Justin will be forthcoming soon. I haven't rushed them because both donated their time/effort.

Linking here for those not on social media. I put together a video on my youtube channel that covers most of the event. Great times overall! More photos from Josh/Justin will be forthcoming soon. I haven't rushed them because both donated their time/effort.

Thank you Richard and Liz for a great event and super video coverage. This should inspire other NSX owners to participate next season.

Back