• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Treadwear/Wear Mark

This has also been posted on the NSX-Tech list.

On my second set of yoko OEM rears, I have managed to get about 8500 miles compared to 6000 miles I got on the first set with perhaps more track time with this set; but with this set I have been running at 38 psi instead of the 40 psi. I am NOT complaining ..... ;-)

However even at 38 psi, the center is wearing much too sooner that the sides. The last 300 miles I have been running at 36 psi.

My question is this: the rear right and especially left have now reached the treadwear mark. The left is at par with the treadwear. How many more hwy/twisty mixed miles can I still get out of these before seeing the silver lining underneath ........ I already have a brand new pair in the garage but wanted to maximize the wear on these ......

We have a club road trip scheduled for this Saturday from Sacto to Tahoe/Reno and back, probably about 300 miles with some spirited driving <g> ....... I showed the wear to America's Tire store which said it should be OK if I do not hit water, they even recommended going to as low as 34 psi or lower without affecting built-up heat in the tires under "normal" driving ......

Any suggestions?

A few general principles:

1. When using street tires, when the tread wear bars are flat all the way across the tire, it's time to replace it. CAN you continue to drive it? Yes, but... SHOULD you continue to drive it? No, not really. They will perform very poorly in the wet, and not that great in the dry, either. (Slicks, for example, are sticky NOT because they lack tread, but because they are made of very soft rubber that can grip without the benefit of tread blocks.)

2. Track tires, used on the track, can continue to be used when the tread is worn out. HOWEVER, be very wary of any belts showing, or of any blisters or other maladies that can be the first symptoms that you are about to reach the belts.

3. Greater treadwear in the center of the tire is normally a sign of overinflation. However, once you're down to the treadbars, using lower pressure isn't going to affect the wear pattern a whole lot; your tires are worn out at that point.

How many more hwy/twisty mixed miles can I still get out of these before seeing the silver lining underneath ........ I already have a brand new pair in the garage but wanted to maximize the wear on these ......

If the treadwear bars are flat across, I would replace them before your trip. You PROBABLY would make it all the way without reaching the belts and everything would PROBABLY be fine... but at best, they won't be gripping all that well, and at worst, it could be wet or you could reach the belts. What's the point - to get an extra 4 percent more out of the life of your tires? I wouldn't risk it.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 31 October 2001).]

Originally posted by Hrant:

My question is this: the rear right and especially left have now reached the treadwear mark. The left is at par with the treadwear. How many more hwy/twisty mixed miles can I still get out of these before seeing the silver lining underneath ........ I already have a brand new pair in the garage but wanted to maximize the wear on these ......

We have a club road trip scheduled for this Saturday from Sacto to Tahoe/Reno and back, probably about 300 miles with some spirited driving <g> ....... I showed the wear to America's Tire store which said it should be OK if I do not hit water, they even recommended going to as low as 34 psi or lower without affecting built-up heat in the tires under "normal" driving ......

U'll be fine as long as the lowest point is the at the treadwear bar. Even a bit lower should be fine for 300 miles spirited driving. I drove before with treadbar accross in a track for 150 miles and go home fine.

Back