• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Torque sensor?

Hello everyone, I’ve been a long time lurker on the forums to help me out with various issues for my 95 NSX manual transmission over the years so super grateful for all of you first and foremost.

I just got my rack and pinion and EPS module rebuilt because I was having the dreaded EPS light that I can get rid of for the life of me so I had finally decided to bite the bullet and get it rebuilt. The auto shop is telling me that I need a torque Sensor but I’ve scoured the forum and Internet. I can’t find that part or any mention of it before. Does anyone know if that’s the same as a speed sensor?

The issue is that the light is still on and the power steering is still not working

Hello everyone, I’ve been a long time lurker on the forums to help me out with various issues for my 95 NSX manual transmission over the years so super grateful for all of you first and foremost.

I just got my rack and pinion and EPS module rebuilt because I was having the dreaded EPS light that I can get rid of for the life of me so I had finally decided to bite the bullet and get it rebuilt. The auto shop is telling me that I need a torque Sensor but I’ve scoured the forum and Internet. I can’t find that part or any mention of it before. Does anyone know if that’s the same as a speed sensor?

The issue is that the light is still on and the power steering is still not working
IIRC, the torque sensor is inside the motor box on the EPS rack. It's not a replaceable part, but NSX Rack Repair has a way to fix them, I think. I would contact them.

IIRC, the torque sensor is inside the motor box on the EPS rack. It's not a replaceable part, but NSX Rack Repair has a way to fix them, I think. I would contact them.
Yeah, even their description says that they repair it so I’m confused why the auto repair shop is telling me that after they got it back and the module the EPS module that the light is still on and it’s due to the torque sensor.

If the EPS light is on, have you shorted out the service check connector to confirm what error code you are getting. There are four torque sensor codes and knowing which code has come up may help you in terms of where to look if you decide to go and trouble shoot. There are other things than the torque sensor that can cause errors for the EPS including the much more common relay failures in the controller.

If NSX Rack Repair did the repair work on both the module and the rack, I presume that they would have done a bench test on the module and the rack. It would be good to call them and ask them to confirm that everything worked with no errors when it was shipped back to you. If they confirmed that everything was working, then I would be inclined to check the wiring harness and the plug connections - particularly the plug for the torque sensor on the rack.

There is a test procedure in the service manual for checking the torque sensor output signal. It does require an interposing test harness to measure the torque sensor voltages. However, if you get creative with back probes I think you should be able to measure the voltages right at the torque sensor plug.

There is both a torque sensor and a speed sensor in the rack. Honda sometimes refers to the speed sensor as a position sensor in the service manual. They are both inside the same input housing on the rack. Neither part is available from Honda or separately repairable - according to the service manual. NSX Rack Repair has a fix for the drive gear for the speed sensor. I don't know whether they can repair damage to the torque sensor or speed sensor, particularly if it is something like a failure inside the winding of the torque sensing primary and secondary coils. The interface module may be fixable as long as it is not potted in epoxy.

So:
1 - get the actual EPS error codes to more closely determine where the problem is
2 - call NSX Rack Repair to determine if they bench tested everything to confirm that it was all functional. If you have the actual error code you can quiz them on what the problem might be.
3 - if NSX Rack Repair tested the repair before shipping it back, check the wiring harness and connectors
4 - carry out the tests as described in the service manual which should confirm whether the torque sensor is actually faulty and what component is faulty. If the actual torque sensor tests out as faulty, then you can take that up with NSX Rack Repair as to whether they can fix that.

If the EPS light is on, have you shorted out the service check connector to confirm what error code you are getting. There are four torque sensor codes and knowing which code has come up may help you in terms of where to look if you decide to go and trouble shoot. There are other things than the torque sensor that can cause errors for the EPS including the much more common relay failures in the controller.

If NSX Rack Repair did the repair work on both the module and the rack, I presume that they would have done a bench test on the module and the rack. It would be good to call them and ask them to confirm that everything worked with no errors when it was shipped back to you. If they confirmed that everything was working, then I would be inclined to check the wiring harness and the plug connections - particularly the plug for the torque sensor on the rack.

There is a test procedure in the service manual for checking the torque sensor output signal. It does require an interposing test harness to measure the torque sensor voltages. However, if you get creative with back probes I think you should be able to measure the voltages right at the torque sensor plug.

There is both a torque sensor and a speed sensor in the rack. Honda sometimes refers to the speed sensor as a position sensor in the service manual. They are both inside the same input housing on the rack. Neither part is available from Honda or separately repairable - according to the service manual. NSX Rack Repair has a fix for the drive gear for the speed sensor. I don't know whether they can repair damage to the torque sensor or speed sensor, particularly if it is something like a failure inside the winding of the torque sensing primary and secondary coils. The interface module may be fixable as long as it is not potted in epoxy.

So:
1 - get the actual EPS error codes to more closely determine where the problem is
2 - call NSX Rack Repair to determine if they bench tested everything to confirm that it was all functional. If you have the actual error code you can quiz them on what the problem might be.
3 - if NSX Rack Repair tested the repair before shipping it back, check the wiring harness and connectors
4 - carry out the tests as described in the service manual which should confirm whether the torque sensor is actually faulty and what component is faulty. If the actual torque sensor tests out as faulty, then you can take that up with NSX Rack Repair as to whether they can fix that.
You guys are the best! Thank you! I got the car up on the lift now and will have the mech check that out, very much appreciated

Have your mechanic call NSX rack repair. They were very helpful helping me troubleshoot my issue and really stand behind their work.

Back